How To: Media Center on Xbox One

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
AppStar

HTPC Specs: Show details

How To: Media Center on Xbox One

Post by AppStar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Xbox One probably won't work as a Media Center Extender. This is how I plan to keep using Media Center on my Xbox One...

Also, anybody know where to get a good deal on a generator when my setup takes down the power grid?
WMC-on-my-Xbox-One.jpg

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:04 pm

AppStar wrote:Xbox One probably won't work as a Media Center Extender.
What do you base that on?

AppStar

Post by AppStar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Pure speculation. Microsoft spent quite a bit of time demoing live tv integration. If that's the direction they are heading I can't see why they would continue to support Media Center.

Honestly, Media Center is the best TV viewing experience available and I love it. But it could be much better. If Microsoft builds a native Xbox One TV client that can work with network tuners, I'll be extremely happy.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Assuming that the One's interface works like Google TV has anyone tried using WMC with an extender through Google TV?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 pm

AppStar wrote:Xbox One probably won't work as a Media Center Extender. This is how I plan to keep using Media Center on my Xbox One...

Also, anybody know where to get a good deal on a generator when my setup takes down the power grid?
WMC-on-my-Xbox-One.jpg

Vote with your wallet, don't get the ONE.

Having said that, I have pre-ordered XBOX ONE DAY ONE from 3 different places for flipping.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:23 am

jagrime2 wrote:Assuming that the One's interface works like Google TV has anyone tried using WMC with an extender through Google TV?
I've been doing this for a couple of years with the logitech Revue GTV. It is a great combination, I didn't know if I would like the keyboard control or not but I really like it. You pick the media center IR codes and everything works great (and you stick the IR transmitter on the front of the extender).
I'm hoping that the xbone supports the media center IR codes also and it will/should be a great combination but we won't know until we can see the list of 'supported' devices for the xbone.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 am

According to the verge, developing apps for xbox is the same as developing for windows 8. so maybe there is hope MS will give us the WMC addon :)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/27/44706 ... build-2013

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 am

WMC isn't a "Windows 8" aka "Modern" app, so that suggestion isn't particularly relevant.

rantanamo

Post by rantanamo » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:55 am

If the Media Center IR codes work, then it would be a great option to finally have the ONE box that Microsoft has been chasing for 20 years. If it could work with USB tuners I would take that over being an extender. I'm guessing its more like Google TV from everything I've read.

penetronn

Post by penetronn » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Exactly what I was thinking about doing. I was a bit surprised that Microsoft didn't put an hdmi pass through on the Xbox 360 E. This would allow a third component (i.e. cable box, htpc) to be hooked up via daisy chain and create a truly integrated media hub with backwards compatibility. Honestly if you use media center via extender you can accomplish the same thing using Appstar's diagram. Nice work sir.

tarheel

Post by tarheel » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:17 pm

What do you guys think about the following from an AMA with an Xbox One Dev on reddit. When asked what he was running and what he snapped he responded:

XboxOneDevConfirmed XB1 Dev 45 points 2 days ago
Netflix on the PC with skype(X1) snapped.

Does this mean that you can use an HDMI from your pc to Xbox one? If so does that mean we can still use WMC on our PC into the Xbox one? Oh the questions to be answered for us HTPC users.

Ericstuberg

Post by Ericstuberg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:37 am

This is essentially what I did with my Slingbox,and it worked great....basically let me use my iPad as an "extender" via the slingbox app.

Hopefully, this will not be necessary, and they don't bring us back 10 years in time and only allow IR. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:56 pm

jagrime2 wrote:Assuming that the One's interface works like Google TV has anyone tried using WMC with an extender through Google TV?
I do and I think it works surprisingly well. I have a DMA2100 plugged into a Revue. Live tv, Netflix, my entire movie library via Plex, Pandora, etc all in one input. Too bad the 1st gen x86 GTV devices are being left for dead in the update department.

GTV knows that when its in "live tv mode" that your remote commands need to control your set top box. It's not as good as a PC would be, but its small, quiet, was inexpensive, and gets the job done.

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:06 pm

AppStar wrote:Xbox One probably won't work as a Media Center Extender. This is how I plan to keep using Media Center on my Xbox One...

WMC-on-my-Xbox-One.jpg
Priceless! If there becomes a compelling reason for me to ever buy an Xbox One, ill have the same system as you (but with a few more InfiniTV's)

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:59 am

WMC-on-my-Xbox-One.jpg
ROTFLMAO!
The Osburn Family Wife wrote:Is "magic beans" a new program for our MediaCenter?
^--she was serious
The Osburn Family Husband wrote: :roll:
^-- I went and got a beer
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

tletourneau

Post by tletourneau » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:33 am

I do this with my Xbox 360 through my Sony Blu-ray GTV, works great.
Thanks,
Tom