Audio problems with Media Center on Windows 8

scottfactor

HTPC Specs: Show details

Audio problems with Media Center on Windows 8

Post by scottfactor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Has anyone experienced audio problems with media center on windows 8 where the audio will just stop in the middle of a recorded tv show? I have been recording many tv shows and for the most part the recordings are fine. But, during certain commercial transitions, the audio will just stop and all I get is the video without any sound. Please comment if anyone has seen this or knows how to solve this problem. thanks.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:34 pm

My guess is this has to do with Dolby Digital bitstreaming, the audio changing from DD to PCM, and either your receiving device or audio drivers not handling it properly.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

scottfactor

Post by scottfactor » Wed May 01, 2013 3:28 pm

thanks erkotz. I suspect you are right based on all my investigative reading on the web. however, I still have no idea what the solution is. I can't imagine that my TV is the culprit here as the "receiving device" because audio works just fine on all cable channels when watching normal TV, without going through the media center pc. So, I agree it must have something to do with audio drivers. But I updated all drivers and I'm still having this problem. I just want to know if this is a bug in Media Center or not and/or if there is some update I need to make somewhere to get this to work. I am very disappointed right now with Microsoft because I spent an extra $70 to update my windows 8 O/S to give me the "pro" version that allowed me to use media center. If I can't fix this problem, that $70 has just been thrown out the window, not to mention I don't have DVR functionality anymore. It used to work just fine on my old Windows 7 PC with an internal TV tuner.