IPTV on Freeview HD

michael.holls96

HTPC Specs: Show details

IPTV on Freeview HD

Post by michael.holls96 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:18 am

Has anyone gotten the Freeview HD IPTV channels to work (channels 225-236)? Whenever I try to tune to one of these channels, I get an error saying that I do not have a compatible Freeview HD device. It would also be nice if I could watch the additional Music channels (through the red button on 4Music) without the effort of loading it though a web browser.

If more services start using Freeview HD IPTV channels then this could be a useful feature to have but at the moment, it appears to be totally useless to me. I find it amaizing how little there is about this online - Hopefully you can help. :)

Thanks in advance!
Michael.
I use my "HTPC" for literally EVERYTHING :)

Michael H.

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:07 am

The Freeview IPTV channels use an MHEG5 extension called MHEG-IC (interactive channel).
Although Windows Media Centre implements MHEG5 (for subtitles and text services) it does not implement the IC extension, which is why you receive an error message when you tune to a Freeview IPTV channel.

AFAIK, nobody has released a media centre app to do this as yet, and there is almost certainly no chance of Microsoft supporting it natively. I can't even find a generic Windows 7 app that provides this functionality, so a hardware set-top box is probably your only option.

michael.holls96

Post by michael.holls96 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Hopefully someone will release an extension for WMC if Freeview HD takes off. It's a shame that Microsoft never seem to keep their programs up to date when new features are available for them to put in.

Thanks for you time.
I use my "HTPC" for literally EVERYTHING :)

Michael H.