ATI DCT - USB - Use w/o a card?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
mattiedread

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATI DCT - USB - Use w/o a card?

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I have two of these collecting dust. I just returned the S cable cards to CableVision as I've been using a Ceton PCIe for a year now. I have to send the Ceton card back for a memory replacement and I tried getting one of the ATI to work without a card. It ran through the set up fine, but, can't tune any channel (static when attempting to tune 2, 4, 5, 7 etc.).

I vaguely recall when I first used the ATI's I had a bad card and couldn't tune HDCP channels on that tuner until the card was replaced. However, I thought I was able to record network HD + 1 premium channel during this time... it was summer 08 and perhaps my recollections are incorrect.

Does anyone know if you can use the ATI w/o a cable card? Also, when I installed this (and removed the cable from my Ceton for the test) I had to re-set up my Ceton card after the ATI test 'failed'.

Thanks,
mattie

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 pm

The ATI has an analog turner built in and it will tune analog (if any) without the cable card but, that's all it can do without a cable card. You could try installing the cable card you used in the Ceton that might help pickup additional channels.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

Tracer wrote:The ATI has an analog tuner built in and it will tune analog (if any) without the cable card but, that's all it can do without a cable card.
The ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner can be used without a CableCard as a ClearQAM tuner.

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/pctv/tv- ... ments.aspx
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mattiedread

Post by mattiedread » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks - I'll probably be giving it a try.... I'm currently in tuner hell. My Ceton is going back today (they agreed to take it back because when I was posting to troubleshoot it was under warranty - so, they RMA'd me... that's good). I ordered a Silicon Dust to hold me over, wanted to give it a try. Set it up and got a UPnP error... I have two routers, one acts as a WAP/GB switch. So, I turned on UPnP, and the set up worked perfectly, all channels etc. A few hours later, no tuners found... turned off/on UPnP on the 'wireless access point' router, and boom, worked fine. Two hours later, tuner not found ... at all, could bring up its web page, saw it on the router (router, the DHCP)... but it appears as if the SD won't work unless the WAP is UPnP on, and, the network crashes if it is on..... hopefully my Ceton will be back soon and I'll try the SD directly to the router.

When all this fails, I'll go back to the ATI DCT's.