Backup WMC and Specifically DRM

jewrican

HTPC Specs: Show details

Backup WMC and Specifically DRM

Post by jewrican » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:56 pm

I know this has to have been answered but you cant search DRM as it is too short :(

I would like to know if it is possible to backup the DRM so that if I had to rebuild the media center I would not lose access to my DRM recorded content. I saw some MCE backup apps but did not see that they did DRM stuff but only guide info and scheduled recordings etc.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:18 pm

See the thread linked below:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 35&start=0

Basically, it says that you can backup C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Playready\mspr.hds before you re-install Windows, and then restore the original mspr.hds file after re-installing Windows (and running TV Setup in Media Center, of course).

This assumes that you didn't make any significant hardware changes. You can't play copy-protected recordings on a different computer.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Actually, now that I think about it... I don't think the above method will work if you re-install Windows. It would work after restoring a system image that is older than the most recent recordings though.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:09 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I don't think the above method will work if you re-install Windows.
I don't know...I've never tried it. But I'm almost positive that reinstalling Windows would cause the keys to be substantially different.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:44 pm

richard1980 wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I don't think the above method will work if you re-install Windows.
I don't know...I've never tried it. But I'm almost positive that reinstalling Windows would cause the keys to be substantially different.
I agree, because the new installation would have a different GUID.

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:35 pm

I know I can use disk2vhd on win 8 to make an image of it but not sure I could deploy that to a rebuilt piece of hardware. I just want to protect myself from a hardware failure and also may upgrade to windows 8.1 tonight.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:29 pm

If you build a new PC, you won't be able to view your old copy-protected recordings. You can safely do the following things, and you will still be able to view the copy-protected recordings (assuming that you have a backup copy of them, or that the HDD on which they are stored is still functional):

+Replace the PSU
+Replace/add tuners
+Replace/add an HDD/SSD/ODD
+Replace RAM
+Replace the motherboard with one of the exact same model.

However, if you do more than one of the above, you may or may not be able to view your old copy-protected recordings. The above list is listed in order from least likely to impact copy-protection to most likely. The PSU and tuners do not affect your ability to view pre-existing copy-protected recordings. The other components do, to varying degrees. The DRM scheme is based on the sum of all components that have changed. Some people have successfully replaced the RAM or the motherboard (with exact same model), but I don't know if you can do both.

One thing is certain: You cannot replace the CPU. Doing so will prevent you from viewing your old copy-protected recordings.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:35 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:If you build a new PC, you won't be able to view your old copy-protected recordings. You can safely do the following things, and you will still be able to view the copy-protected recordings (assuming that you have a backup copy of them, or that the HDD on which they are stored is still functional):

+Replace the PSU
+Replace/add tuners
+Replace/add an HDD/SSD/ODD
+Replace RAM
+Replace the motherboard with one of the exact same model.

However, if you do more than one of the above, you may or may not be able to view your old copy-protected recordings. The above list is listed in order from least likely to impact copy-protection to most likely. The PSU and tuners do not affect your ability to view pre-existing copy-protected recordings. The other components do, to varying degrees. The DRM scheme is based on the sum of all components that have changed. Some people have successfully replaced the RAM or the motherboard (with exact same model), but I don't know if you can do both.

One thing is certain: You cannot replace the CPU. Doing so will prevent you from viewing your old copy-protected recordings.
Yeah... I don't believe a lot of that is true.

The DRM is reset when you reinstall windows or change your Windows Install HDD. As long as your install stays, so will your DRM.

I've upgraded virtually every component of my WMC PC and never lost any of my DRM for recordings.

I think what you're referring to and where this overlaps a little is upgrading portions of your PC and removing the validation from your Windows install. If you upgrade motherboard and CPU and keep your current HDD, you'll be forced to re-validate your copy of Windows (or in some cases reinstall, as changing mobo/cpu/ram can force a boot loop). This could break the DRM.

And yes you can absolutely pop a new CPU into your motherboard and your DRM will never know the difference.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:46 pm

LuckyDay wrote:Yeah... I don't believe a lot of that is true.

The DRM is reset when you reinstall windows or change your Windows Install HDD. As long as your install stays, so will your DRM.

I've upgraded virtually every component of my WMC PC and never lost any of my DRM for recordings.

I think what you're referring to and where this overlaps a little is upgrading portions of your PC and removing the validation from your Windows install. If you upgrade motherboard and CPU and keep your current HDD, you'll be forced to re-validate your copy of Windows (or in some cases reinstall, as changing mobo/cpu/ram can force a boot loop). This could break the DRM.

And yes you can absolutely pop a new CPU into your motherboard and your DRM will never know the difference.
Are you certain that your recordings are copy-protected? By this, I mean... go view the synopsis of a show in Media Center. Does it say "Copy protected" at the bottom of the synopsis? What you claim goes against every post I've ever read where someone replaced their CPU or tried to upgrade to a new motherboard.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes, almost everything I record is copy protected.

WMC doesn't distinguish between what CPU you've got in your motherboard socket. If you upgrade your motherboard and CPU together, that could be where people have run into problems.

