more networking problems

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
nadspink

HTPC Specs: Show details

more networking problems

Post by nadspink » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:16 pm

just replaced my router and apparently drm is based off your ip address when you network the tuner. anyone know how to reset drm without having to go back and setup the tuner again.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:11 pm

Well that's just stupid. What does an IP address have to do with DRM???

That said, there's no way to "reset" DRM. The only thing you can do is put the hardware back the way it was.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 pm

It doesn't and never has. It certainly wouldn't be tied to his public IP anyway.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:37 am

mikinho over at ceton told me of a registry change i could make but i had already gone through tv setup. the drm status changed after the ip address changed.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:16 am

That's a Ceton failure. The IP should never be part of the DRM mechanism. They should be using the MAC of a NIC and the Hard Drive ID to generate the DRM keys. IP's change all the time. Although this is another good case for proving why DRM sucks and why no one should buy or use anything that includes it.

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:29 am

would definitely agree with that. drm has been the biggest headache i've had since getting the ceton card. i love having it but i could do without all the drm crap.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:15 am

Venom51 wrote:That's a Ceton failure. The IP should never be part of the DRM mechanism. They should be using the MAC of a NIC and the Hard Drive ID to generate the DRM keys. IP's change all the time. Although this is another good case for proving why DRM sucks and why no one should buy or use anything that includes it.
The DRM in no way uses the IP address. Windows does use network cards for some DRM-related functionality, but the IP address is not involved in this.

As long as the InfiniTV has network connectivity (assuming you are bridging) it doesn't care what router you are using.

Something else happened. When you say DRM, what is the exact error you were getting?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:34 pm

after changing the router tuner wouldn't bring up any channels giving a viewing conflict so i checked the cards web status page and it was showing red in the WMDRM status. Michael Welter said this "The is an issue with Media Center and the InfiniTV not establishing a DRM pair.

Go to the below registry key and under each subkey check the IP address that is listed as the Host value. If it doesn’t match the current IP address manually override it and then reboot

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\ehPrivJob\AllowedTestUPnPTunerDevices]"

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:22 pm

nadspink wrote:after changing the router tuner wouldn't bring up any channels giving a viewing conflict so i checked the cards web status page and it was showing red in the WMDRM status. Michael Welter said this "The is an issue with Media Center and the InfiniTV not establishing a DRM pair.

Go to the below registry key and under each subkey check the IP address that is listed as the Host value. If it doesn’t match the current IP address manually override it and then reboot

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\ehPrivJob\AllowedTestUPnPTunerDevices]"
OK so it wasn't a DRM problem at all. The DRM pairing being red wasn't actually a DRM problem - your PC hadn't found the tuner (and without finding it, it won't have DRM pairing). That registry key is normally used to allow Media Center to discover network tuners.
My guess is your tuner had a different IP address after changing the router, and that was the root cause of this issue.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:52 pm

And this is where letting DHCP handle your addressing gets you into trouble when you are sharing devices around the network. Devices that are shared and expected to be available should be configured with a static IP. That way no matter how many routers you change out as long as you use the same subnet of addresses than the machine will know where to find the tuner. Again as I have stated in other threads the only devices that should be getting DHCP addresses in your netowrk are those mobile devices that come and go from your home. If it's a permanent resident on your network just give it a static IP address.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 am

erkotz wrote:My guess is your tuner had a different IP address after changing the router, and that was the root cause of this issue.
Sounds like a change between 129.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

nadspink

Post by nadspink » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:46 pm

i have been thinking of buying a few extra network cards and seting up another router so that the tuner could actually run on a seperate network. that way there would be no problems when i change settings in the router connected to the internet. this all happened because my network was hacked and the i was using was a t-mobile @home voip router and the log on those isn't very good. half the time when i checked network status it wouldn't even show the devices connected.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:54 pm

nadspink wrote:i have been thinking of buying a few extra network cards and seting up another router so that the tuner could actually run on a seperate network. that way there would be no problems when i change settings in the router connected to the internet. this all happened because my network was hacked and the i was using was a t-mobile @home voip router and the log on those isn't very good. half the time when i checked network status it wouldn't even show the devices connected.
Some network cards let you used VLAN tagged ports and set up virtual interfaces - you could tag the interface the card is plugged into, and have 2 virtual NICs if yours supports it.

STC

Post by STC » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:04 pm

erkotz you have a PM sir :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123