Automatic video snapshot creator

Quicky

HTPC Specs: Show details

Automatic video snapshot creator

Post by Quicky » Mon May 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Does anybody know of a tool (free or commercial) which will run as a service that can scan a set of folders for video files and automatically create a jpg snapshot for each of the files?

Currently I record videos with my Windows Phone. The videos are automatically synced to SkyDrive, then synced to my Media Center so they are backed up and can be watched immediately. I use Media Browser, but Media Browser does not generate "thumbnails" from the mp4s. Instead for each video file I have to manually take a snapshot using VLC, name the file "folder.jpg" and place the jpg in the folder containing video file. Media Browser uses that image as a thumbnail. Is there an application that can do that automatically, but which will leave my other media libraries alone (i.e. I also use Media Browser for my movie library, but thumbnails and metadata for those are already handled by Media Center Master).

Cheers

foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Mon May 13, 2013 10:44 pm

FFMPEG can extract a frame from a .mp4 file.

ffmpeg.exe -i test.mp4 -vframes 1 test2.jpg

You may already have a copy of ffmpeg.exe - it's included in many open source video conversion tools. If not, you can grab a copy of the latest Windows build from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

You have to write some simple scripting around it to automate it, but that should be fairly straightforward - you could create a batchfile that you could "drop" the video from your phone onto, and it would create a folder of the appropriate name, move the video into that folder, and then create the snapshot. (I don't know what you current workflow is, or are you starting from scratch on this?)