Guide Data and Clear QAM

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
CablefreeMe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Data and Clear QAM

Post by CablefreeMe » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:00 pm

Currently my setup is that I'm using MC in Win7 and pulling stations OTA. It's working good except due to location/antenna I don't get a couple of stations that are local to me. I recently discovered that my ISP, which is my cable company, isn't blocking locals over the wire. So I'm considering reconfiguring to that vs OTA. My only concern is guide data. I know that OTA data comes from zap2it and I assume cable guide data comes from the same place. The problem is when I check the guide data for my cable company the channel numbers on zap2it don't line up with the discovered channel. Does this mean I won't get reliable guide data if I attempt this change?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:16 pm

The channels you see on your end are probably the physical channel numbers, whereas the channels on Zap2It would be the virtual channel numbers. Basically you would have to enter/set it up in WMC with the physical channel number (if it doesn't detect the channels during the setup scan), and then you could renumber it to the virtual number; though once you assign a channel call sign, you wont necessarily have to.

If the channels you see are like 78.6 or 119.5 or whatever when the channel should be just 2 or 2.1, then it's the scenario I'm describing.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Yes. That's exactly it. I'm finding the physicals and not the virtuals. So the question is when I scan and find the physicals can I then remember then within MC to get good guide data.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:23 pm

WMC might not find them doing a scan. On my 2 HTPCs it doesn't. You'll have to add the channel manually from within WMC, assign it a callsign - and then you're good to go. If you want to renumber all them I suggest getting GuideTool - http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

Edit: Once you set them up, they're not going anywhere. The Cable Co. might reassign the channel to a different physical number - in which case you'll have to set up the channel (with the new number) again. If they never change the number on you though you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:37 pm

First off, is your current ATSC tuner ClearQAM capable. Most are, some are not.

Second, it is not legal, and probably won't last too long, so don't epxect it to be a long term solution. Once cable provider starts encrypting all TV channels, you will be in the same boat.

Try playing with aplifiers, or multiple antenna's. You can either combine the signals from multiple antennas, or use different tuners for different groups of channels. You can "tell" WMC which tuners to use for which channels.

I have stations that are in different location. 2 antennas and 2 HDHomeRuns work seamlessly.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:17 pm

blueiedgod wrote:First off, is your current ATSC tuner ClearQAM capable. Most are, some are not.

Second, it is not legal, and probably won't last too long, so don't epxect it to be a long term solution. Once cable provider starts encrypting all TV channels, you will be in the same boat.

Try playing with aplifiers, or multiple antenna's. You can either combine the signals from multiple antennas, or use different tuners for different groups of channels. You can "tell" WMC which tuners to use for which channels.

I have stations that are in different location. 2 antennas and 2 HDHomeRuns work seamlessly.
First, yes my tuners do support clear QAM. Second, help me understand the legality. I haven't messed with the cable box outside my house. Nothing has been augmented to my service since the day it was installed (over 2 years ago). I've talked to other customers who also only have Internet access but also get their locals over the wire. So I'm struggling with the legality. We're not talking about the full blown cable offering (ESPN, TNT, ect). I'm not getting those, and understand that's illegal without paying. We're talking about OTA channels that are coming across the wire. Lastly, I have to disagree with you regarding all cable channels being scrambled one day. Every cable company in my area offers a basic service which gives you locals (in high def) and cable channels (in standard def) without the need of a converter box.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:30 pm

If you're not paying for it, even if the signal gets sent to your house unencrypted, it's stealing. If someone leaves their car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the car running, it doesn't automatically make it legal to steal the car. Simple as that. I'm not your mother or the cops, so I don't care; but let's just leave it at that. Too many times this argument has been brought up and just drags on.

They can encrypt it at anytime. The FCC has made it legal. My Cable Co. has only just gone from analogue to QAM for basic, so I don't see it happening for a while; but the possibility is now there for them (and any cable provider) to do it at anytime they desire.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:46 pm

staknhalo wrote:If you're not paying for it, even if the signal gets sent to your house unencrypted, it's stealing. If someone leaves their car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the car running, it doesn't automatically make it legal to steal the car. Simple as that. I'm not your mother or the cops, so I don't care; but let's just leave it at that. Too many times this argument has been brought up and just drags on.

They can encrypt it at anytime. The FCC has made it legal. My Cable Co. has only just gone from analogue to QAM for basic, so I don't see it happening for a while; but the possibility is now there for them (and any cable provider) to do it at anytime they desire.
I understand what you are saying. After I posted the response I called and talked to my cable company about their offerings. They don't even offer the locals only package if you have Internet. So I'm not even able to pay for it as a service which I thought was kinda weird. While I gain one channel from the wire I do loose a couple others so its not a great trade off considering the extra work. I will though, based off a conversation with their tech, test splitting the signal 3 ways to see if I see any drop out (HTPC and modem are all in the same location). I've got to get their basic cable for ESPN this fall. I can't do without that during football and bowl season. So at least I'll be able to see if I have any signal loss issues.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm

blueiedgod wrote:First off, is your current ATSC tuner ClearQAM capable. Most are, some are not.

Let me ask a question about combining signals from multiple antennas. How does that work considering multipath? You aren't talking about combining signals from two antenna into a single tuner are you?

pettyfog

Post by pettyfog » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

staknhalo wrote:If you're not paying for it, even if the signal gets sent to your house unencrypted, it's stealing. If someone leaves their car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and the car running, it doesn't automatically make it legal to steal the car. Simple as that. I'm not your mother or the cops, so I don't care; but let's just leave it at that. Too many times this argument has been brought up and just drags on.

Made me register just to reply to this:
FIRST!!!! For Hauppage users who cant find locals on ClearQAM, read this:
http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/ ... maping.pdf
This MAY help you... didn't help me. Still could not find the hi def locals

No it is NOT 'stealing'!!! If you had moved into a residence and hooked up to a cable outlet and found signals on it and used it without signing up, THAT would be stealing cable.
The compnaies are intentionally leaving locals on ClearQAM. If you MUST use the car analogy, think of it as a guy parking in your driveway leaving the keys in your mailbox.

Use your common sense.. the cableco's are hemorrhaging users to antennas and do this as an enticement to NOT have users switch to OTA.. SOON all of them will have switched their basic lineups to all digital and require use of a cable card or a blister adapter STB to get cable only channels. When they do, it is likely that even then some local channels will remain Clear QAM

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:55 pm

No, the cable companies are not intentionally letting you use their TV content for free. This happens when the cable installer forgot or didn't bother to install a high-pass or notch filter on the outside line so that the ONLY signals that get to your house are those needed by your cable modem. Yes, it IS stealing. You are not allowed to receive those signals because you are not paying for them.

Here's the law that says you can't do what you claim is "not stealing". Basically, your cable company has not specifically authorized you to receive their TV programming, because you have not paid for it.
47 U.S.C. § 553: No person shall intercept or receive or assist in intercepting or receiving any communications service offered over a cable system, unless specifically authorized to do so by a cable operator or as may otherwise be specifically authorized by law.
Last edited by barnabas1969 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:58 pm

pettyfog wrote:think of it as a guy parking in your driveway leaving the keys in your mailbox
That would be illegal too. Only US Mail can be put into a mailbox. See more info here:
http://about.usps.com/news/state-releas ... 0_0909.htm