Low volume issues

mgftp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Low volume issues

Post by mgftp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey guys, I am making this post after so much trying, searching the web, trying different codecs and codec packs. I have been using my self made HTPC for all my media needs now for about a year, and it works great for the majority of what I do with it, flawlessly works for live and recorded TV with my Ceton InfiniTV4. The one issue I have always had and can't seem to fully resolve no matter what I try is video files have low volume. The HTPC is hooked up to a TV via HDMI.

When watching most MP4 video files (or MKV or whatever else, I just have mostly MP4s) I have to crank my TV volume up to 100% and still can barely hear the audio. Meanwhile for live TV, recorded, TV, xbox, or anything else I keep the volume at about 20% and it is very audible. Like I said I feel as I have tried every codec and codec pack over the past year with no success but I must be something wrong. I have uninstalled everything now as far as codecs.

Where do I start? What is the easy fix?

I thought ffdshow would fix the issue and it probably would for MKVs with the ability to boost volume levels, but it doesn't seem to run when I play MP4s through WMC.
Last edited by mgftp on Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Have you tried adjusting the volume in Windows?

mgftp

Post by mgftp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:30 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Have you tried adjusting the volume in Windows?
Yes, everything is at 100%/.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Have you tried to see what it sounds like with the auto volume option on/off in wmc settings?

Proost

Post by Proost » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:12 pm

I have the same issue and I think it the problem lies in the source content you are playing. I have never completely solved it, but here are some things I have tried to make it less noticeable.

What are you using to play the files within mediacenter? I use Mediabrowser and I have used an external player in mediabrowser. I used VLC and it allows you to go over 100% and that helps balance it out.

Look at the source video file's audio track - I have noticed that if the audio track's channels match what you are watching it on, it all works a little better. For example, if you are watching it on a TV with just 2 speakers, video files with 2.0 audio tracks work better than ones with 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks.

All in all I take as one of the small hang-ups of having a play everything, do everything HTPC.

Proost

Post by Proost » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Shackleford wrote:Have you tried to see what it sounds like with the auto volume option on/off in wmc settings?
Hi Shackleford- Where is this in the settings of WMC? I can't seem to find it.

Thank you!

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Tasks > Settings > TV > Audio

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Proost wrote:Look at the source video file's audio track - I have noticed that if the audio track's channels match what you are watching it on, it all works a little better. For example, if you are watching it on a TV with just 2 speakers, video files with 2.0 audio tracks work better than ones with 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks.
I notice this as well, a 5.1 audio track through stereo speakers needs to be turned up quite a bit.

mgftp

Post by mgftp » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Proost wrote:I have the same issue and I think it the problem lies in the source content you are playing. I have never completely solved it, but here are some things I have tried to make it less noticeable.

What are you using to play the files within mediacenter? I use Mediabrowser and I have used an external player in mediabrowser. I used VLC and it allows you to go over 100% and that helps balance it out.

Look at the source video file's audio track - I have noticed that if the audio track's channels match what you are watching it on, it all works a little better. For example, if you are watching it on a TV with just 2 speakers, video files with 2.0 audio tracks work better than ones with 5.1 or 7.1 audio tracks.

All in all I take as one of the small hang-ups of having a play everything, do everything HTPC.
Are you saying there a way to use media browser in WMC but launch the video in a external player?... I know there is an option of just using an external player but I'd really like everything integrated in WMC if at all possible since I do TV through it already.