I upgraded from a i3 2100 to an i3 3225 about a year ago and didn't lose anything. Motherboard remained the same.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:54 pm

To clarify what I think is happening with a lot of this is when you upgrade a certain combination of parts (or total amount of them, can't remember which it is) and Windows has to re authorize your install you'll get a new key generated. This is almost definitely what's breaking the DRM.

So what you're saying is correct in that a giant upgrade of parts is going to likely break the DRM, but it's not specific parts or pieces that are doing it.

I'm not entirely sure how Win8 handles this, it was the same for XP and Vista and seems to be much more relaxed for Win7 at least in newer service packs(I haven't had my authorization break yet and I've added a ton of stuff in the last year).

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:09 pm

There have been several posts where people replaced only a CPU, and they could not watch their copy-protected recordings. I can't find it at the moment, but there was recently someone who upgraded from a dual-core CPU to a quad-core, and all they changed was the CPU... and they couldn't watch their copy-protected recordings.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:43 pm

My experience:
Added RAM - didn't need to reset DRM
Changed video card three times (nvidia to amd to different nvidia) - didn't need to reset DRM
Changed from Dual Core to Quad Core - had to reset DRM
Cloned OS from hard disk to SSD - had to uninstall WMC from programs & features then reset DRM

Best I figure anyone can do is image your OS partition as often as possible. I am going with weekly...

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:23 pm

That's interesting, I assume you're talking about just a CPU swap, not changing the motherboard?

I can definitely confirm it's not solely the CPU that triggers it since I know I've changed mine out (actually twice since I bought an i5 first and returned it and put a different i3 back in).

And yeah, RAM, Video Card, and storage drives (non OS) should never affect it.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:22 pm

LuckyDay wrote:That's interesting, I assume you're talking about just a CPU swap, not changing the motherboard?...
E6550 to Q9450 cpu only. Windows did not ask for re-activation but WMC DRM was broken.

jewrican

Post by jewrican » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:20 am

So this question came in perfect timing. I stated that I wanted to upgrade to 8.1 RTM last night and did so. I never should have :(

The install I used (RTM volume license media from Technet) uninstalled my media center software and because it was a volume license edition of the media (again from technet)i could not upgrade it to 8.1 pro media center. After spending about 4 hours trying to fix it and on the phone with MS (who was of no help) I decided to attempt my system restore i took before the upgrade. No dice. The installed OS (now 8.1) is newer than the image so it wouldnt work.

I then downloaded the win 8 DVD to prepare for a reinstall and decided to boot from the DVD and do a repair and try to restore the system image there. SUCCESS!!! Thank GOODNESS.

So last night SUCKED, but we am back in business. If you have technet, make SURE you dont use a win 8.1 installation that is labeled vl. Also take a system image occasionally and certainly before any updates or upgrades.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Replace the motherboard with one of the exact same model.
I've seen posts claiming this, but I don't believe them. Consider this: What if you and I had the exact same model components in our PCs, and I restored an image of your PC to my PC? According to the claim, I should be able to play your copy-protected recordings, thus defeating the entire purpose of PlayReady.
LuckyDay wrote:I've upgraded virtually every component of my WMC PC and never lost any of my DRM for recordings.
The number of components you change is irrelevant. What is relevant is which components you change from the time a recording was made (which is when the "original" key for that recording is created) to the time you attempt to play the recording (which is when a new key for that recording is generated (the "playback" key) and compared to the original key for that recording) and how each of the changed components affects the DRM keys. At playback time, the "playback" key is compared to the "original" key, and if the keys are similar enough, playback is allowed. If the two keys are too different, playback is forbidden. Each component is weighted differently, thus they all affect the DRM keys differently. You can change several components that are lightly weighted and end up with a key that is still close enough to the original key to allow playback. And you could end up changing one more component (regardless of how that component is weighted) and end up causing the two keys to be too different. Or you could end up changing only one component in total, and that one change could cause the two keys to be too different.
LuckyDay wrote:The DRM is reset when you...change your Windows Install HDD.
That is not true. You can change the OS drive all you want, as long as you maintain the same instance of Windows on the new drive (i.e., you have to clone the old OS drive to the new OS drive). and the change to the OS drive doesn't end up pushing the difference between the original key and the playback over the allowed threshold.
LuckyDay wrote:And yes you can absolutely pop a new CPU into your motherboard and your DRM will never know the difference.
AFAIK, the CPU is heavily weighted, thus changing the CPU has a very good chance of breaking playback. That said, I think changing from one CPU to a similar CPU may not actually affect the keys much. That could explain why you were able to change from an i3-2100 to an i3-3225, as they are similar CPUs.
LuckyDay wrote:To clarify what I think is happening with a lot of this is when you upgrade a certain combination of parts (or total amount of them, can't remember which it is) and Windows has to re authorize your install you'll get a new key generated. This is almost definitely what's breaking the DRM.
Windows authorization has nothing to do with it. You can re-authorize Windows, but that doesn't allow the recordings to play back. Additionally, while Windows and PlayReady both use the same concept to identify a PC, I believe they use different weights.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:00 pm

richard1980 wrote:
I've seen posts claiming this, but I don't believe them. Consider this: What if you and I had the exact same model components in our PCs, and I restored an image of your PC to my PC? According to the claim, I should be able to play your copy-protected recordings, thus defeating the entire purpose of PlayReady.
I believe that you can replace your motherboard with the exact same model, provided that you use the same RAM, CPU, HDD, ODD, SSD, etc.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:48 pm

