Native Movie Library slow on Xbox

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
samm

HTPC Specs: Show details

Native Movie Library slow on Xbox

Post by samm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:06 am

Hello friends,
I have an issue with my Xbox 360 as an extender, when viewing the native movie library. I like the native movie library, so please don't respond with telling me to set up MB or MM...

As of now I have just over 500 titles, they are .mp4 files and metadata (.dvdid files) were fetched automatically using YAMMM. I select Movies in the extender main menu, and the library loads OK. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it to load quickly, but it works. My issue arrises when I attempt to sort the movies by "genre" or "year" or "date added" tabs on the top of the movie library. The library then will freeze and not respond. I must revert to the main menu, and select Movies again. Sometimes, it takes a few times before I can view the movies in another sort, such as genre.

I would really like the ability to sort my Movies, so I can flip through them faster.

Does anyone have any tips?

I have already attempted moving the DVD cache to a USB drive, and even attempted moving DVD cache to a RAMDisk, but neither option helped. Is there a way we can tell Windows to not fetch metadata each time? Can't it store the data locally somehow?

Thanks
SAM

samm

Post by samm » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:14 am

bump?

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Can't really help aside from saying if I chose genre it takes a while to display my library of about 320 discs.

Movie library is a half-assed attempt by MS and still riddled with bugs and problems to this day.
Rich

shoffert

Post by shoffert » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm not expert, but a couple troubleshooting questions:

1) What does your physical drive setup look like? Are your movies on the same drive? Separate partition? Separate disk all together? How about live tv recording cache?

2) Do you have anything else playing or recording on the disk while you're trying to do the sorts, etc?

3) Wired or Wireless?

4) What does the experience look like on the W7MC computer?

I tried expiramenting with the RAM Disks and couldn't get it to work right. I finally gave in and got an SSD. I noticed a pretty good improvement when navigating movies & the tv guide, particularly when the same physical disk was already in use. That being said, 500 movie covers seems like a lot.

I assume the Xbox doesn't keep a local copy of the media center menu files. Maybe it does, but when you search, it has to start from scratch for that search result? Maybe someone knows how this process works.

Doesn't YAMMM have the option of using lower quality/resolution images? Have you tried that? I have one xbox wired, and the other wireless (N). I"ve noticed the movie listing comes in much slower on the wireless connection (and sometimes the content streaming breaks up). The wired may take a second or two the first time I go to movies after startup. Wireless could take 10 or so seconds. After the covers first show, it's usually pretty quick.

samm

Post by samm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 am

Hello,
It has been a while since I've last viewed this post, but I'm back because this issue is still unresolved. Shoffert, to answer your questions:
1) The OS is stored and booted from a Gen2 Intel SSD (64GB). Movies are stored on a Synology RAID-5 NAS, via a separate NIC.
2) No, the issue persists whether I'm streaming to other extenders or not.
3) Gig Ethernet over cat5e
4) This is where I'm tempted to think it's not the extender or main network's fault - the slowness is present on the W7MC server as well.

Also, something I noticed tonight, on the W7MC server:
Yesterday, I sorted by Year, and waited... and waited, and after 90 seconds or so, I finally had my library sorted by date - great. Tonight, I enter movie library again. Since I hadn't changed the sort back to Title, or etc., the library popped up sorted by Year - more interestingly it popped up nearly instantly (with the usual lag of 3-5 seconds while the library loads). As soon as I switch it back to sort by Title, it hangs for another 90 seconds... then eventually entire library is sorted by Title.
There has to be a better implementation that this MS... Are you serioudly querrying every movie's dvdid.xml file every time I try to do a sort? There's got to be a way to cache this... WE NEED A HOTFIX!
My movie library has since grown to over 770 movies. I do realize this is a lot, and I'm expecting a lot from a MS product...

nightryder21

Post by nightryder21 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:42 pm

The native Movie Library is horrible and slow with anything over 20 movies. I suggest to use MyMovies 4. That's what I do.

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:24 pm

Or you can use Media Browser. It runs really well on the xbox 360 and has many organization options.

Silversee

Post by Silversee » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:29 am

nightryder21 wrote:The native Movie Library is horrible and slow with anything over 20 movies. I suggest to use MyMovies 4. That's what I do.
I have 271 movies in my native library and I don't find it slow at all. Sorting by genre takes a couple of seconds, but the performance is no different than for music (817 albums in my collection). My movie library is hosted on WHS 2011 accessed over a gigabit LAN.)

duffman984

Post by duffman984 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:04 pm

I have about 550 movies with the same setup as you and the performance is terrible. I'm on a fully wired gigabit managed network as well. I checked the traffic and it really isn't doing too much when it's loading the library. I looked into it a little further and the movie library runs off of an index which on a 360 is very slow. I'm still messing around with Media Browser but so far it performs much better than the built in Movies library. The nice part about MB is that you can still use the Movies library if you want or just use the MB library once you get sick of waiting for the Movies library to actually load