Echo causes HTPC to reboot - solved

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
johny3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo causes HTPC to reboot - solved

Post by johny3 » Thu May 09, 2013 8:49 pm

hi all
I recently set up an htpc with an infinitv 4 as my tuner. I ordered a ceton echo at the same time and set up 2 xboxes as extenders. My first echo was a brick and I got the replacement this morning. Went thru the setup and for some reason my echo when it attempts pretty much anything other than loading wmc causes the htpc to reboot. This does not happen with my other two extenders (xboxes). I have upgraded to the latest firmware on the echo, uninstalled and reinstalled the echo plugin, etc. I had it working for about an hour and then after playing with my son we came back to watch tv and it froze and then I heard the htpc reboot. Any idea why this is happening? I have a ticket out to ceton. Honestly, this is the second echo and I am getting a little frustrated. Hoping to get this figured out. My RMA took a week to get back to newegg since even shoprunner RMAs are slow, I would hate to have to wait another 9-10 business days for a replacement.
any help would be great. I can add more specs, etc if needed.
oh this is on windows 7
Last edited by johny3 on Sat May 11, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu May 09, 2013 9:24 pm

Updating the NIC drivers is frequently suggested for dealing with Echo problems.

Not through Windows Update - check the network chipset in Device Manager, and check the chipset manufacturers website for current drivers.

(I'm not excusing the Echo in this - I don't know what it's doing that nothing else on your network seems to do. But if it's possible for an external device to cause the machine to crash, then the driver needs to be fixed, even if there's a way to stop the Echo from triggering this behaviour in the first place).

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 09, 2013 9:36 pm

^+1
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

johny3

Post by johny3 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am

thanks guys I will do that shortly :)

mikefromnj

Post by mikefromnj » Fri May 10, 2013 6:54 pm

I had the same problem. NIC driver fixed it.

johny3

Post by johny3 » Sat May 11, 2013 1:42 am

hi guys
It ended up being comodo it seems. I did update the NIC driver and it happened again. Uninstalled comodo and now it works.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat May 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Only use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall. They work perfectly well.

johny3

Post by johny3 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Only use Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall. They work perfectly well.
yup I made that change. thank you for suggesting it!