Spanning Tree Protocol (STP)

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
shortcut3d

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by shortcut3d » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:34 pm

Cutriss wrote:So, not really STP-related but since it has come up - What is the "standard" boot time for the Echo supposed to be? Mine seems to take usually around 30-45 seconds to go from dark to the WMC menu, plus after I get to the WMC menu, there's about a 3-4 second window of responsiveness, then the wait cursor comes up for around 10 seconds, and then I'm all set.
The wait cursor is a Ceton InfiniTV related issue. Full stop.

Ceton has denied this is an actual problem with InfiniTV. Full stop.

SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime does not cause the wait cursor. Full stop.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:11 pm

Just got done replaceing my Netgear gs108 dumb switch with a TP-Link TL-SG3210 managed switch. After configuring and turning on STP I gotta say YES! YES! This is the bomb.

Since I was limited on my CAT wire and had more than one network device on each TV (Roku and Echo), I had decided to cascade switches to gs105's at the TV to accomodate the lack of copper. This lead to intermittent switching loops and network deficiencies. STP solved this problem. The whole system is snappier and a lot less clunky. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone want to buy a lightly used GS108?

:)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:57 pm

Cutriss wrote:So, not really STP-related but since it has come up - What is the "standard" boot time for the Echo supposed to be? Mine seems to take usually around 30-45 seconds to go from dark to the WMC menu, plus after I get to the WMC menu, there's about a 3-4 second window of responsiveness, then the wait cursor comes up for around 10 seconds, and then I'm all set.
Have you actually timed the Echo with a stopwatch or other device that displays seconds? I don't remember how long my Echo took to startup, but it was much longer than 30-45 seconds. I think it was in the neighborhood of 90 or more.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:02 am

Jimmersd wrote:Just got done replaceing my Netgear gs108 dumb switch with a TP-Link TL-SG3210 managed switch. After configuring and turning on STP I gotta say YES! YES! This is the bomb.
If you turn on Edge Port (for the port you have the Echo plugged into) this will likely allow the Echo to boot faster. Page 84 http://www.tp-link.com/resources/docume ... _Guide.pdf When I was working on my Dell PowerConnect, I started out booting Echo in 75 seconds. Now its 45 seconds, 30 second gain just by turning on Portfast/EdgePort.

My test parameters are:

1- Turn on the TV
2- Turn on the amp
3- Start the stopwatch at the same time you hit the on button for the Echo

No thanks on the GS108.