Windows 8.1 RTM & WMC/MCX Playback

TheOsburnFamil

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 RTM & WMC/MCX Playback

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:44 pm

Anyone with access to Windows 8.1 RTM and has WMC loaded out there? Can you share any feedback? Higher bitrate support?

Not expecting much but getting curious. Now that Ceton's ECHO is officially out of the picture, I'm ready to upgrade my Win7 HTPC.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:35 pm

I can confirm that WMC and MCX on the Xbox 360 works for me.

If your video blanks out after a 3-5 seconds and audio continues to play, try uninstalling the My Media Center service. after nearly a week of trying everything, uninstalling this software worked for me immediately.

if the service works for you, let me know and I'll try it again, but I spent a good part of 2.5 days uninstalling, re-installing, changing configurations, drivers etc.

once uninstalled (the common denominator between all installs except my first one) everything worked again. Fingers crossed, but everything is working trouble free the way Media Center has always worked.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:51 pm

TheOsburnFamil wrote:Anyone with access to Windows 8.1 RTM and has WMC loaded out there? Can you share any feedback? Higher bitrate support?

Not expecting much but getting curious. Now that Ceton's ECHO is officially out of the picture, I'm ready to upgrade my Win7 HTPC.
I am happy to report back on this after having 8.1 up and running for a week now with all my extenders.

It does indeed handle higher bitrates MUCH better than anything to-date. I'm not sure just yet how high but I never could m2ts to playback at anything about 10Mb in MediaCenter w/o really bad buffering and stuttering.

I had a StarTrek m2ts & a wmv file for testing-- both ripped at the same 15Mb bitrate, original resolution (1080p), and 5.1 Audio at 448. WMV used WMV9 video & m2ts used H264.

The WMV always played back perfectly. The M2TS playback was HORRIBLE...

With 8.1, that same M2TS file plays on all my extenders w/o any trouble.

:clap:
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

scyto

Post by scyto » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:43 am

What extenders do you have?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:57 am

15Mbps x264 rips play fine for me (usually) on Win7 streaming to the xbox, at least as either MKVs or MP4s. Never really tried M2TS. That is right near the limit of what it plays smoothly in 7. If you can get a 20+ Mbps rip to work, then we have something a lot more interesting.

It may be you have a better codec stack set up this time?

I had nothing but trouble trying to get things to work in 8/8.1. Compatibility issues everywhere. In fact, the reason I ended up trying 8.1 was because I couldn't get USB to work right in Windows 8. 8.1 fixed that for *most* devices, but introduced other issues. Tried it for 3 weeks before starting over with 7. 7 just worked other than needing to change USB BIOS settings for the initial install, and wipe the drive (because the BOOT.EFI left by 8.1 RTM is not signed and causes the Win7 installer to refuse to continue after the first reboot in the install process), on the exact same hardware, consisting mostly of components that didn't exist before Win 8 was released.