Recipes for Windows Media Center

Mogulbasher

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Mogulbasher » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am

Close yes... I still need to do some housekeeping so that the application does not crash when there is an issue and add some wait cursors and other user stuff. I also need to figure out why the install application does not install the database with the right permissions.

Completed So Far:
Add Ingredients
Add Measurements
Add Recipes
Add Images
Edit all the above
Upload to Central Server
Download from Central Server
Select local database or select database on another computer (to edit Media Center machine db)

To Do

Resolve database permissions
Add a tag to let the user know which database he is editing
Finish creating install programs
Resolve a few issues around the remote server.
Develop Context Sensitive Help
Last edited by Mogulbasher on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:50 am

This is just obscenely good!!!!
Rich

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:58 am

Permissions- the bane of my existence.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm

makryger wrote:Permissions- the bane of my existence.
We had a Mac Server at work and everyone in the studio kept getting locked out of each others files. It's so frustrating, just share everything! End up binning the server.

Maybe permission are good for large corporations but should be off as default.

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 am

I have decided to add a video recipe section

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Quick update... Videos section is complete in the windows app. Videos are categorized by chef and I have added a class to create the media center thumbnail directly from the video.

I have Also added videos to the media center app

Now I am just flapping in he WIX wind....

A

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:54 am

Another brief Update

I have finally managed to get the WIX 3.5 installer for the media center app to install the files with the correct permissions and the installer also adds a share to the folder with the database file to allow for remote access from say a laptop or other computer in the house so recipes can be managed on a different machine to the MC PC.

I have also managed to add a pre configuration loader to the Database app that asks the user if they want to use it to manage a Media Center Database or a local database and that is working.

Videos play on the media center app and are categorized by Chef.
Most of the help is done
The application title is bound to the data connection so it shows whether you are using the app to edit the MC DB or a Local DB
Added a Backup database function

Still have to do the upload and download for the Videos and I also have to add videos into the search strings..

A

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:32 am

Are we there yet? :lol:

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:42 am

Yeah but aaarrrree we there yet? No, are we tho??? Hurry up already!! ;) :D
Rich

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Hehehehe...

Got the Video uploads almost sorted today... Just trying to figure out the php settings on the server to allow video file uploads..

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Ok got a lot done today...

Finished upload and download of videos, and added a nice progress bar to show upload and download progress of the video files.
Finished the WMC installer so it creates the right share for the database and videos.
Finished adding a checkbox on the download pages which when selected will remove all downloads that you have in your local DB already, thus just showing recipes and videos that you do not have yet.
Added a script that runs the first time you run the windows app asking you if you want to use the program to manage a local DB or a remote WMC database.

To Do: (Still)

Add Context Sensitive help for the Video and Download Video pages
Figure out what I am going to do about bandwidth issues..

On the subject of Bandwidth issues... I am trying to figure out the best way to deal with this. I am going to release the application and WMC application free. However, the upload and download of videos and other stuff to the central server racks up some serious bandwidth, especially if this application proves to be remotely popular. If its only 5-10 people it is not a problem but if its hundreds then it gets more problematic, and if its thousands then...... I currently have 10 WMV videos uploaded on the server each at about 40M. So if 50 people download all of them each month it amounts to 20Gig a month plus the dedicated server costs. On the other hand if it is very popular there may end up being some value put into the actual database itself, which got me wondering whether there should be an upload to download ratio put in place. eg, for each recipe you upload you can download one. But the problem with that is you can end up with some real junk on the server that then needs to be moderated on a regular basis. Should there be a fee for 12 months download access? It can be very small, not looking to make money just cover costs...

So for the beta I am probably going to put something in the app to timebomb the downloads after a couple of months so I can at least know that if it gets out of hand there is an end while at the same time leaving the uploads open while an alternative solution is developed. Initially all the recipes on the server will be in the app, but only one of the videos will be in the app since I dont want the install file to be 400M.

