Need help choosing a device

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
sethm1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by sethm1 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:00 pm

Also sounds like a pc needs to be connected to the HD PVR, an option I don't have.

Seems the Broadway may be it.
But to also check tonite with the cable plugged directly into the tv. The one bummer is it only has one tuner. I have a Ethernet cable at this tv which I laid along the wall to my Router last month when I put in new hardwood floor. But this tv is not my main tv. If i connect the Broadway to my main tv in my entertainment center, it would have to be wireless. So hoping my home wifi is good enough that there will be no buffering. I am thinking that another option is buying a power line Ethernet adapter, but then the house is 39 years old and not sure how good the electrical system is.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu May 02, 2013 7:36 pm

sethm1 wrote:If i connect the Broadway to my main tv in my entertainment center, it would have to be wireless. So hoping my home wifi is good enough that there will be no buffering. I am thinking that another option is buying a power line Ethernet adapter, but then the house is 39 years old and not sure how good the electrical system is.
Why would you connect the Broadway to the TV? From my reading of the product page on the Hauppauge site, the Broadway doesn't even output a video signal that the TV would see.

Assuming you've got unencrypted TV signals, you just plug the Broadway into your Cable wherever you have both a spare ethernet port and a spare Cable hookup. In your case, where you're not actually interested in streaming, the spare ethernet port isn't that critical, because a wifi-connection is probably sufficient for connecting to the device to configure it and set up your recordings, and it can save it's output directly to your iFlashdrive.

That's my understanding based on a cursory read on the Hauppauge website anyway. It's certainly implied that the Broadway can be used standalone, without being connected to a PC.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... adway.html

sethm1

Post by sethm1 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Sorry meant that the Broadway would be connected to the DVR. Not the tv itself.

And good point about the wi-fi aspect. If saving the recordings to the USB drive, then not worried about buffering.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:28 pm

The Broadway device has a built-in clear QAM (and ATSC) tuner. If your channels are not copy-protected, you will only need to connect the Broadway device to your coax cable. It has inputs so that it can receive signals from your cable box too, but only in standard definition (not HD). Also, it says that it will record to flash drive, but it doesn't say if the file it produces is in a proprietary format or not.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

sethm1 wrote:Sorry meant that the Broadway would be connected to the DVR.
If it's connected to a DVR, you can only record what the DVR is currently displaying. To get scheduled recordings, rather than manually recording what you're watching, you'll have to connect directly to the cable (or an antenna), not the DVR.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu May 02, 2013 9:14 pm

By the way, when I refer to "scheduled recordings", I'm guessing that that means "record Channel X for 1 hour at 10PM on Tuesday night", rather than "Record Program-Name", though it's certainly possible that they could maintain a reasonable schedule database "in the cloud" and let you pick your schedule from that.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri May 03, 2013 4:30 am

Keep in mind that many operators will be encrypting the OTA channels in the near future, so I generally would discourage people from buying new ClearQAM tuners
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

sethm1

Post by sethm1 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:37 am

Update-
Removed the cable from the Cox DVR and plugged into my TV.
Able to get channels 2 to 13, which is all really looking for.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri May 03, 2013 1:11 pm

I'm surprised its so few. Did you re-scan for digitals?

sethm1

Post by sethm1 » Fri May 03, 2013 5:45 pm

No did not try any digitalis.
On the plus side was more than when I hooked up an antenna last year.