Re-installed Windows 7 - Recordings Won't Play

mattiedread

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re-installed Windows 7 - Recordings Won't Play

Post by mattiedread » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:07 pm

I had to reinstall the OS yesterday, computer wouldn't boot and wouldn't take a repair install. I finally have media center Digital Cable Advisor all set up, can tune HDCP. However, I can not play recordings which were saved prior to the reinstall, they are 'copy protected and can only be played on the computer they were recorded on". It is the exact same hardware set up, OS was reinstalled using the same disk I originally loaded it with.

Running an i5 with 8GB of memeory, have an infini TV 4 and HD Homerun Prime (3). Tuners appear to be working fine, just the saved content is not playing.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:14 pm

Yep. Welcome to DRM. Your reinstall lost any and all DRM keys that those recordings are looking for, and you can't rebuild those keys.

I guess you could have restored from a backup; at least the shows that need the DRM keys that the backup had would have been playable.

It looks like your cableco marks everything with DRM. Going forward, you'll have to dump what recordings you have and start fresh.

Do you have any alternative providers that don't mark everything with DRM? You might consider this a wakeup call to look around for another provider.

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:49 pm

On Eastern Long Island it Cablevision or satellite only... Verizon was coming out here, but, they cancelled those plans.

But, not a lot is unavailable... mostly HBO and A and E (too bad as I was accumulating all the Breaking Bads and had planned to watch over the summer).

Also, my Ceton diagnostic tool isn't in my Media Center menu, and I can't seem to add it back. I don't feel like playing around with it anymore.

I didn't restore from back up because I couldn't boot the machine at all, from install disk my only option was reload, repair didn't work. I did create a few images, but nothing recently... and because I wasn't certain of the source of the crashing I thought a clean start would be best.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 pm

Doesn't surprise me that HBO is marked with DRM.

So you *can* play recordings which were saved prior to the reinstall--just not all of them.