Screen resolution changes when TV/Receiver off [Solution!]

makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Screen resolution changes when TV/Receiver off [Solution!]

Post by makryger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:36 pm

I just wanted to make sure this got pulled over from the other WMC forum out there, as this was a useful tip that I think could save a lot of people time and headaches. [Thanks to JazJon and Wedge__A for the fix]

Currently, I have my htpc turn on my TV automatically. Depending on the timing, sometimes WMC loads faster than the TV turns on. As a result, the TV has no EDID data to go off of, and so it loads a generic 1024x768 screen. I have had to annoyingly minimize and maximize WMC to reset, every time this happens. Recently, I've been trying to decrease the amount of bugs in my system (things I am fine living with, but does not work well for WAF/or in my case GAF).

The same problem occurs for some who use an AV Receiver that is occasionally off.

I've tried to think of everything to get it working-- fixes out there on the web include blocking one of the HDMI pins, using a different set of drivers, getting an HDMI sniffer device, setting up an autohotkey script to change the resolution, using third party command line utilities to change the resolution... finally, I read the abovementioned thread, and the answer was just so plain and simple.
1) When this happens, in WMC, immediately go Tasks >Settings>Tv>Configure your TV or MOnitor. YOU MUST DO THIS WHILE THE DISPLAY IS IN 1024X768 MODE
2) Go through the wizard as you would normally, with the intent on changing the resolution.
3) Scroll down the list of resolutions, and find 1920x1080, at 60hz (or whatever your TV is best at displaying). If its not listed, you can go to the bottom of the list, select List All, then the next page in the wizard will list more resolutions.
4) After choosing the select resolution, preview to make sure it works, and then finish up the setup wizard.
5) From this point on, the nasty 1024x768 resolution is no longer coming up when the TV is off. Hurray!
Can't believe it was that easy. Just wanted to make sure other people here knew about this!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Thanks for the info. I don't currently have a problem but plan on getting a new AVR so who knows what challenges that will bring.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:51 pm

makryger wrote:I just wanted to make sure this got pulled over from the other WMC forum out there
You did not need to go to that "other place" to find the solution; this thread says the same thing:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5595

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 pm

Other... Forum... Huh?..

:)

Joking aside, nice tip!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:01 pm

CyberSimian wrote:
makryger wrote:I just wanted to make sure this got pulled over from the other WMC forum out there
You did not need to go to that "other place" to find the solution; this thread says the same thing:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=5595

-- from CyberSimian in the UK
Ah, I missed that thread. Well hopefully if people use any other search keywords other than hdmi and handshake, then this will come in handy :)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 pm

I started the thread and somehow I missed it too. Maybe I'll hate my LG TV a little less now.