App on WinPhone8 and Win8 desktop?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

App on WinPhone8 and Win8 desktop?

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:44 pm

I picked up a Nokia Lumia 521 last week from Walmart for $129 just to check it out. I haven't activated it as a phone yet, but it connects to WiFi, and I've uploaded photos to my SkyDrive and opened documents on my SkyDrive, and I bought a copy of the Ceton MyMediaCenter app.

Should that copy also show up on my Windows8 desktop, that's logged in to the same account, or is the WinPhone8 App Store actually a different store from the Windows8 App Store?

I don't actually need the app on my Win8 desktop, but I thought that the possibility of having the same apps on the desktop and the phone was supposed to be one of the advantages of the WinPhone8 eco-system?

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:24 pm

The market places are separate. So you would have to purchase the app on your Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Now any Windows Phone or Windows 8 device that is using that account can download and install the app though once you have purchased it via the store. The desktop Win 8 version is my favorite version overall, although I have an android phone so I use that very often.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Is the WinPhone8 version of the app different from the Win8 version? I couldn't find a way to change the background color in the Phone version - it seems to only be available in Black, while the Android version defaults to White, with the option of switching to Black.

It's a pity about the separate stores - not so much for the MMC app, which isn't all that useful to me on my desktop (I just remote into the HTPC if I'm at my desktop), but there are other apps that might be handy to have the same on the phone and the desktop.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Themes per platform:

Android (In App Setting):
Light Theme (default with light gray accent)
Dark Theme
4 accent colors of the top action bar

iOS
1 Standard Theme

Windows Phone (based on the phones setting for light or dark theme)
Light Theme
Dark Theme
Accent Color (based on phone setting)

Windows 8:
1 standard theme

As far as features go all versions are just about the same. The Windows 8 has a really great home screen and really great live tile notifications. Windows 8 apps to me are all based on what type of device you have, great for tablets, kind of useful for laptop/desktops.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Motz wrote: Windows Phone (based on the phones setting for light or dark theme)
Light Theme
Dark Theme
Accent Color (based on phone setting)
So there's no setting in the App itself, it depends on how the phone is set up?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:44 pm

foxwood wrote:So there's no setting in the App itself, it depends on how the phone is set up?
Correct, from how I read it.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:01 am

For windows phone the design philosophy is to make apps feel/look like native apps on the phone.

So if the user wants their phone in light theme with pink accent color then the apps should respect that.

A lot of apps have their own custom colors and such. However app devs are supposed to develop against the users preferences.

I think someone (jeff wilcox) made a theme switcher devs can integrate, but I haven't looked into it just yet.

In windows 8 developers have no access to the users accent color so they can't really customize anything special like that, so I developed my own custom theme for windows 8 app.
I Write, Code, and Tweet