WMC and FreeNAS not playing nice

bluezmax

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC and FreeNAS not playing nice

Post by bluezmax » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Hi Everybody,

My name is Max and although I'm not a complete Noob having built a FreeNAS box for my old boss, that was years ago and on an older version of FreeNAS.

I just built myself a FreeNAS box to serve as my file server with an Athlon II 2500, 4Gb of Ram and 3.5 TB of HD's running FreeNAS 9.1.1 X64 off of a 2GB Usb drive for right now.
I use WMC7 on all my TV's in the house in dedicated machines with tuners. Each one of those machines was sharing folders with movies and DVD rips and I've never had a problem playing them on any of my machines.
I started migrating all the files to my new FreeNAS box and everything seems to be going fine except for this : whenever I try to play one of the files from the FreeNAS in WMC, it crashes and gives me the "event name: CLR20r3" message. Those same files play fine from the same machine when opened with VLC or with WMP.

I've tried changing permissions on FreeNAS and have been banging my head against the wall all day !
After that, I tried as suggested by some other forum to delete mediaCenterDataStore.db so it would rebuild itself on the next start....
Besides wiping out my recording schedule, it didn't fix my problem....

I know it should work because I had setup a FreeNAS box with a Media Center at a client's house before with no problems !

Any of you guys have a way I could start watching my stuff through WMC again ?

Thanks,

Mad Max

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:37 am

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Do you have another Windows 7 system that you can use to test if the error appears there?

Have you tried contacting the developer of FreeNAS or posting on their forum? What version of FreeNAS were you using in the past?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

bluezmax

Post by bluezmax » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Scallica,

I tested this error on 3 different windows 7 machines and they all have the same behavior : they'll open the files with any other program than WMC but WMC crashes.

Here is a screen cap of the error message :
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By6rYNP ... sp=sharing

(Sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach the pic to the message yet... )

The working setup for freeNAS was from 3 years ago so I don't remember the details of what version was running. On this one, I am running FreeNas 9.1.1 X64.

When I posted on the FreeNAS foreums, the answer I got was that I should switch to Plex or XBMC and ditch WMC which I don't want to do.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Bluezmax.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:28 pm

bluezmax wrote: Sorry, I haven't figured out how to attach the pic to the message yet...
There is an attachment link on the bottom when you click the "Post a Reply" button. You won't see the attachment feature if you use quick reply.

I am not sure why WMC is crashing. I would start by changing the file system on FreeNAS. You can probably use a thumb drive, format it with a different file system, and put a test file on there.

Have you also considered downgrading to FreeNAS 8? At the very least, as a test, you could probably run FreeNAS 8 in a virtual machine on another windows PC, put a test file on there, and see if WMC still crashes.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct