Xbox 360 Slim vs. Xbox 360 E vs. Echo

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
dandys

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 Slim vs. Xbox 360 E vs. Echo

Post by dandys » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi,

I've been considering getting an extender and was wondering what you all think between the two newest Xbox models, or just the Echo. I currently run and am using an Echo but have been worried by a lack of word on Windows 8 support/android update on Echo. I am still within the return window of my Echo (it is running out though) and I am considering returning it in and buying an Xbox and possibly trying it again if/when it is updated.

Here are my main concerns:

Xbox 360 S
pro: component out, Windows 8 support
con: more power use than other 2 options

Xbox 360 E/newest model
pro: 120 W, supposedly quieter, Windows 8 support
con: no component out, unsure about HDCP

Ceton Echo
pro: low power, possibility of future updates with android allowing netflix etc. for free rather than requiring membership
con: no windows 8 support currently

My current main HTPC runs Windows 7 so I should be good for a while, I am just nervous about the future and Windows 8+ support and wouldn't want to be held back from upgrading.

I would naturally go with the newer model Xbox if I were to buy an Xbox because it is supposed to be quieter and draw less power than the previous model. However, news of the removal of component out has made me a little concerned whether I would be locking myself out of certain things by going with the newer model.

For example, I own the Hauppauge HD-PVR 2, which I had been using to record gameplay and television from a set-top box before I got into WMC. The PS3 allowed for recording gameplay through HDMI, but the set-top boxes didn't because of HDCP. My question is, does anyone know whether Xbox protects the HDMI signal for either gameplay or media playing? While I don't see myself doing a lot of recording, that possibility could certainly be a reason to go for the older slim versus this one.

I guess one last option would be to return the Echo and just wait for news to come out that sways me either way, using a cable box (which I haven't yet returned, newly switched) in the mean time.
Any advice or discussion would be great.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:32 am

Ceton Echo
con: no component output

XBox 360 Slim:
http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Te ... nstruction

look at the blue bars for the Slim power consumption. 70 watts at idle, and streaming video is pretty much idling for that box.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Personally, I would hang in there with the Echo and possibly pick up a cheap used Xbox to try. While Xbox is less buggy, plays more file types and does Netflix (with a Live subscription), your WMC experience just isn't going to be all that different aside from the extra background noise from the power brick fan.

OTOH, if you return the Echo, you can likely pick up one cheaper later as they often go on sale and show up on ebay. I picked up 2 brand new ones for $99 each when they went on sale a few weeks ago, which is the same amount I sold my Xboxes for.

If you're a gamer and want an Xbox anyway, then go for it.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:16 pm

After seeing teardowns of the new 360e I think the 360s might be a better option as it seems it uses pretty much the same hardware less the corners cut so Microsoft could save a few bucks. Sounds like it will pull just as much power and it uses the same fan and power brick so I doubt it will be any quieter.

As for the echo that depends whether you want something functioning properly now or 6 months from now.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:26 pm

I just got an Xbox 360 E the other day. I really like it so far. In the room I use it in I can't hear any noise coming from it. That really is strange because I had an original xbox 360 and it was LOUD even with replaced fans.
Anyway, my old xbox died and I just had the one extender, after sending back the echo, so I figured I needed a backup extender.
I don't think you can really go wrong with the xbox 360 e unless you need component but component is really disappearing from everything, I'm not sure it would be an issue for most people.
I just got sick of waiting for the echo and I really don't need another android box anyway.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:42 pm

Interesting. I just read about a teardown of the new 360, and it contains the same fan, the same CPU, the same heatsink, uses the same power brick, etc. I wonder why M$ thinks it will be even quieter than the slim.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:51 pm

Thicker plastic on the case to dampen the noise :D

And 'M$', really? What year is this, 1998? lol

[Moderator note: posts regarding Apple products moved here--> http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 4&start=40]

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:38 pm

mdavej wrote:Personally, I would hang in there with the Echo and possibly pick up a cheap used Xbox to try. While Xbox is less buggy, plays more file types and does Netflix (with a Live subscription), your WMC experience just isn't going to be all that different aside from the extra background noise from the power brick fan.
I have two Slims and the PS fan is inaudible at both, you have to put your ear right up to the bricks to hear them. The Slim itself makes noise, but you can't hear it at normal TV volume level and viewing distances.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:24 pm

But when the PS fan goes, it will be noticeably loud. I had one quiet Slim and one loud one.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:53 am

Can use a win7 laptop as an extender?....also....on 360 or echo...or pc gor that matter...can u pause a show ur recording on main device and pick back up on the extender.....I ask because we record mlb games and start watching about 45 mins on delay to to fast foward through commericals....sometimes we don't catch up before bed and it would be nice to just pickup where we left off....

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:30 am

maseline_98 wrote:Can use a win7 laptop as an extender?....also....on 360 or echo...or pc gor that matter...can u pause a show ur recording on main device and pick back up on the extender.....I ask because we record mlb games and start watching about 45 mins on delay to to fast foward through commericals....sometimes we don't catch up before bed and it would be nice to just pickup where we left off....
Nope/ish, 360-yup, Echo-yup, PC-ish.
I'll throw in a perhaps and a maybe.

Protected path, and the ignorance of Microsoft from the early days restricts a lot of things Windows-streamie we see today.

What it could have been. Oh my......
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:51 am

STC wrote:
maseline_98 wrote:Can use a win7 laptop as an extender?....also....on 360 or echo...or pc gor that matter...can u pause a show ur recording on main device and pick back up on the extender.....I ask because we record mlb games and start watching about 45 mins on delay to to fast foward through commericals....sometimes we don't catch up before bed and it would be nice to just pickup where we left off....
Nope/ish, 360-yup, Echo-yup, PC-ish.
I'll throw in a perhaps and a maybe.

Protected path, and the ignorance of Microsoft from the early days restricts a lot of things Windows-streamie we see today.

What it could have been. Oh my......
Well...that didn't really clear it up for me(it actuallu confused me more...lol)....I just bought a 360 slim on ebay (like 10 minutes ago)....

I hope ur answer was I can start in one room and end in another before the recording finishes(I.e. like whole house dvr)

STC

Post by STC » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:52 am

Well TBH your question wasn't too clear either :)
I just followed suit.

Only true extenders can continue where you left off.
that includes the 360, but not a PC.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:29 am

STC wrote:Well TBH your question wasn't too clear either :)
I just followed suit.

Only true extenders can continue where you left off.
that includes the 360, but not a PC.
Glad to hear that answer....thought I may have wasted some $$$...

Thanks again

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:04 am

maseline_98 wrote:Can use a win7 laptop as an extender?
you can watch recordings made by the PC on the laptop, but it,s not a full Extender - you can't control the recordings or the schedule from a laptop the way an actual Media Center Extender can.
...also....on 360 or echo...or pc gor that matter...can u pause a show ur recording on main device and pick back up on the extender.....I ask because we record mlb games and start watching about 45 mins on delay to to fast foward through commericals....sometimes we don't catch up before bed and it would be nice to just pickup where we left off....
Yes. Start on one screen, stop and pick up where you left off on a different screen.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:12 am

foxwood wrote:
maseline_98 wrote:Can use a win7 laptop as an extender?
you can watch recordings made by the PC on the laptop...
You can only watch the recordings on a different computer if the recordings are NOT copy-protected. Otherwise, an extender is the ONLY way to watch copy-protected recordings (of course, they are also watchable on the PC where they were recorded).

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:53 am

Has anyone looked at the boot time (of course, mostly interested specifically in the boot time into media center) on the S or E relative to the original xbox models? I wouldn't expect it to be much different, but I was just curious.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 pm

Last time I checked it was around 40 seconds for a Slim to boot into WMC.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Ok thanks, yeah that doesn't sound much different.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm just curious if the recent Echo news changes the math here for anyone? I already have a hardware investment in an InfiniTV and my HTPC, so I'll be riding this horse until MS finally kills it (or the guide data turns to s**t). Given that, would I be better with an Xbox 360 Slim, or a Ceton Echo??? I'm leaning toward waiting for the Xbox One to release, then scooping up a Slim on Ebay when the price drops...