Unable to scan for My MC PC using Wi-fi or add manually

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
andrecook

HTPC Specs: Show details

Unable to scan for My MC PC using Wi-fi or add manually

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 am

Unable to scan for My MC PC using Wi-fi or add manually.

Hey guys I have spent at least 4 to 5 hours troubleshooting a port forwarding problem by reading up existing posts on your knowledge base. I am still at a loss and need your help. Networking is not something I usually find this hard to figure out.

My current network config involves the Linksys MyNet N900 Router but have the same problem on Linksys e4200. I followed all the proper direction about enabling internal IP's, setting up port forwarding within the router, enabling port triggering within the router as well as setting up IP information manually on my devices which includes Galaxy s3, iPad, Nexus 7 tablet and none of them are connecting to my media center no matter what method I use.

Last but not least I tried resetting my both routers to factory settings and then also tried the settings on my Time Warner Motorola Cable modem which has built in wireless and still no luck. Neither of the routers allow me to connect to the PC via the app, however I am able to share and stream Windows media center just fine to my xbox extenders. Hoping you guys can help me figure this one out even though the firewall is disabled.

I finally tried changing ports in My Media Center app and also uninstalled my firewall software to make double sure. Something obvious is getting overlooked and I have no idea what it is. i should mention that this MC PC is operating on a Wireless connection using a Netgear N600.

Thanks

Andre
Attachments
4-24-2013 10-53-18 AM.jpg
port forwarding not working with ports enabled

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 am

There's no point wasting your time on PortForwarding if you can't access the system on your LAN.

What response do you get in a browser on one of your tablets if you try to access http://192.168.1.114:5832

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks for quick response.. I get an interesting xml error.. The CDataService service is running though

<error xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/0 ... s/metadata">
<code/>
<message xml:lang="en-US">Nothing to see here ... move along... move along</message>
</error>

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:58 am

That's the response you should get - it means that that device is talking to the MyMC service on your PC, the browser just doesn't know the secret handshake.

The app on that device should also be able to talk to the PC on 192.168.1.114 - you've just verified that there's no networking problem.

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:16 am

Ok great.. but how does that explain not being able to run the app or find the PC manually on any of the devices mentioned above. I did some more reading since your last request and saw some topics related to invalid date or time zone stamps causing this issue but mine is all good across all devices. Still at a dead end here.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am

If the time zone (very important) and time on the device doesn't match, you'll get an error message - you implied that you're not getting any response at all.

I have no idea why you can get a response in your browser, and not in the app.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am

foxwood wrote:If the time zone (very important) and time on the device doesn't match the time zon edd and time on the PC, you'll get an error message - you implied that you're not getting any response at all.

I have no idea why you can get a response in your browser, and not in the app.

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Yes, I agree. Hence I decided to post this topic to the forum because it has taken up a lot of time on my end to figure out. All week now basically. My time zones as mentioned are all set to the same zone and time across all devices so yes should work. For now I am just trying to get the Windows * Metro app working seeing that, this computer is on ethernet connection. I would assume that if I can get the Win8 app working here it would resolve connection issues on mobile devices as well.

What's interesting to me is that this used to work perfectly fine on my first installation. I then had a problem with cable card activation and had Time Warner at my house to switch out three different cable cards before the 4th one finally activated properly. Apparently they break easy and by the way he was throwing them around I was not surprised ;) during the process I had to uninstall the Infini TV card drivers, reset network settings etc. Luckily none of this affected by media center installation and everything within the MC PC itself is still working perfectly fine. I'm only sharing this as I'm not sure if this could have somehow corrupted or affected the service running the My Media Center Ceton software. That said I did reinstall my Ceton My Media Center already and obviously did not help.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:10 pm

If you edit the connection on one of the tablets, what address is it set to connect to?

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:26 pm

Ok .. so I was able to now add a connection manually and connect on Droid Nexus 7. That did not work earlier in the week so perhaps new router having success. I tested this before with old Linksys e4200 router and did not have luck. .So very GOOD news on that level. Thanks!

However exact same settings entered does not work on Win8 metro App. Strange. I triple checked to make sure settings are Identical.. ON a side note is the pc name field case sensitive ?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Is the metro Win8 app on the same PC as the My Media Center services?

Very odd about router. If you go to the http://ip:5832 on your nexus device you should see that message which is how you know we can communicate. However this does not mean that the security protocals pass. You need to ensure date, time, time zone, and passwords set are correct.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:16 pm

andrecook wrote:However exact same settings entered does not work on Win8 metro App.
Are you running Windows Media Center on Windows 8, and trying to use the metro app on the same machine?

The Metro App can't "loop back" - it can't talk to the MyMC service on the same machine as the client. For the Metro App, your server has to be on a different Win8 box, or a Win7 box.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:22 pm

foxwood wrote:
andrecook wrote:However exact same settings entered does not work on Win8 metro App.
Are you running Windows Media Center on Windows 8, and trying to use the metro app on the same machine?

The Metro App can't "loop back" - it can't talk to the MyMC service on the same machine as the client. For the Metro App, your server has to be on a different Win8 box, or a Win7 box.

Actually we fixed this. You can loopback now. The latest services allows this and there is also a tool: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =64&t=4352
I Write, Code, and Tweet

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:23 pm

No. Good question, but I'm running MCE on a Windows 7 system in another room connected to HD TV. My Desktop Workstation is a standalone Win 8 64bit system on the same LAN connected to same router.

andrecook

Post by andrecook » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 am

Ok Got it all working now.. No idea why it started working. But all apps are recognizing MC PC. WiFi Scan still not working but manual entry works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

scyto

Post by scyto » Tue May 14, 2013 1:49 am

andrecook wrote:Ok Got it all working now.. No idea why it started working. But all apps are recognizing MC PC. WiFi Scan still not working but manual entry works fine. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I have never had wifi scan work for the metro app on ANY PC.