[Speculation] XBOX One and InfiniTV 6 ETH

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Speculation] XBOX One and InfiniTV 6 ETH

Post by scyto » Tue May 21, 2013 9:21 pm

It seems the XBOX One will use HDMI in and IR blasters to control cable STBs - boo, that makes it equivalent to XP MCE circa 2002. Personally I saw nothing but issues with IR blasting.
What would be better is if the XBOX one could use a network tuner like the InfiniTV 6 ETH....

... yeah I know pie in the sky, but at least I can dream...

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Tue May 21, 2013 9:48 pm

scyto wrote:It seems the XBOX One will use HDMI in and IR blasters to control cable STBs - boo, that makes it equivalent to XP MCE circa 2002. Personally I saw nothing but issues with IR blasting.
What would be better is if the XBOX one could use a network tuner like the InfiniTV 6 ETH....

... yeah I know pie in the sky, but at least I can dream...
Agreed. HDMI pass through / overlay is disappointing.

Will be curious if it can function as an extender. I'm doubtful it will, so you can imagine a 360 running as an extender hooked up to a One via HDMI pass through for the live tv experience. ;p

Frankly I was hoping to see them partner with someone or do their own IP based TV solution.

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Sun May 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I know a lot of us here, want to know if the XBOX ONE will work as an extender with Windows Media Center. I currently use three XBOX 360's for gaming and as an extender.

If they choose not to support it, I'll continue using my 360's and might purchase a PS4 since I passed on the PS3 for extender functionality on the 360s.

miles267

Post by miles267 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:18 pm

No WMC extender support in Xbox One. They've already confirmed.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun May 26, 2013 3:22 pm

miles267 wrote:No WMC extender support in Xbox One. They've already confirmed.
Do you have a source for that?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Ditto for the source for that information.

Not explicitly saying "plus it does WMC extender duties" is not the same as explicitly saying "it does not do WMC extender duties".

My guess is, given the lack of backward compatibility, they'll continue to sell the 360.

SoundForSound

Post by SoundForSound » Sun May 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I have heard they are actually coming out with a $100 360 to be announced at E3. So I believe they still see some life in the 360.

It would just be nice to have One box instead of two.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon May 27, 2013 12:03 am

So the new one is the XBox One--does that make the revamped 360 the XBox Two?

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Tue May 28, 2013 3:11 am

There is no way I'm investing in a new XBox. Games are too expensive these days and I'm just not into them like the good old days. I'm still curious to see what the xbox one offers and or morphs into over the next few years though.

Maaz

Post by Maaz » Wed May 29, 2013 11:50 pm

I might be in the minority here but what I'm curious is if the XBOX One supports an HTPC running WMC as a set top box instead of using a box from the cable company. This would at least allow me to use the Xbox One's interface instead of WMC until a better option is available such as CableCard tuner and DVR support or live TV streaming with online DVR storage.

If a specific cable set top box is required, this would make the TV capabilities of the Xbox One useless for us.

Maaz

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu May 30, 2013 12:06 am

Or wishful thinking is that more providers will let the XBox1 be a legit CableCard supported DVR like the 360 is with Uverse IPTV currently.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Thu May 30, 2013 1:43 pm

It could be a 'Cablecard supported DVR' if both the Ceton and the Xbox supported DLNA w/DTCP-IP today, but neither do. And then the Xbone would have to implement the approved DRM necessary to have protected storage. You don't even need the providers' support or approval, it just needs CableLabs approved DRM.

This already works with the PS3 and the HD Homerun Prime today btw, but it's only live TV. And DLNA clients are very ugly, UI-wise, and have no program guide.

I hope that SiliconDust is in talks with MS about this for the Xbone, but they are such a small fish in a big pond. And Cablecard sucks anyway so I doubt MS would be interested in going that route.

Ericstuberg

Post by Ericstuberg » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:39 am

It hasn't been confirmed. There is no source.

I am trying to not get my hopes up, but I realy think they will at least support extender functions or CableCard.

Microsoft is going to list its biggest features and carefully guard its marketing like any corporation would. For whatever reason, the rest of the population are not dorks like us Media Center groupies. I think that CableCard support and Exender support are topics that are just too complicated for the average user, so they didnt mention it in the mainline marketing. Rather they focus on the easy, mainline features people want. I am hoping they have an easy way to have television support withHDMI/IR blasting for the normal user, while hopefully not ditching the capabilities that are far superior and already on the market (Cablecard) for the rest of us. Otherwise it is a rediculous and embarssing step back.

Honestly, if they did market or embrace CableCard support/Extender support as the main way they integrate television, 85% of people wouldnt have a clue what they were talking about. Can you imagine average "Joe Blow -I-am-exicted-that-my-iphone-has-apps-"consumer trying to figure out how to get comcast on the phoen and install a cable card with every Xbox One sold?

gilhamj

Post by gilhamj » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Any updates on how MCE will be controlled by Xbox One?

I wish that at least IR could be confirmed now.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Ericstuberg wrote:It hasn't been confirmed. There is no source.

I am trying to not get my hopes up, but I realy think they will at least support extender functions or CableCard.
It has been confirmed, the Xbone will not be a WMC extender. It's going to basically be worthless for TV in my house. Good thing there will be plenty of 360s out there for a long time.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-xb ... r-extender