Any thoughts, advice, brainstorms you guys have really welcome here. Shooting for a release just after labor day. Andrew

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:42 am

I would steer clear of the upload/download ratio idea. That works great in scenarios where you are trying to encourage people to provide access to data (such as with a peer-to-peer application), but I don't think that would be a good idea with this application. Your goal is to cover the cost of transferring and storing the data, and I think the only way to do that is to go with either a subscription model or a pay-per-download model. I think the only way a subscription model will work is if you have a very large library for members to download from. I don't know if it will work with a small library. Without a huge library, the cost-to-benefit ratio just isn't there for the end user (unless of course it's some very small amount...I think Apple is proof that people will pay small amounts of money for just about anything.) Maybe consider a pay-per-download model? I'm not sure how well that would work.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 pm

richard1980 wrote:I would steer clear of the upload/download ratio idea. Your goal is to cover the cost of transferring and storing the data, and I think the only way to do that is to go with either a subscription model or a pay-per-download model.
I agree. Also, with the ratio system, how would you regulate the quality of uploaded recipes? For example, what's preventing someone from uploading a recipe for gruel and then downloading a recipe for a gourmet dish?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:36 pm

obviously you've never tried gourmet gruel.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:33 pm

It exists...

Smells like a bag of assholes though lol.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Ok, here is what I ended up doing. I just got it completed today and it has taken some time..

I have established a payment system on a web site that will in the futrure allow me to utilise different options should the cost become something I need to cover. I have then built into the app a username and password that is requested on first run. This registers the user with the web server and creates an initial product that is a lifetime registration. This way if I need to I can just require a new product if necessary.

So for the beta it will just be free and I can get an idea of the usage. If after the beta period I need to change it everything is already built into the app to make it easy to implement.

Should be good for a release in a couple of days. I just have to clean some stuff up...and write a little read me for installation guidance and add one page of context sensitive help and we are done....for the beta... Hopefully will get some good feedback and can improve it some more.

A

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:48 pm

ok, here we go... Word of caution this is a beta release.... I am sure you will all identify some bugs....

http://www.talfourdjones.com/recipes/Re ... ryBeta.zip

There is a brief set of installation instructions. Every page has context sensitive help using F1 Also please bear in mind that I have not included the videos into the release version as they are 300Meg total. I have however left the videos in the DB. If you want the video you can get it by deleting it from your database and then downloading it from the server.

Please let me know your feedback... Andrew

CogZog

Post by CogZog » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:47 pm

Not working for me! I have tried all ways to get it to run icluding installing to MC7, not installing to MC7, running DB from MC and running from local DB only etc.

Whenever I try to do anything in the main program window it crashes and gives the following info:

WpfRecipes has stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: wpfrecipes.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4e679948
Problem Signature 04: System.Data.Linq
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1e3c9
Problem Signature 07: c81
Problem Signature 08: 69
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

At least the program starts within Windows itself, If I try to run the program from withing MC7 I get "The MyRecipes program has stopped responding and you will be returned to Windows Media Center"

I'm sorry the first post is bad news on my part! Oh, almost forgot. Where I tried to remove and reinstall several times, I had to register a different username each time because there is no function to log in with an already registered username?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I am running x64 Windows 7.
Some times I wake up sleepy, other times I let her sleep!

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:50 am

Andrew,

Great app! Installed perfectly on my x64 Windows 7 box (must remember not to run setup first). Downloaded all available video's, really nice feature. WAF very high. Nice interface. Don't know how WMC Recipes are sorted, but it might be nice to have an option to see main menu first 3 sorted by date or alpha. Favorites is a nice feature also. Might also be nice to be able to scroll right on the main screen in addition to opening up the entire multi-level list using the left hand menu. Also, can a video be directly linked to a recipe? I have not used this much, so these are only first impressions.

This is a keeper. Can't wait to download (and upload) more recipes.
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

Mogulbasher

Post by Mogulbasher » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 am

cog, if it is crashing please make sure that the database file which is either your media center db or the db on the local machine in programData\Talfourdjones\myrecipes has full access granted to all users. Looking at the error that should fix it. The other possibility and I have not checked this is that you left the username and password blank and it is crashing on that. Not sure without knowing.. A

Danno, the initial display just picks 3 random recipes so there is no scroll to the right it is basically there as a menu item to select. It would be relatively easy to link videos to recipes but then it would have to be done for all. Here is what I suggest. Give the video a similar name to the recipe and then search by that name it will bring up the recipe and the video in the search return and then you can flip between the two. A