Bitstreaming surround broke in 8.1 RTM

idividebyzero

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bitstreaming surround broke in 8.1 RTM

Post by idividebyzero » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Im unable to get surround sound working in 8.1 using HDMI audio when I enable "exclusive control". If I config the speakers to 7.1 I get the "files needed to display video are not working correctly" error when playing live TV. If I config the windows speakers to 2 then it works fine (changing the speaker setup in WMC has no effect), and if I turn off "exclusive control of this device" I get LPCM surround sound but not Dolby.

All sound works normally when I set it to 7.1 outside of WMC, windows sounds work (including WMC sound effects), and I do get proper Dolby/DTS surround sound in Windows Media PLAYER.

I tried default HDMI drivers, and 2 versions of Nvidia drivers.

Is anyone running 8.1 able to get bitstreamed surround sound working?

idividebyzero

Post by idividebyzero » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:40 pm

seems to be an HDCP issue because Netflix says it cant playback protected video

I had a hell of a time trying to get Digital Cable Advisor installed, I uninstalled Play Ready and tried to start over, could that have anything to do with HDCP being broken? It reinstalled itself when I ran the live tv setup.

ssterb1

Post by ssterb1 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:25 pm

I know this sounds stupid, but in your windows sound settings set it to default stereo settings. It will get rid of the "files needed to display video are not working correctly" error, but it will still bistream multichannel sources to your reciever regardless of the stereo setting. Just make sure your reciever is set up as the default / primary sound device. I had this problem when I finally upgraded to an HDMI passthrough video card and HDMI reciever, and what I suggested above took care of it.

bigjohns97

Post by bigjohns97 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:28 pm

My amd card has been like this since Windows 7.