DMA2100 pause/unpause videos stops playing

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
elhuevon

HTPC Specs: Show details

DMA2100 pause/unpause videos stops playing

Post by elhuevon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:56 am

Now that Comkast has killed analog I've had to switch to digital. So I have a DMA2100 extender wired to an HP 7800cmt (core2duo, NVIDIA geforce 8400 gs, hauppauge 2250 tuner, Windows 7 prof.).
I have a large collection of avi and mp4 files that during playback if I hit pause wait 5 minutes then unpause, the show acts like you stopped it. When you hit play it starts from the beginning. And more often than not the skip ahead feature is slow like 30 seconds to start playback each time you skip ahead.

What would cause this? I ran Xp media center and a V1 linksys extender for 5 years that did not have this problem (thanks transcode 360 :D ).

Is this a common problem with this unit? Is it a codec issue? As it stands I dont have any codec packs loaded. Can I tell the MCE to use transcode 360 by default?
The WAF is dropping daily because she can't pause her "stories" while making the kids lunch.

thanks

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:11 am

Just an update. The problem files seem to be AVC encoded mp4. Mediainfo says that quicktime is the default player for this codec/file. Do I need quicktime installed?

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:19 am

another update. I installed quicktime. It made a small improvement. I can skip ahead at a reasonable pace. As for the pausing noticed this.
When you play a video and hit pause the the time indicator shows that its at the end of the video (probably due to the buffering). If you skip back just after you start, the time indicator will go back to the left where it should be and pausing will work as needed.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:32 am

All the issues you have described, I also have experienced & at which, I made the switch over to XB360's, as I ended up giving my parents my 2 Linksys extenders when I converted them over to WMC. Overall I've concluded these work great as a WMC extender for native WMC video, but not converted video.

I was never able to figure out why a video would restart after being paused for 5 minutes or longer. However I was able to figure out the issue of the timeline being at the end of the video when you start playing. If you start a video, press pause right away & leave it paused for about 5 to 10 seconds, then unpause. The video time line should be at a more accurate (like towards the beginning) spot on the video.

elhuevon wrote:Now that Comkast has killed analog I've had to switch to digital. So I have a DMA2100 extender wired to an HP 7800cmt (core2duo, NVIDIA geforce 8400 gs, hauppauge 2250 tuner, Windows 7 prof.).
I have a large collection of avi and mp4 files that during playback if I hit pause wait 5 minutes then unpause, the show acts like you stopped it. When you hit play it starts from the beginning. And more often than not the skip ahead feature is slow like 30 seconds to start playback each time you skip ahead.

What would cause this? I ran Xp media center and a V1 linksys extender for 5 years that did not have this problem (thanks transcode 360 :D ).

Is this a common problem with this unit? Is it a codec issue? As it stands I dont have any codec packs loaded. Can I tell the MCE to use transcode 360 by default?
The WAF is dropping daily because she can't pause her "stories" while making the kids lunch.

thanks

elhuevon

Post by elhuevon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:26 pm

I discovered the same thing by accident. thanks for the reply.