High quality movies stutter when streaming

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Shyatic

HTPC Specs: Show details

High quality movies stutter when streaming

Post by Shyatic » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:47 pm

So I have a Windows 7 media center with a pretty powerful box behind it, and 24GB of RAM on it (it's used for other things! hehe)

I can play HD movies on the box without any issue, but since this box is in my basement, the whole house is on a "headless" setup for watching TV and movies.

I recently got a BluRay player for the PC and I rip them all at high quality (so I get the 5.1 DTS etc) and the files are like 10-15GB. Space isn't an issue however, and the hard drive is a 7200 RPM 2TB drive.

On the extender (this is an Xbox Slim), the movies stutter during playback. I have a gigabit network switch (Asus Black Diamond) as well as a Dell PowerConnect gigabit switch (small office 24 port) so I can't really expect it to be an issue of bandwith.

Any ideas? I'm getting pretty annoyed at the whole situation since I'd like to watch the full quality movies but I've been having to re-rip them in handbrake to a lower quality for them to play.

Thanks for any ideas!

Tracer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Tracer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:42 pm

The extender can't handle the high video bit rate that BluRays have, I think the limit is around 15mbs to 18mbs max an extender can handle. Most bluray discs are around 30mbs, you will need to convert the video to a lower bit rate to play on an extender.