For all the Android Echo doubters

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
richard1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by richard1980 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:05 pm

muaddib wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
muaddib wrote:I hope it has XBMC support because I have moved on. This is freaking madness. What will you do if your wife or girlfriend gave you the cold shoulder for 5 months? Then out of the blue she I love you but really wasn't thinking about you when she said it then back to giving you the cold shoulder?

I found me a new wife in MediaPortal and XBMC. :)
Neither of which supports US CATV playback with Copy Protection. You can get just about any streamer for local playback but TV Playback is a whole other animal.
Not true. I have two HDPVR(s) and 1 colossus and I am in complete Hidef TV bliss.
What is not true? It is certainly true that neither MediaPortal nor XBMC support copy protection. I don't see how that has anything to do with your HDPVRs and Colossus. If you are able to display content recorded from the HDPVR or Colossus in MediaPortal or XBMC, that content isn't copy protected.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:13 pm

EZEd wrote:I don't have the echo yet. Is it's only video out HDMI or does it have component out like the Linksys boxes?
http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

•Size: 3.9" x 0.8" x 4.3"
•Power Consumption: less than 5 watts
•Outputs: HDMI, Optical Digital Audio (TOSLINK)
•Other Connectors: USB 2.0, Mini USB (for power)
•Network: Ethernet (10/100/1000)
•Audio formats supported: Dolby Digital AC-3, MP3, PCM, WMA, WMA Pro
•Photo formats supported: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF
•Video formats supported: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:04 pm

foxwood wrote:http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

•Size: 3.9" x 0.8" x 4.3"
•Power Consumption: less than 5 watts
•Outputs: HDMI, Optical Digital Audio (TOSLINK)
•Other Connectors: USB 2.0, Mini USB (for power)
•Network: Ethernet (10/100/1000)
•Audio formats supported: Dolby Digital AC-3, MP3, PCM, WMA, WMA Pro
•Photo formats supported: BMP, GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF
•Video formats supported: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.264, WMV9
Will definitely have to keep my fingers crossed that my DMAs don't break - if so that's the end of the line for DRM free. Either that, or hope the CableCos/content owners come to their senses and repeal DRM (hahaha - fat chance of that happening).

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:57 am

Y'all are missing one important point that muaddib made, which is that he's on U-Verse because he doesn't like cable in his area. You're stuck with a kludged-up system if you want to run WMC with that.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:52 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:Y'all are missing one important point that muaddib made, which is that he's on U-Verse because he doesn't like cable in his area. You're stuck with a kludged-up system if you want to run WMC with that.
I saw that but didn't have time to respond to it. That would require the use of Uverse's STB/DVR and the HD PVR to connect to an HTPC. I'm not really sure where the echo would even fit in this scenario at all so I'm wondering why muaddib is posting it in here..

I had Uverse for about 4 or 5 years while Charter got caught in the HD offerings. Now that they are, I find that Charter's HD is of far superior picture quality because there's just so much you can squeeze out over a mile from the NAD curbside Refrigerator to the customer's house. Charter, OTOH has fiber on the pole down the block and a very large guage cable feeding the street. I found Uverse to be very compressed and full of nasty macroblocking but find Charter to be a very clean picture.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:56 pm

muaddib wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
muaddib wrote:I hope it has XBMC support because I have moved on. This is freaking madness. What will you do if your wife or girlfriend gave you the cold shoulder for 5 months? Then out of the blue she I love you but really wasn't thinking about you when she said it then back to giving you the cold shoulder?

I found me a new wife in MediaPortal and XBMC. :)
Neither of which supports US CATV playback with Copy Protection. You can get just about any streamer for local playback but TV Playback is a whole other animal.
Not true. I have two HDPVR(s) and 1 colossus and I am in complete Hidef TV bliss.
I see.. It can be copy protected content but you still have to rent a STB/DVR from the CableCo (or in this case Uverse) and utilize the "analog loophole". In my case, the CableCARD solution saves me money on my bill and provides a better picture. YMMV. In your area it could very well be the case that Uverse provides better TV service than the CableCo does.. as in my post above this was the case for me for several years.

muaddib

Post by muaddib » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:01 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
slowbiscuit wrote:Y'all are missing one important point that muaddib made, which is that he's on U-Verse because he doesn't like cable in his area. You're stuck with a kludged-up system if you want to run WMC with that.
I saw that but didn't have time to respond to it. That would require the use of Uverse's STB/DVR and the HD PVR to connect to an HTPC. I'm not really sure where the echo would even fit in this scenario at all so I'm wondering why muaddib is posting it in here..

