XBox One & WMC Setup

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 am

Yes, by all means... most certainly... buy a new Microsoft XBox One for $500, and then kludge it together with Microsoft Windows, a 3rd party IR receiver and 3rd party software! Who would ever expect Microsoft to make their new flagship console work with their flagship operating system without 3rd party hardware and software?

It all makes sense to me. :clap: :wtf: :eh: :crazy: :lolno: :problem: :shh: :shifty: :sick: :silent: :think: :thumbdown: :oops: :( :o :shock: :? :lol: :x :P :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?:

mistereff

Post by mistereff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 pm

So I came in here for this topic and I wanted to say my setup works really well with my HDMI going from my WMC PC to the xbone. Voice commands are amazing and I don't mind having to use my remote for watching recorded tv and for other stuff like. My only issue is that sometimes when I turn on the xbox my media center is no longer full screen and I have to grab my mouse, minimize WMC and maximize it again to get it full screen. Was anyone having this issue and was able to get it fixed or is it just me?

scyto

Post by scyto » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:55 am

My MCE shows xbox as 2 channel, that is just for the analog. My machine outputs DD through the nvidia video card just fine. The xbox one works perfectly with it.

Gustovier

Post by Gustovier » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:28 am

VistaVick wrote:Well, I finally got around to connecting the xbox one to a 5.1 surround system and receiver.

But I have been unable to get 5.1 audio working using the HTPC passthrough and windows media center to watch tv. It passes audio to the receiver as dts, but does not make use of all the speakers.

I can get 5.1 audio playing a bluray, some games, and netflix.

I have tried using both an hdmi cable to the receiver and an optical cable from the xbox one. I tried disabling hdmi audio in the xbox one settings and enabling optical, and all the different options 5.1, 7,1. dts etc.

I tried enabling the beta tv surround sound feature.

I think the issue may be is in the HTPC sound control panel, the xbox audio device (using intel display audio), only shows 2 speakers, and will not let me add more.

I found other posts around the net with the same issue, but here, it seems some have been able to get 5.1 working with tv from htpcs. Could this be a driver issue or problem with motherboards using intel hdmi audio?
I have this same problem. I already enabled the beta 5.1 passthru on the xbox one. I'm using an intel nuc which uses the intel hdmi drivers. Anyone figure this one out?

Gustovier

Post by Gustovier » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Please refer here for 5.1 audio setup from htpc to xbox one hdmi in

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 886#p71886

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm

After reading through all these pages I wanna confirm that the following setup will work for me.

My cable (Time-Warner in San Antonio) come in and goes into my HDhomerun Prime. From there, the Prime is connected to my router. My Xbox 360 is on the other side of my living room from my HTPC and connected to the router. I would then plug the HDMI from the Xbox into the Xbox One HDMI IN. Then, I would plug the HDMI from the One into the HDMI on my TV (I do not use an receiver for sound yet).

Since I have no real desire to talk to my Xbox, will I have complete control over media center with a remote in this set up just like my 360 does?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Should work fine. Just keep pointing your remote at the 360 as always. But may I ask why bother doing this if you don't want to talk to your Xbox? Have you run out of HDMI ports on your TV?

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:44 pm

Mostly its for the wife. Technology and her just don't get along. She knows how to use the remote for the 360 fairly well when I'm not around. I want to make sure that the basics of recording a show and changing the channels etc. work the same as we have now. I don't want to change too much at once so she does not get confused. I figure I can always show her the spoken commands later.

Is there any videos out there that show this setup working and what the issues are?

Thanks again

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 13, 2014 6:59 pm

I still don't understand why simply keeping your 360 connected to your TV as it is today wouldn't be simpler and better than passing it through the One.

Anyway, there are a few tips scattered throughout the thread: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 599#p65599

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:51 pm

In the set up that I described, the 360 would be using the passthrough on the Xbox one, not plugged into the TV separately. Its so I will be able to use all the functions of an Xbox extender while in the Xbox One's interface for a seamless experience. I have seen a couple of videos that show the extender functions working in the One's TV interface and wanted to confirm how well it works before I make such a large purchase.

oldpueblo

Post by oldpueblo » Tue May 13, 2014 9:20 pm

I'll add my two cents for why you can send the 360 through the Xbone. You can easily transition from TV to youtube to netflix to whatever and then right back again. No HDMI switching and you can even use voice for almost all of it. When watching TV through my 360 then through my Xbone I can actually say Xbox pause and it will pause the media center on the 360. Play works, stop, etc. (this works depending on how you set your 360 up as a device on the Xbone) The only things that don't work are navigating around the media center UI. You still need the remote for that. But being able to verbally pause/play the media center is very useful. It's happened many times where we've paused a TV show to flip to youtube to see something or played a game, then flipped right back and continued watching our show. On the 360 you had to exit back to the home screen every time you switched apps, and not only does it take an annoyingly long time but you can't leave what you were doing previously there.

