XBOX One will not be Media Center extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
mcewinter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mcewinter » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:00 pm

I would imagine that most people do not opt into the Customer Exprience Improvement program. People tend to be paranoid about such things. I have opted in after hearing that they actually use these numbers for this kind of shtuff.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:27 pm

fredx21 wrote:I have mixed feelings. Just like many of you, it seems like MS is killing a winner. At the same time, there are no real alternative: XBMC and Media Portal are too drafty and unstable to my daily use (no offence). I guess we're much just a few who understood what WMC was, and that now, the market is heading elsewhere (Apple TV, ChromeCast...).
I felt the same way about Media Portal and XBMC. Myth was far too difficult to setup, even using their "Myth-buntu" package. Part of that is because I'm much more familiar with Windows than I am with Linux. Then, there was the lack of CableCARD in all the other solutions out there.

If only someone would put up the cash to start the project to create a new whole-home DVR solution that could support all the various tuners in the world, including CableCARD. If I ever win a huge lottery jackpot, I'll do it. :D
slowbiscuit wrote:I think it's fairly obvious at this point that MS and others want traditional local storage DVRs to go away, in favor of streaming everything or (worst case, if they can fight off the lawsuits) cloud-based DVRs.

I think both will suck compared to what we have, because we will lose control over how and when we want to view the content. Things like no more comskip, limited viewing windows and content availability, etc. All the stuff that makes net-based VOD a mixed bag today.
Cloud-based DVR's could be a really cool thing... as long as they don't cost a fortune to have something relatively close to the functionality I have today.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 am

I couldn't help but notice that in the list of protocols that Chromecast devices are required to support is PlayReady https://developers.google.com/cast/supp ... edia_types

That is the DRM used by Media Center as well (at least since Win7/TV Pack 2008). I don't believe for a minute that it could ever happen, but would be pretty funny if the next extender was a ChromeCast device.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:36 am

Yeah, I assume that's just for if you cast a website from Chrome that has a PlayReady protected video on it.

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Whoa--- gluglug! You're alive! Welcome back. Sad news in the WMC world these days, but I still firmly believe that the WMC experience cannot be beat, and will be my STB for the next couple years, despite the development of new extenders.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

kc8emd

Post by kc8emd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:31 pm

Xbox One preorder has now been canceled. I have been waiting on this news and have never felt so much disappointment from MS. I actually feel sick as I was really looking forward to the new features of the xbox one :(

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:17 pm

I can't believe anyone actually expected it or even hoped for it to contain WMC.

But as others have said, WMC is long from "dead".

Win7 will be supported for years to come, as will the 360 (PS2 was only just discontinued six years after PS3 was announced). As long as your 360 turns on and you have a PC with a tuner, you will likely be able to use it as an extender.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:30 pm

LuckyDay wrote:I can't believe anyone actually expected it or even hoped for it to contain WMC.

But as others have said, WMC is long from "dead".

Win7 will be supported for years to come, as will the 360 (PS2 was only just discontinued six years after PS3 was announced). As long as your 360 turns on and you have a PC with a tuner, you will likely be able to use it as an extender.
I would have been shocked if it WAS included.

FreeJAC1310

Post by FreeJAC1310 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:57 pm

Another person (me) coming her to QQ about the XBone! not having Media Center. Can't say I'm surprised, XBox One would have been blind day and date purchase with MC-Extender support + OTA TV overlay support. Instead I'm going to spend my dollars on PC gaming again and leave the X360 Extenders to continue doing what they are good at.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Anyone see an interview with Larry Hryb (Major Nelson) where he indicated that the design team was working on WMC integration and possible internal DVR capabilities with future updates? I had a buddy mention it to me but haven't run across it. MS has promised lots of things in the past and I don't foresee this coming in the next year or so but maybe WMC isn't as dead as it seems.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:28 pm

Is this what you're talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LrEgXHUl0

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Just so we're clear, while the xbox One is definitely a no-go for media center support, the newest xbox 360(in a similar xbox 1 like shell) should support wmc. So if you're looking for a wmc extender that is somewhat smaller and quieter and more ce-looking, you're not completely left out.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 pm

mdavej wrote:Is this what you're talking about?
ok, at 14:20? Personally I don't think there's any indication of media center there. More likely, what he's "not ready to discuss/announce" is partnerships with individual cable operators, as they've been doing with the 360, in order to eliminate the need for hdmi pass-through on the xbone. It would be nice if they viewed media center support as a fall-back, even a stopgap that is preferable to pass-through, in case they can't work out certain deals, but none of microsoft's actions in the last several years would suggest that is a consideration.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:29 pm

At 14:25 "Windows Media Center" is uttered by the interviewer. It's very wishful thinking to read anything into this. I get the impression WMC fans are more of an annoyance to Microsoft than anything and that they would rather us just go away and just start using their stupid Google TV system on the One.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:56 pm

mdavej wrote:
At 14:25 "Windows Media Center" is uttered by the interviewer. It's very wishful thinking to read anything into this. I get the impression WMC fans are more of an annoyance to Microsoft than anything and that they would rather us just go away and just start using their stupid Google TV system on the One.
Seemed like Major Nelson cut him off as soon as windows media center came out of his mouth, and kinda quickly changed the subject about getting the xbox one out there first, then work on adding other stuff.

johny3

Post by johny3 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Well being weeks away now, I wonder how things will shake out. There is a verizon tv app but not sure what that will get me without a box in the house. We shall see what ends up happening. I am going to try hdmi pass thru and see what happens...

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:59 am

Without MediaCenter Extender functionality in the XBoxOne, I'm purchasing Sony's PS4. I'll still keep my three Xbox 360's around just for MediaCenter.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 pm

MinistryOfMagic wrote:Without MediaCenter Extender functionality in the XBoxOne, I'm purchasing Sony's PS4. I'll still keep my three Xbox 360's around just for MediaCenter.
Agreed Xbox one is not too appealing. I have three xbox 360 extenders and they already do what I need. Most games are on both consoles anyway.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Xbox one will not have universal DLNA support! DLNA will be microsoft proprietary. link :x

Microsoft offering more reasons to skip this console gen. :thumbdown:

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:09 pm

So here's my question? I have seen XBOX one will be able to have PS3 and Nintendo run through the console. Soooooo will the echo be able to as well? Then it will be one interface, plus Microsoft fees, but atleast all through the same screen? Add a Roku into that list too?