Aereo WMC Plugin - NYC Metro Area and Expanding Soon!

toshfive

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by toshfive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:06 pm

unfortunately where I live (Los Angeles) OTA reception just doesn't work and now that Time Warner may start encrypting basic QAM, Aereo, if and when available in my area, just might be a viable solution.

My first choice, since already using Fios for internet, as I understand Verizon have no current plans of encrypting QAM basic service.

its a waiting game... Only reason I haven't switched already was due to receiving HBO, AMC and a few others that were unencrypted for yrs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

First, you should wait for the Supreme Court to rule on the Aereo case before you do anything with Aereo, even if it is available your area.

Second, can you share your ZIP code? It's hard to believe that you can't receive OTA signals in Los Angeles.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Just for kicks and giggles, I picked the address of a McDonald's in Santa Clarita (about 25 miles NW of LA). Here's the TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... c0e608bceb

It shows that an outdoor antenna should be able to pickup ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, CW, MyNet, Telemundo, Univision, Azteca America, four independents, three PBS, and two low-power stations (KUHD-LP, and KSFV-LP).

toshfive

Post by toshfive » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:08 pm

nestled @ base of the San Gabriel Mountains.
First, you should wait for the Supreme Court to rule on the Aereo case before you do anything with Aereo, even if it is available your area.
Of course...

All else fails I'll dump my HDHR3's & make the switch to cable-card.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:38 pm

toshfive wrote:nestled @ base of the San Gabriel Mountains.
That's not real helpful. Got a ZIP? Or, even better... go to www.tvfool.com. Click on the TV Signal Locator link on the left side of the homepage. Enter your exact address. Tell it how high off the ground your antenna will be mounted (typically 20 feet, but could be higher if you live in a building taller than a single-story house). Post the link to your TV fool report here. It will hide your exact location, but will show information about your signals.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:06 pm

This thread has turned into the merits or Aereo but if anyone addressed the specific question in the OP I missed it, so I will give it a shot:
BabyfaceNJ wrote:Hello,
Aereo is available in my area.
I am wondering, does anybody knows of a WMC plugin for Aereo or if one is being developed for Aereo?

http://blog.aereo.com/2013/01/1716/
http://blog.aereo.com/2013/04/aereo-prevails-part-ii/
There is no plugin developed, and given that there is a lack of plugins for so many other IPTV services I doubt it will happen any time soon. If Aereo wins it's case in the Supreme Court then I would expect to see plugins for XBMC and Plex, and public channels on Roku (Roku already has a private Aereo channel), before we see plugins on WMC. Someone may cobble something together.

It's a shame that Microsoft doesn't have good support for plugin development. Anyone with a little knowhow can put together a Roku channel that installs and acts just like every other Roku channel, heck with services like Plex you can have channels inside of channels.