No Guide Data - Verizon FiOS

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
tkeppell

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tkeppell » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:52 pm

I ran the setup but no luck. I am Dallas area. Only the local channel guide is showing up.

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi, I too ran the TV set up again and again and again with no luck. I am getting the local channels in my guide but that's it. When I go to the "about guide" it shows I am up to date and the date shown is about two weeks in the future. I've spent many hours on the phone with Verizon personnel and all but one person even knew how to validate my cards. I had the tech manually disable the card and resend their signal to both cards and nothing. I get all the channels but there is "No data available" in the guide for most channels. Verizon blamed the third party Zap2it for the problem. I also download the Thirty Two Turner Salad to make sure I had all eight tuners working and I do.

This is very frustrating. I have search high and low for fixes and have tried everyone with no luck. I even e-mailed Zap2it for help and they blamed Verizon which makes me think it's a Media Center issue. Any thoughts?
Totalmoose

Verizon Fios Tampa
Ceton video cards in pc
6 Xbox extenders

cybrsage

Post by cybrsage » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:51 pm

I rebooted my HTPC and reran the setup, which restored my Guide Data. This is in Verizon Harrisburg.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:09 pm

totalmoose wrote: Any thoughts?
A number of FiOS customers in various markets have reported a problem with guide updates since mid-May, and re-running TV setup, to tell WMC whatever new name/number Verizon is using in their market, has been sufficient to restore their guide updates.

The problem has nothing to do with Card activation, so it's possible that Verizon screwed your account up by messing with the account activation. You don't need Guide data to watch live TV - can you tune channels and see the programming that you should be seeing?

tkeppell

Post by tkeppell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 am

tkeppell wrote:I ran the setup but no luck. I am Dallas area. Only the local channel guide is showing up.
I had to wait for about 45 min after running the setup. Guide is back and everything is working as expected.

tad

Post by tad » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

It's possible to repair the guide data without rerunning tv setup in media center using GuideTool. I've been using GuideTool for the past several years and have found it incredibly useful for backing up and restoring my customized channel listings.

1. Install and launch GuideTool
2. Select all of your channels in the left pane
3. Click Subscribe-->By Channel Call Sign
4. Close GuideTool and launch media center
5. Update guide listings in media center
6. Wait for 5-10 minutes, and your guide data should reappear.

You can get GuideTool here: http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 am

Hi Tad, MC won't download the guide. I get an error. Do I have to merge the tuners? If so what option is best? I have eight tuners. Please help.
Last edited by totalmoose on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:09 am

foxwood wrote:The problem has nothing to do with Card activation, so it's possible that Verizon screwed your account up by messing with the account activation. You don't need Guide data to watch live TV - can you tune channels and see the programming that you should be seeing?
I can see the programs fine but I can't record programs or see what show is on the channel when I go through the guide. It just says "no data available". The recording works with the program title.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:55 am

totalmoose wrote:
foxwood wrote:The problem has nothing to do with Card activation, so it's possible that Verizon screwed your account up by messing with the account activation. You don't need Guide data to watch live TV - can you tune channels and see the programming that you should be seeing?
I can see the programs fine but I can't record programs or see what show is on the channel when I go through the guide. It just says "no data available". The recording works with the program title.
Then it's not a CableCard activation issue, it's purely a guide data issue.

Rerun TV setup again, but this time put in a zip code on the far side of whatever city you're in. You should still get the same choice of providers, but if there's an error with your zip code, this will work around it.

Remember that guide data can take a while to download, so wait an hour before you decide it didn't work.

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:17 am

Thanks for the reply Foxwood. I've tried the different zip code work around before with no luck. I have gone through the TV set up numerous times hoping for a good result but none yet. The error I get is that the guide won't download so waiting isn't a problem. I would wait a week if it would only download.

tad

Post by tad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:31 am

totalmoose - are you in the midwest by any chance? It sounds like the folks in the midwest (texas?) are having a different issue with fios guide data than those of us in the DC metro area (where I am)

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:41 am

Hi Tad, I'm in Tampa with Verizon Fios as the provider. Do you think I should merge the cards?