I had Uverse for about 4 or 5 years while Charter got caught in the HD offerings. Now that they are, I find that Charter's HD is of far superior picture quality because there's just so much you can squeeze out over a mile from the NAD curbside Refrigerator to the customer's house. Charter, OTOH has fiber on the pole down the block and a very large guage cable feeding the street. I found Uverse to be very compressed and full of nasty macroblocking but find Charter to be a very clean picture.
My previous system consisted of W7MCE, dvblink 3, 3 xbox 360s, and 2 dm2100s. Does that answer your question.

Right now, MP and XBMC has surpassed MCE in streaming music, videos, and has a comparable tv solution especially those of us who uses Direct TV, uverse, ATSC, or some other non cable TV solution.

My current setup consists of 3 xbox 360s streaming uverse independently as stand alone recievers, 1 laptop, 1 desktop, and 2 asrock 330ht nettops streaming tv via xbmc and media portal.

If Echo would have panned out in a timely fashion I would have stayed with MCE and extender setup. However, I had to make a decision, stay still and wait for hopes and wishes and broken promises or move forward with a working solution that turned out pretty awesome.

This setup is very similar to my setup on both of my nettops, laptop, and desktop. I am also running xbmc and I plan on deploying openelec in one of my guest rooms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL91t2ggcIo

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Okay, the $28 I save every month with my set up allows me to bump into the sports package and still pocket some change each month.

What you are posting here has nothing to do with the echo or android on the echo..

muaddib

Post by muaddib » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Okay, the $28 I save every month with my set up allows me to bump into the sports package and still pocket some change each month.

What you are posting here has nothing to do with the echo or android on the echo..
Good for you saving a whopping $28/mo, lol. I blow that a day on lunch and breakfast. I have all of the premium channels, hidef pkg, and sport packages.

Android on Echo is one of the reasons why the Echo fixes are being delayed. If it wasn't delayed I would have probably stayed with MCE and extender model deployment. Simple logic as to why I am posting here, sorry if you cannot follow.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:41 pm

muaddib wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Okay, the $28 I save every month with my set up allows me to bump into the sports package and still pocket some change each month.

Good for you saving a whopping $28/mo, lol. I blow that a day on lunch and breakfast. I have all of the premium channels, hidef pkg, and sport packages.

Android on Echo is one of the reasons why the Echo fixes are being delayed. If it wasn't delayed I would have probably stayed with MCE and extender model deployment. Simple logic as to why I am posting here, sorry if you cannot follow.
My echo goes for weeks on end without issue for Live/Recorded TV content since I switched back to the provided USB power cable. Other content does not work as well as would be desired but ceton never promised mkv support at release time.

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I have been waiting on the sidelines not posting much on this all to give Ceton as much time as possible. My Echo works OK, but the Christmas promise was 9+ months ago. I now think the entire thing is a bad joke and I think I would fall over if the Android ever gets released. Technology improves so quickly that I am afraid that by the time Ceton does ever (if they ever) release dadroid, there will be other stuff out there. My WMC is still the best solution for my situation, but coming here to this thread is just a rehash of the last months and months of false hope. Do we have any hints, besides this "leak" that anything is actually coming? This is a useful device for me and my family, but it is also my hobby. As such, I like to try things out and improve my toy. It might be time to look for a new hobby.

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:53 pm

soccerdad wrote:Do we have any hints, besides this "leak" that anything is actually coming?
Well, now we know it isn't coming. I have to say, I wasn't expecting that.

I returned my Echo back in February, but this sure sucks for all those Echo users who suffered through about six months of no firmware updates.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 am

Please use the new thread Ceton started today linked in the post above for further comments.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123