Someone gave me a Niveus Rainier edition Now what to do?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
epayson85

HTPC Specs: Show details

Someone gave me a Niveus Rainier edition Now what to do?

Post by epayson85 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:18 pm

I already have a beast of HTPC hooked up to a denon receiver and I have a couple extenders... love the setup. The CEO of the company I work for knew I was into this stuff because him and I are always talking about it. Well he just had a new synergy system put into his house so he asked me to come over and see if there is anything from his old system that I wanted. There were a lot of old amps that I could really do anything with but then I spotted a Niveus Rainier edition media server, its 2 cable card tuners, and a Niveus Ice Vault 200 DVD disc changer. I also found some nice rack server mountable tripplite UPS. So the question is now... what do I do with all this stuff? haha Any suggestions?

The Niveus is pretty old its running on Vista, I believe has 1gig of ram and has Core2duo in it plus a 750 gig hard drive. I am debating just making it a client in a spare room and then I can take one of my extenders out of the spare room and put in my kitchen. I would add some ram and upgrade to windows 7. The only thing is are there any advantages to the software Niveus used? I would most likely lose everything upgrading to windows 7. The beauty of this thing is the heat passive case. This thing weights 40lbs easily but its beautiful!

Then the ice vault... I have all of my dvd's and blu-rays ripped to hard drives now so I don't know really why I took this but thought it would be cool. I have heard that it would work with MyMovies which I have a license to. Any other ideas as far as what I could do with it.

The dual cable card tuner... Should I just sell it? Its got USB on it but I dont know if thats just to control channels from the niveus and the media center really only gets video from these Svideo outs on the back of the unit. If thats the case the thing is useless and can't even get HD.

Has anyone ever dealt with these media servers before? liked them? Hated them?

Fta123

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Fta123 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 am

Would you consider selling the ranier?