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:50 am

I found this info on mymce. My brother in law has Verizon FiOS in riverside California and even after rerunning tuner setup with different zip codes we had no luck but after running the trick below located in task manager he was able to download guide data. Hope this helps those still having trouble.

http://mymce.wordpress.com/2011/01/23/f ... oad-error/

Problem:-I have windows 7 ultimate.I can not download guide in windows media center.I am getting the following error:-

The guide could not be downloaded for more information right click the windows media center tray icon and open the Windows Media Center Update Log.

Resolution:-

Click the Start button.

In the Start Search box type in:task .

Locate Task Scheduler in the Program menu and launch it.

Expand Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Media Center and highlight it.

Locate ObjectStoreRecoveryTask,which is present on the middle pane ,right click on it and select Run.

After a break of say 15-20 minutes open WMC ,go to Tasks > Settings > General > Automatic Download options > Download Now.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:59 am

I've seen a few customers lately who were having guide data troubles with "Invalid Headend ID" in their event logs. Re-running TV setup resolves that issue.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

totalmoose

Post by totalmoose » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:24 pm

lurch66 wrote:I found this info on mymce. My brother in law has Verizon FiOS in riverside California and even after rerunning tuner setup with different zip codes we had no luck but after running the trick below located in task manager he was able to download guide data. Hope this helps those still having trouble.

I love you Lurch66!!!!! Thank your brother in law for me!!! The trick worked and I now have my full guide. My life can get back to normal. My wife and kids can stop asking me everyday about it, (which they did for the last two months). It's hard to believe that I will be able to record shows again and be able to fast forward the commercials. We are so spoiled anymore but it was agony for the last few months to watch a full episode of a show with commercials. I don't have to call Verizon anymore or e-mail Zap2it anymore. I wish there was a way to let everyone know how to do this. You wouldn't believe all of the searches I did and the forums I read trying to find a way around this problem. I am indebted to you now. The Green Button forum is awesome!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

lurch66

Post by lurch66 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:13 am

totalmoose wrote:
lurch66 wrote:I found this info on mymce. My brother in law has Verizon FiOS in riverside California and even after rerunning tuner setup with different zip codes we had no luck but after running the trick below located in task manager he was able to download guide data. Hope this helps those still having trouble.

I love you Lurch66!!!!! Thank your brother in law for me!!! The trick worked and I now have my full guide. My life can get back to normal. My wife and kids can stop asking me everyday about it, (which they did for the last two months). It's hard to believe that I will be able to record shows again and be able to fast forward the commercials. We are so spoiled anymore but it was agony for the last few months to watch a full episode of a show with commercials. I don't have to call Verizon anymore or e-mail Zap2it anymore. I wish there was a way to let everyone know how to do this. You wouldn't believe all of the searches I did and the forums I read trying to find a way around this problem. I am indebted to you now. The Green Button forum is awesome!!!! Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
Glad It worked for you :thumbup: happy recording.

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:12 am

I wish it would work for me! I have Surewest in Sacramento (Fiber Optic) and have had no guide update in nearly two weeks. I have tried all of the tricks listed here and have had no luck. I'm hoping that a reload will help my problem. If not, I'm up the proverbial creek! I'm pretty sure this will end up with the wife nixing WMC.

Eric

elgordo123

Post by elgordo123 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 pm

This happened to me a while ago too, using Verizon fios (Pomona feed). This link helped me get going:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/09/clearing ... enter.html

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 pm

Looks like they changed the listing ID again, but this time immediately got rid of the old one, so MCE thinks TV setup was never done.
Noticed there are about 10 new channels in the CableCARD channel map.

audioguy61

Post by audioguy61 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:20 am

Thank you so much for this. I started this thread and have done the tuner set up a couple of times now and then to fix guide problems since the original post and I had an guide issue that was not going away. I tried tuner setup twice, uninstalled the tuner card drivers and did it again, uninstalled and then reinstalled Media Center from the Windows components in Control panel. I was contemplating scorching the Earth and trying a clean Windows install when I checked back with this thread and boy am I glad I did, well done!