InfiniTV6 ETH w/Windows 8.1 mini Tablet (x86)

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jfreiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV6 ETH w/Windows 8.1 mini Tablet (x86)

Post by jfreiman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I just got a new Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet - quad core Atom, x86

Ive upgraded it to 8.1 Pro Media Center, connected it to my \\Recorded TV\ shared folder and streaming HDTV wtv files so far works flawlessly in my home.

Hat I would like to do now is connect to one tuner on my InfiniTV6 ETH so that I could watch live programming directly on my tablet.

Trouble is, the Ceton Win 8.x driver is only x64 compatible.

Does anyone know a work around?

bjstick

Post by bjstick » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

You're probably best off loading 64-bit Windows 8.1. The Atom processor in that machine is x86-64.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:05 pm

bjstick wrote:You're probably best off loading 64-bit Windows 8.1. The Atom processor in that machine is x86-64.

No, this generation does not have the 64 but instructions.

I extracted the Windows 7 driver and modified the msi file to ignore the OS version.

I can now watch and record live HDTV on my tablet.

I am now very happy.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Some of the unique features for tablets in windows 8 is only available in the 32 bit version. The reason being is Microsoft believed most consumers using tablets would never need a 64 bit version of windows. Though the chip can handle 64 bit you will loose some features that help with battery life such as connected stand by. You are better off waiting until Q1 next year when the 64 bit version for tablets come out. Also I wouldn't put 64 bit windows on that tablet, you only have 2 gigs of memory in it. Intel is also releasing specific chips next year with better 64 bit support for enterprise users so I really wouldn't use this chip on 64bit windows. Ceton needs to release a 32 bit version for windows 8.1 especially with the amount of new full fledged windows 8 tablets coming out in the next year.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

epayson85 wrote:Some of the unique features for tablets in windows 8 is only available in the 32 bit version. The reason being is Microsoft believed most consumers using tablets would never need a 64 bit version of windows. Though the chip can handle 64 bit you will loose some features that help with battery life such as connected stand by. You are better off waiting until Q1 next year when the 64 bit version for tablets come out. Also I wouldn't put 64 bit windows on that tablet, you only have 2 gigs of memory in it. Intel is also releasing specific chips next year with better 64 bit support for enterprise users so I really wouldn't use this chip on 64bit windows. Ceton needs to release a 32 bit version for windows 8.1 especially with the amount of new full fledged windows 8 tablets coming out in the next year.
Wow, thanks for reiteration what the previous poster had said re x64. Instead of listening to 'previous reports' I looked up the specs on Intel's website and you are both very correct!

Sorry for doubting.

lawguy

Post by lawguy » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 pm

jfreiman wrote:
bjstick wrote:You're probably best off loading 64-bit Windows 8.1. The Atom processor in that machine is x86-64.

No, this generation does not have the 64 but instructions.

I extracted the Windows 7 driver and modified the msi file to ignore the OS version.

I can now watch and record live HDTV on my tablet.

I am now very happy.
I installed the driver as you suggested but I run into a problem after I select the tuner to be installed. I get an error: hresult: 0x80070003

I assume that you did not encounter this?

lawguy

Post by lawguy » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:04 pm

I thankfully got the Infinitv working with the Venue 8 Pro.

I could not avoid the error in the post mentioned above. But, after running WMC setup as far as I could, I then went to the Ceton Diagnotic utility and manually discovered tuners. Then, when I opened WMC again, I was taken right to the tuner setup and it went along as it should.

I think may the Intel video drivers are not mature? When trying to play HBO, it starts to play but cuts out and then I get a protected content error.

Also, streaming HDTV over wifi is not ideal and it seems that I lose the tuner quite a bit.

Still, this is useable and very nice to have.

Sjchmura

Post by Sjchmura » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:58 pm

Is there native streaming for iPad (like apps on silicon dust ) or do you need to convert to mp4???

So for the 6eth (I have Infiniti 4 now) is the pooling stable until mixed win 7 and 8.1 environments?

Finally has anyone gotten this working with xbmc?

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:07 pm

I've got the ETH6 shared with Win 7 and Win 8.1 computers with no issues

kspratt

Post by kspratt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:13 pm

I have a Lenovo MIIX 2 8 and wanted to get Ceton installed but since 32 bit version of windows 8.1 hitting issue that some of you were able to overcome. How did you tell the Windows 7 driver to install on windows 8.1? I get the concept of altering the MSI but I have never done this before. Is there maybe a link that could help me with this or simple instructions?

Thanks so much

Kevin

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:17 am

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/fixing-m ... hecks.html

This link plus any other searches you can find looking for Microsoft ORCA editor should get you the information you will need.

If not, message me.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 am

Hey Kevin, check this site for a private message from me.