The only downside is that we have to have both on at the same time for TV. But that'd be true of a cable box as well, so not too big a deal. The one thing I've had limited success with is the Xbone won't always turn on the 360 automatically, like it does the sound bar and TV. And I don't think it's ever auto turned it off either, but I suspect this is related to finding the proper remote code to set it up with under the Xbone devices. But if they added MCE ability to the Xbone then we could leave the 360 off and only use it when we played older games. Also I'd recommend picking up some kind of Harmony smart remote that can control all the devices. Mine controls our TV, soundbar, Xbone, and 360 all together. Very handy and it was the cheapest remote model.

Maybe I'll do a video to demonstrate this sometime.

Dgr_874

Post by Dgr_874 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:53 am

Thank you for the great info!

I would be very interested in seeing a video of it all in action.

johny3

Post by johny3 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:14 pm

got so excited today with a post about more file format support from the xbox one...
and then saw no .wtv format supported and still no wmc.

I too am using the 360-> xbox one pass-thru but would rather have it right on the one.
that being said, bought an old 360 to add another extender

merleau79

Post by merleau79 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:06 am

When I connect my Xbox One to my laptop I get a message "Display Driver Error: The video playback device does not support playback of protected content." I am able to watch WMC on my laptop so I am confused why this error comes up. I am also able to hook my laptop up to my HDTV. I am nervous because I just ordered a tower that I will plug into my Xbox One to view on my TV and I'm afraid this message come up on this. Any thoughts?

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:40 pm

I need some help... since i can't seem to get an answer on the Xbox One forum

I have a Dell Zino HD that is a dell's purpose built WMC. It comes with a built in IR Reciever (on the case) and a philips RC260 remote. I use Windows 7 WMC with Intelliremote and it also reports it as a "Philips IR Dongle". (but it is all internal).

I can't get the Xbox One/Kinect to power on/off change channel on this Dell Zino HD. And I did use the "Media Center PC" as the Cable/Satellite but it can't find it. Obviously i don't know the Remote control code. I have even gone as far as facing the front of the Dell Zino HD in front of the Xbox One and the Kinect to see if it was blocking it, still nothing.

So here is what I want to know....

1) Anyone else have know a way I can get this to work.
2) If no one knows, which USB IR Reciever package I can buy to replace the built in one to get it all working.

Thanks!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:06 pm

Some MC Pc and their remotes do not have the option for on/off and if you use a MC remote with on/off in their presence you'll see why. So check that out. If you want codes http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2063,d.cGU

Goes to a MS paper on MC remotes (both V1 and V2) and their codes, button mapping, more than you ever wanted to know. Does your Zino have a tuner built in? and did the remote that came with it offer on/off and channel up/down? This is usually a driver issue in the PC and you can buy a MC remote from places like Newegg that will come with a receiver and a driver disc. I just don't know of the Xbox has the codes you need.

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:14 pm

JohnW248 wrote:Some MC PC and their remotes do not have the option for on/off and if you use a MC remote with on/off in their presence you'll see why. So check that out. If you want codes http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 2063,d.cGU
Thank you for the link I will have to go through the information and see what works for me
JohnW248 wrote:Goes to a MS paper on MC remotes (both V1 and V2) and their codes, button mapping, more than you ever wanted to know. Does your Zino have a tuner built in? and did the remote that came with it offer on/off and channel up/down? This is usually a driver issue in the PC and you can buy a MC remote from places like Newegg that will come with a receiver and a driver disc. I just don't know of the Xbox has the codes you need.
No I am using a HD HomeRun Prime as my tuner via WMC(all that works fine)... and yes the RC260 came with the Zino originally, and it does everything what it supposed to. Change channels, get the guide..etc... However! The "power" button on the remote basically work off of what Windows 7's Power Management settings are.

I don't mind spending a few bucks to get the "right" remote/reciever package. Any recommendations?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:44 am

My Dell remote that I got with a XPS 420 didn't have on/off and neither did the remote that came with my HP Pavillion. When I used a remote from a Linksys DMA2100/2200 it shut down the computer and I had to pull the power plug to reset it. There was no way to turn it on again. Almost any "green button" remote will work with the exception of the HP 280N which uses different codes (or re-programmed codes). The Standard MC remote can be reprogrammed to several different base settings like the old Sony VCR 1, 2, 3 switch. There was a paper on the Ceton Echo and changing remote codes, don't know if that's still on the Ceton knowledge base or not but it applies to all the "standard" green button remotes covered in the V2 MC remote book.

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:11 pm

uh-oh... I got one of these....

sounds like its the XPS remote?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150551230956

mbze430

Post by mbze430 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:13 am

Ok I got the IR Receiver and remote.. but the XBOX ONE isn't working with it either... When I do the Cable/Satellite setup I enter "Media Center PC"... but then it say the command don't work, and wants me to either "enter it".

HELP!!!!!!!