Media Center versions

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
GBurnette

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center versions

Post by GBurnette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am

I'm thinking of setting up a virtual media center and configuring my xbox 360 to connect to this vm as an extender. I have windows 7, but I also have an old version of XP MCE also. I was thinking to use XP MCE since I'm assuming it uses less resources. The only thing I didn't know is if I would be missing anything on the extender or if the functionality would be the same? I don't record TV, I just use the extender to view mp4 files on the television.

Thanks

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:08 am

XP used different extenders than Vista/7/8. I don't even know if the old extenders for XP were even capable of playing HD video.

I've never used anything but Win7 Media Center, but from what I've read, there are many advantages to using Win7 vs. XP or Vista.

What kind of PC are you planning to use (CPU, RAM, HDD)?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 am

Why do you think that running an XP VM would be less resource intensive than just running Windows Media Center which is already there in Windows 7?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:22 am

GBurnette wrote:I'm thinking of setting up a virtual media center and configuring my xbox 360 to connect to this vm as an extender. I have windows 7, but I also have an old version of XP MCE also. I was thinking to use XP MCE since I'm assuming it uses less resources. The only thing I didn't know is if I would be missing anything on the extender or if the functionality would be the same? I don't record TV, I just use the extender to view mp4 files on the television.

Thanks
I would say two things.

First, if you're going to use WMC and an extender, don't use XP MCE.

Second, if you only use MP4 files, just buy a $60 Roku and skip the WMC and extender.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:01 am

XP MCE2005 is perfectly capable of driving an Xbox 360 as an extender showing HD content, as long as you install Update Rollup 2. The Xbox 360 is the only extender that's covered the whole range of Media Centre versions from MCE2005 through to Win8.

However... MCE2005 doesn't have the support for non-mpeg2 content that you'd need to view mp4 files through an extender. If you already have an Xbox that you're going to reuse then you can use WMP11 as a server on XP, and the 360 will stream mp4 files from that - I used to do this. But if you're looking to buy an Xbox for this job, then LuckyDay has a point in that a different device would probably serve you better, and save you money.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

GBurnette

Post by GBurnette » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 am

Thanks for the replies and advice. I have a vm with Windows 7 running now and the quick test I did it seemed to stream and play just fine. It was only a short 5 minute or less test though. I am considering getting a Roku 3 or maybe a WD Live play for streaming to some of the other TV's in the house. I've just always liked the Media Center interface.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't think MCE supports CableCard, while WMC does.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm

XP MCE doesn't support Cablecard, that first came with VMC. But the OP said they don't record TV, so it's not relevent here.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft