How to set which user profile completes the Recorded TV

shooter71

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to set which user profile completes the Recorded TV

Post by shooter71 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:02 am

I have been using WMC for a number of years on both XP and W7. My current Dell PC running W7 has two user profiles created. I have always set all recordings through User 1 and no matter if no user was logged into W7 or if either one of the user profiles was logged in, WMC always showed the recording under User 1. Now, for what ever reason, some recording (not all) are occuring under User 2. When User 2 profile is the user in which WMC is recording under, I will get an error message if I am logged in as User 1 that there is no TV signal available and the scheduled recording cannot be completed. If I log out of User 1 and log into User 2, I see that the same show is indeed being recorded.

I have not see this conflict in the past and for some reason, WMC does not think it is recording a scheduled recording under User 1 when it is indeed recording under User 2.

Is there a corrupt file somewhere or a setting that was messed with that is affecting this issue? As User 1 is the one that sets up all the programs, It is not clear on WMC is geting confused as to which user should show the recording status.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:59 am

Media Centre is happy working with different users (this is how extenders work) so something has gone wrong here. It shouldn't matter what user you use to set up the tuners or schedule the recordings.

Now, I'm not sure what has gone wrong though. It could be that your WMC database has become corrupt, so deleting it may help. But it would mean having to do all the set up again.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

shooter71

Post by shooter71 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:10 pm

How do I delete the WMC database? When you mean set it all back up, are you referring to having to re-install WMC again, or just all the settings within WMC like my recorded TV schedule, picture librarys, media extenders and the like?

How should WMC working when a TV recording is in process and I am logged as either user - should I see the red recording taskbar in the lower right corner of my W7 no matter which user I am logged in? I did a quick test in which I scheduled a new recording under User 1 and when the red status icon showed up in the lower right corner, I new the recording started. I logged in as User 2 and there was no red icon shown. However, if I opened up WMC I could see through the TV guide that the show was indeed being recorded. I don't recall how my PC worked before I started having my issue so not sure how it showed behave.

If anyone else has any ideas on what may be going on before I delete the WMC data base, please let me know.