I agree, I don't think this working every time is a definite. There are even revisions to the same model of board that Windows will detect as a different model.
LuckyDay wrote:I've upgraded virtually every component of my WMC PC and never lost any of my DRM for recordings.
The number of components you change is irrelevant. What is relevant is which components you change from the time a recording was made (which is when the "original" key for that recording is created) to the time you attempt to play the recording (which is when a new key for that recording is generated (the "playback" key) and compared to the original key for that recording) and how each of the changed components affects the DRM keys. At playback time, the "playback" key is compared to the "original" key, and if the keys are similar enough, playback is allowed. If the two keys are too different, playback is forbidden. Each component is weighted differently, thus they all affect the DRM keys differently. You can change several components that are lightly weighted and end up with a key that is still close enough to the original key to allow playback. And you could end up changing one more component (regardless of how that component is weighted) and end up causing the two keys to be too different. Or you could end up changing only one component in total, and that one change could cause the two keys to be too different.
If as you say it's specific to a certain part, I'd guess it's the motherboard that's more important over anything else, but that's true for the Windows keys as well.

I was basically saying (as you mention below) that the DRM process is more like the authorization process in Windows, it isn't just about certain components by themselves but either combinations or values of some being weighted higher and it at some point building up and triggering it.
LuckyDay wrote:The DRM is reset when you...change your Windows Install HDD.
That is not true. You can change the OS drive all you want, as long as you maintain the same instance of Windows on the new drive (i.e., you have to clone the old OS drive to the new OS drive). and the change to the OS drive doesn't end up pushing the difference between the original key and the playback over the allowed threshold.
Sure, I was assuming we weren't talking about cloning the HDD but installing fresh.
LuckyDay wrote:And yes you can absolutely pop a new CPU into your motherboard and your DRM will never know the difference.
AFAIK, the CPU is heavily weighted, thus changing the CPU has a very good chance of breaking playback. That said, I think changing from one CPU to a similar CPU may not actually affect the keys much. That could explain why you were able to change from an i3-2100 to an i3-3225, as they are similar CPUs.
Something not adding up here then because the user above went from a same socket core2duo to core2quad. Same architecture and Windows doesn't care at all about a swap like that. The 2100 and 3225 are same socket but they aren't the same series of CPU, It's Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge.

Not sure what the answer to this one is, but to me it rules out the CPU being the sole culprit and an absolute definite trigger to break it.
Additionally, while Windows and PlayReady both use the same concept to identify a PC, I believe they use different weights.
This is really what I was saying. I'm not sure it's a specific one piece you can't upgrade (like the CPU comment above) and I think either parts are weighted differently or combinations of certain parts triggers it.

It just still seems strange that I've upgraded virtually half of my PC outside of the motherboard and haven't broken my DRM recently.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:00 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I believe
In other words, neither of us can provide a definitive answer.
LuckyDay wrote:If as you say it's specific to a certain part, I'd guess it's the motherboard that's more important over anything else, but that's true for the Windows keys as well.
Yeah, the motherboard has several components that are used to compute the keys, so it's very important.
LuckyDay wrote:Something not adding up here then because the user above went from a same socket core2duo to core2quad. Same architecture and Windows doesn't care at all about a swap like that. The 2100 and 3225 are same socket but they aren't the same series of CPU, It's Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge.
Well I know that the processor serial number gets hashed, and then only some of the resulting bits are used to create the key. The fewer bits that are used, the higher the risk that two different CPUs result in similar values (collision). If only 1 bit is used, there are only 2 possible values, so there's a 50% chance of collision. 2 bits = 4 possible values = 25% chance of collision. 3 bits = 8 possible values = 12.5% chance of collision, etc. In Microsoft's bulletin entitled "Product Activation for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008", they describe a scenario where 6 bits are used to identify the CPU...which means there would only be 64 possible results, for a 1.6% chance of collision.

What I don't know is whether other data about the processor is used...for example, the number of cores, the clock speed, etc. I suspect that data is used because of the high risk of collision that results from evaluating only the serial number. If that is the case, two CPUs with similar specifications would result in similar "specification" bit values, and if the serial number hashing results were similar as well, then changing the CPU would not actually alter the key very much. But keep in mind that this is just a theory of mine...I don't know for sure that is what is happening. PlayReady may only be hashing the serial number and no other data is used to identify the CPU.
LuckyDay wrote:Not sure what the answer to this one is, but to me it rules out the CPU being the sole culprit and an absolute definite trigger to break it.
I agree that changing the CPU is not a definite trigger, but it's still one of the things that has a high chance of breaking playback.