Can't Watch Copy Protected Channels on Surface 2 Pro

michael1vas

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't Watch Copy Protected Channels on Surface 2 Pro

Post by michael1vas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I just bought Surface 2 Pro and set it up with HDHomerun Prime (TWC is my cable provider). Local channels work fine, but every copy protected channel gives me "The video playback device does not support playback of protected content" error after 1-2 seconds of playback. I've tried minimizing the Media Center window, but this had no effect. I also tried disabling exclusive mode for audio devices. Has anyone been able to watch copy protected TV on Surface?

Regards,
Michael

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:13 pm

From what I can tell, the Surface Pro 2 appears to connect the screen to the motherboard via DisplayPort. WMC does not allow copy-protected content to be transmitted over DisplayPort. This is because WMC has not been updated to reflect changes to the OCUR specification that went into effect earlier this year.

michael1vas

Post by michael1vas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks Richard, Do you think it is different for Surface Pro 1?

Regards,
Michael

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Michael, maybe you can be our hero and convince Microsoft to actually fix this problem in Media Center? Since you purchased a Microsoft device/OS, you should get support for that device. Richard can provide you with links to prove that the OCUR specification allows Display Port devices. So, if you can convince Microsoft of this fact, then maybe you can get them to fix the code.

I think the Surface Pro tablets are very cool, but the price... well, I can buy three laptops for the price of one Surface Pro. This limitation is just one more reason why I won't be buying a Surface tablet.

michael1vas

Post by michael1vas » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36 pm

I will visit the Microsoft store later today. Let's see what they have to say about this.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 am

I'd like to clarify that I do not know for sure if the internal connector on the Surface Pro 2 is in fact DisplayPort. However, the information that I have been able to find suggests that it is.

Here's a link to the current OCUR specification: http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications ... 130607.pdf

On page 38, footnote 12:

"HDCP active on digital display outputs (such as DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort)"

On page 44, under the ECN list for I11:

"Clarification to allow HDCP output on digital outputs other than DVI and HDMI"

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:52 am

Are you sure WMC cares about whether the interface is HDMI, DVI, or displayport as long as HDCP is present? I don't think it does....

But this thread suggests HDCP is broken on the original surface pro if hyper-V is enabled as well, which breaks blu-ray players as well as media center protected content. Maybe it's still broken on Surface Pro 2? Have you tried disabling Hyper-V if it is turned on?

Have to love the MS answer:
I notice it is a third party software confliction issue. I suggest contacting High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection support for help.
This "BD & 3D advisor" tool from cyberlink will verify whether the connection to the monitor is HDCP -- I'm pretty sure cyberlink allows blu-ray playback on displayport, as long as the encryption is there.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 am

I'll have to look if there's a Surface Pro around the office. There's little room for MS to pass the buck on this one this time.
richard1980 wrote:I'd like to clarify that I do not know for sure if the internal connector on the Surface Pro 2 is in fact DisplayPort. However, the information that I have been able to find suggests that it is.

Here's a link to the current OCUR specification: http://www.cablelabs.com/specifications ... 130607.pdf

On page 38, footnote 12:

"HDCP active on digital display outputs (such as DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort)"

On page 44, under the ECN list for I11:

"Clarification to allow HDCP output on digital outputs other than DVI and HDMI"
I wrote the ECR that mage that change. It is my understanding that CableLabs never intended to block DisplayPort (with HDCP) however the specification was written without it in mind - the change was just to clarify that it was alowed.

glugglug wrote:Are you sure WMC cares about whether the interface is HDMI, DVI, or displayport as long as HDCP is present? I don't think it does....

But this thread suggests HDCP is broken on the original surface pro if hyper-V is enabled as well, which breaks blu-ray players as well as media center protected content. Maybe it's still broken on Surface Pro 2? Have you tried disabling Hyper-V if it is turned on?

Have to love the MS answer:
I notice it is a third party software confliction issue. I suggest contacting High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection support for help.
This "BD & 3D advisor" tool from cyberlink will verify whether the connection to the monitor is HDCP -- I'm pretty sure cyberlink allows blu-ray playback on displayport, as long as the encryption is there.
It does.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:48 pm

glugglug wrote:Are you sure WMC cares about whether the interface is HDMI, DVI, or displayport as long as HDCP is present?
I used to have a laptop with a built-in display that was connected via DisplayPort. Copy-protected content would not play in Media Center. The same laptop, connected to an external display via HDMI would play the copy-protected content via Media Center. If you connect an external display using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, Media Center will play copy-protected content just fine, because it detects the connection as HDMI in that case.

So, yes, Media Center cares. It was written to honor the original CableLabs spec. It was never updated to reflect the changes to the CableLabs spec.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:54 pm

erkotz wrote:There's little room for MS to pass the buck on this one this time.
Go get 'em!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:24 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:If you connect an external display using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, Media Center will play copy-protected content just fine, because it detects the connection as HDMI in that case.
Are you sure about that? That certainly is not the correct behavior...it is "HDCP over DisplayPort" at the PC side of the adapter.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:42 pm

richard1980 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:If you connect an external display using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter, Media Center will play copy-protected content just fine, because it detects the connection as HDMI in that case.
Are you sure about that? That certainly is not the correct behavior...it is "HDCP over DisplayPort" at the PC side of the adapter.
There was a post just recently that reports that this configuration works.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:17 pm

richard1980 wrote:
That's actually not true - the adapters (generally) are passive and simply physical adapters - the PC stops using DP signaling and starts using DVI signaling. This configuration does work.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

michael1vas

Post by michael1vas » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:22 pm

erkotz wrote:I'll have to look if there's a Surface Pro around the office. There's little room for MS to pass the buck on this one this time.
It would be great if you could check this. By the way, I see there is a CetonCorp tweet from Oct-5 about watching live TV on surface pro.

Regards,
Michael

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:40 pm

erkotz wrote:
richard1980 wrote:
That's actually not true - the adapters (generally) are passive and simply physical adapters - the PC stops using DP signaling and starts using DVI signaling. This configuration does work.
Ahh, that makes sense.

amador

Post by amador » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 am

I am having the issue. Has there been an update?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:25 am

amador wrote:I am having the issue. Has there been an update?
Well, no... is the display connected via Display Port?

amador

Post by amador » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:31 pm

It works thru the display port but I want to be able to watch TV around the house

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:38 pm

amador wrote:It works thru the display port
I'm not sure what you mean by that. If the built-in display is connected (internally) using a Display Port adapter, then you will not be able to watch copy-protected content on the tablet.

michael1vas

Post by michael1vas » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

I wasn't able to fix this issue and Intel's utility does show that display's connector type is "Embedded DisplayPort" which confirms previous assumptions in this thread. So my TV watching on Surface is limited to local channels :(

If someone knows how to open a ticket for Media Center, I will log this as defect and try to get a response from Microsoft. After all, if Media Center is now a "pay for" feature, we should be able to get some kind of support for our money....