Satellite transponders/frequencies

holidayboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by holidayboy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 am

That add in looks very interesting Tony, keep us updated once you give it a go!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:54 pm

holidayboy wrote:That add in looks very interesting Tony, keep us updated once you give it a go!
Will do, hopefully we don't have too much recording over the next couple of nights so I can 'fiddle' as the wife calls it :D

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:32 am

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... pdate#tabs

WOWZERS.... I ONLY GOT A RESPONSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lee

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:27 pm

Nice!
Rob.

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:17 am

Hi, I recently moved to a poor area for terrestrial, having had a TBS 6280 in my Windows 7 running WMC quite happily. I installed a dish and got hold of TBS 6982 thinking this would be a breeze. How wrong I was! I have WMC "Sort of" working by adding extra manual scans, but many channels in the guide report no signal, and I have been unable to get BBC2 HD from 10847. I use Guide Tool (http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/) to manage the guide manually too.

Having read this thread, I was unsure what the Hauppauge Windows patch actually does, and if it is of any use to me. Does this override WMC's "auto" on parameters like modulation, FEC etc even for non-Hauppauge tuners, or is it only useful for Hauppauge users. I also understood that only certain Hauppaguge tuners read the satellite data imported into the registry also. Can anyone enlighten me? I don't expect Hauppauge are that interested in supporting TBS users, and having tried TBS for support I have not heard anything from them. Any advice on either:
1. How to automate the manual scan of 30+ frequencies, or,
2. How to overcome WMC's reporting no signal when there should be,
would be VERY welcome.

asm495

Post by asm495 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 am

I have a two DVB-S2 satellite cards (6981s if I remember correctly). Neither of these has needed the Hauppauge patch. I just scanned the additional transponders manually to pick up all the required channels which work fine.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:38 pm

I set up a 6982 last weekend and I had no need for the patch.

I did however need to adjust the frequencies on a few transponders.

There seems to be so something a bit off with the tbs driver as this also happened when I scanned using DVBLink.

Maybe try scanning 10848 and 10849 etc for a laugh.

I'll check the custom .ini file I made for DVBlink.
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:00 pm

My 6982 finds channels OK on 10847 - have you double checked all fields?

10847 V 23000

I think it used to be 22000

I've attached my custom .ini in case you want to try scanning some of the other transponders with the edited frequencies to see if you get some more working channels.

The green bars showed in MC when the correct frequencies were scanned - but no channels were found.

I've contacted TBS to see if it is a driver issue, or if I've maybe I've got a duff card...
0283.zip
Custom scanning frequencies for TBS6982
(840 Bytes) Downloaded 66 times
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Regarding the non working channels, I tend to run through TV setup, disable all pre-scanned DVB-S channels and then enable them one by one to get just the working ones in the guide.

Then I do manual scans afterwards on just the transponders I need and do the final clear up of unwanted channels plus renumber etc....

I've managed to get all tuners working in DVBLink now that I've tracked down the frequency issue so I'll be going back to that method shortly.
Rob.

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks holidayboy - all useful stuff. I tried scanning from 10845 to 10849 to no avail.

BBC TWO HD was in the pre-scanned guide having done initial setup for Astra A,B,D and Eurobird (It seems you cannot do initial setup with an empty guide). However, it always reports no signal. It seems that once the channel is in the guide, a new scan won't add it in as a "new channel". Even disabling the BBC TWO HD channel (or removing it using Guide Tool) I cannot get a scan to find it on the transponder and add it back into the guide.

I am getting BBC ONE HD just fine, and that is on the same frequency/transponder - so I can't see why there could be no signal on BBC TWO HD.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:53 pm

It might be worth looking in the edit channels menu for channel names beginning with 6940 - 6943 I think - that's just from memory though (the SID sometimes shows up as the channel name).

I assume you have checked the edit channels menu after the scan in case it has been found, but not added to the guide?

Also, check the sources for the BBC TWO HD channel to ensure that the correct details are being used - www.kingofsat.info is a good place to check all the details (SID / PID etc..)
Rob.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 pm

MGilbert wrote:Thanks holidayboy - all useful stuff. I tried scanning from 10845 to 10849 to no avail.

BBC TWO HD was in the pre-scanned guide having done initial setup for Astra A,B,D and Eurobird (It seems you cannot do initial setup with an empty guide). However, it always reports no signal. It seems that once the channel is in the guide, a new scan won't add it in as a "new channel". Even disabling the BBC TWO HD channel (or removing it using Guide Tool) I cannot get a scan to find it on the transponder and add it back into the guide.

I am getting BBC ONE HD just fine, and that is on the same frequency/transponder - so I can't see why there could be no signal on BBC TWO HD.
Sorry, I may have glossed over the steps to clear the guide, I don't know if you've needed to play with channel sources etc with DVB-T?:

Tasks>settings>TV>Guide>Edit Channels

You can click on disable all channels straight after setting up TV and then do a fresh scan of transponders - only newly found channels will then be in the guide.
Rob.

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Oh, and I should add that I can get BBC TWO HD and all the usual Freesat channels using NextPVR and ProgDVBn (comes with TBS), so I am fairly sure that the hardware and dish etc are all setup OK. It's just WMC that is playing up - even with a fresh install of Windows 7.

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:11 pm

Couple of ideas here I haven't tried, but will do so and report back....

Thanks again.

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:21 pm

I have followed your instructions - all I can say is brilliant, thanks.

What I didn't know was that when you do a transponder scan, it lists and enables new channels (if it can), but it also updates the locator info on channels already in the guide without listing them. However, it doesn't enable them, you have to locate them by name, check the locator info and then re-enable those you need. All very time-consuming, but at least it makes sense and you can control what is going on.

My mistake was that I thought I had to remove unwanted channels (using 3rd party tools) rather than disable them. If you do this, WMC seems to ignore removed channels on a transponder scan, and won't pop them back in the guide when found.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Good stuff :thumbup:
Rob.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36 am

Wish I'd seen this earlier could av saved u time! BBC 2 hd never works on first run as it has the old BBC HD info, when you scan/rescan the transponders it comes to life!! I stopped using guidetool for reasons similar to u described. Once deleted a channel cannot be retrieved you have to reset WMC.
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 am

Oh and Rob top tip on disabling all channels then scanning!!!!
Lee

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:42 pm

So, I have a follow-up question. I am considering putting my DVB-T2 tuner card (6820) back in to get Freeview channels not on Freesat (Dave, Yesterday etc). I have heard from another forum that TBS say you can operate their T2 and S2 tuners side by side in the PC, and I expect WMC will simply treat these as multiple sources, BUT, would this put me back to square one with garbled S2 channels after the signal setup, or will WMC allow me to ADD the T2 setup data without destroying the S2 setup I have laboured to achieve?

MGilbert

Post by MGilbert » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:47 pm

TBS 6280 that should read...