Remote Controls - Likes and Dislikes

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Controls - Likes and Dislikes

Post by Paul Anderegg » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:58 pm

I remember when I was shopping for a Media Center remote to use with my new Ceton cards......everything available had some feature or lack of feature that made them unappealing. I ended up with a cheap USB VRC-1100 "Vista MCE Remote Control" from some Chinese maker....PRO's? It has a mouse "pad" and buttons, VERY HANDY.....but the numbered keypad is black letters on dark grey buttons....USELESS, cannot see what I am pressing. Fortunately, I never use numbers, so I am good in that respect.

When picking a remote, I think it is important to know beforehand what specific features you require, and will you every five minutes, and base your purchase on that. With that being said, would anyone like to critic their remote, point out any obvious deficiencies, or spectacular things about it they ended up not being able to live without?

Paul

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:27 pm

I started with a Rosewill WMC7 remote w/IR receiver & this worked quite well but was a bit narrow which made the buttons too close for my comfort.

I then got an RCA RCRP05B universal remote on sale for $8. This has a device code for WMC which made it handy from the beginning. I could also lock the volume control of the HTPC to the AVR. And it allows for macros so I programmed a couple to turn CC on & off for those times when I can’t understand some dialog. I also did the volume & CC for my satellite DVR. I’m not fond of the button layout but have got used to it.

I use a Logitech K400 IR wireless keyboard for for maintenance, updates, etc.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Mike88 wrote:I then got an RCA RCRP05B universal remote on sale for $8. This has a device code for WMC which made it handy from the beginning. I could also lock the volume control of the HTPC to the AVR. And it allows for macros so I programmed a couple to turn CC on & off for those times when I can’t understand some dialog. I also did the volume & CC for my satellite DVR. I’m not fond of the button layout but have got used to it.
The RCRP05B is a good remote in its own right, but I use it for its JP1 programmability to load discrete codes for various devices into it via computer, and I then use it to teach my Sony RM-VL610. This way, I can get codes not on specific device remotes into my RM-VL610. The RCR has to be the best thing to come out of RCA in decades. :lol:

For the remote I personally use day in, day out, it needs to be operable totally by feel, which means no screen and a layout with different size keys arranged at least somewhat logically, so the various control groups can easily be located without looking. It should have the transport controls, arrow pad, channel and volume in the bottom half of the remote, as they are the most frequently used, and I think the balance is better that way. It needs flawless learning of every button for every device it supports, and it needs to have lots of buttons. Macro capability to create Harmony-style activities is essential, and it's good if long-pressing the device selection buttons can fire them. A set of "system control" buttons that apply to every device is very handy; I use my Sony's 4 to switch between Dolby and THX Movie and Music modes on my AVR. Of course it supports volume-locking to an AVR (and freeing for specific devices) like Mike88 mentioned.

As for my favorite remote of all time, the Sony RM-VL610, which embodies all those things, it was kind of a one-off for Sony in terms of design. It has a simple cylindrical back with interchangeable covers having different colors, and it's designed to be laid face down to show off the back. It looks really cool on a table with the creamy white glossy back being all you see, featureless except for the Sony logo. It has none of the Harmony "ergonomics" and bulkiness, and it feels so much better in the hand than the Harmony 880 I once had and the newer models I've seen in stores, not to mention other remotes having various angles and edges in their construction. Here's a good review with pics that remote control nerds might enjoy:

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/so ... index.html

I bought three for about $25 each when they were still being made. As for critiquing it, well let me think. The button labels don't magically change to reflect their assignments. For some non-essential but still useful functions, the button labels don't always match what I assign to them, but I do keep them as consistent as possible across devices.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 pm

I use an antec veris elite vacuum floresent display with the included remote.
It has a built in remote reciever and the unit mounts in a 5.25 bay in the front of the computer.
It runs with the soundgraph software and has a lot of functionallity.
It can be switched from remote to mouse mode with a button on the remote.
It also has an application laucher button that I use for XBMC and hulu desktop.
It connects to the computers power header and can start the computer from complete
shutdown if you don't want to use stand by.
It also has a timer that can be used to turn the computer on.
This is just a computer setup and not a universal remote though.
Only thing I don't like is it sometimes goes to sleep and i have to hit a button twice to wake it up.
You can also set custom shortcut mappings to the remote in the soundgraph software.

Adidas4275

Post by Adidas4275 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:19 am

i had the OEM MS remote that has the programable TV power button and volume buttons and for a basic remote that was the best...

But since my HTPC and AV gear are in a closet not in the same room as my Projector and Screen I needed something RF.

I bought my first Logitech 890 about 3 years ago and I now own 3 and only one had any issues and that was due to the wife throwing it! :oops:

They are great IR remote but I use them solely on RF and for that there is nothing better, even the new harmony remotes just dont have the same feel and as many hard buttons.

the 890 can be found for fairly cheap on ebay now

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 am

I dislike all MCE remotes because most can't control a TV and none can do macros. Universal remotes are far more functional. Besides the RCA mentioned already, other UEI and JP1 remotes are excellent, including the Xsight 12G and the RF Xsight 18G. They are far more programmable than Harmony, and UEI isn't about to quit the remote business in a few months like Logitech.