A few noob questions on watching TV with multi-tuners

wackychimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

A few noob questions on watching TV with multi-tuners

Post by wackychimp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:33 pm

Had the HTPC up and running for about a month and just got the InfiniTV 6 and the required cable card & tuning adapter from TWC. Still having some config problems but Ceton's on it and I'm confident we'll get it figured out. ;)

Anyway I have some basic questions
  • Is there an easy way to see only what the 6 tuners are tuned to? I can see on weekends in the fall wanting to flip back & forth between concurrent football games. For example, I'd like to have Tuner#1 on Game #1, Tuner #2 = Game #2, Tuner #3 = Game #3 and Tuner #4 = ESPN (5 & 6 can take a rest). Rather than scrolling through the program guide when one game goes to half-time, I'd like to see a listing of just the 6 tuners to choose from.
  • Similarly - do remotes have a button to "change tuners"? Or can they be programmed as such? This way I could get 2 or 3 tuners buffering different channels while I'm watching. On my Tivo we'll sometimes point one tuner at one channel and the second at another and watch 2 things concurrently without actually recording them (yeah, I know, really short attention span). It's nice for watching 2 shows that are on right now.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:28 pm

In order to do what you want with your first question, you would need to record all of those programs. Then, you could switch between them in the Recorded TV section, or you could create a favorite channels list in the guide that only shows those channels.

For your second question, see my answer above.

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:04 pm

So if I create a favorite channels list, can I swap between them by hitting a button on my remote? (Don't have a remote yet but I'm looking at buying one now.)

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:07 pm

If you create favorite channels lists, you just go to the guide and use the arrow keys to select the favorites list that you want to see. You can do it with a keyboard too... just use the arrow buttons.

But... if you want all of the channels to be buffered, you need them to be recording. Media Center only buffers what is currently being watched or recorded. If you change channels without first recording the current channel, you lose the buffer.