Cannot connect xbox to PC; network sharing

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
brantmacga

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot connect xbox to PC; network sharing

Post by brantmacga » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Long story short, had to move out, took htpc and one xbox with me.

Place I'm staying in (got my RV setup at a local park) has wireless internet. Had everything working fine, and now it won't work.

Setup is as follows; wireless dongle at htpc connected to wifi, htpc nic connected to router, xbox 360 wired to router.

Wireless dongle has sharing turned on so xbox can connect to XBL. Xbox will connect to the pc, because I can stream movies through xbox video player. But media center no longer works; says it can't see the media center computer.

I had a lot of problems with ip address errors when I was setting this up originally; just kept screwing with it until it worked.

Any ideas?

Router is linksys wrtg54l with tomato firmware.

Thanks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:33 pm

Try leaving the router out entirely, and plugging the xbox directly to the PC (though you may need a crossover cable).

Alternatively, you should be able to configure Tomato as a wireless bridge, and then plug both the PC and Xbox into the LAN ports on the router - that's probably your best bet, if you can get it working.

brantmacga

Post by brantmacga » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:47 am

thanks foxwood.

i actually tried a crossover cable first, but could not get the IP addresses configured properly. i went by the directions on MS website and couldn't make it work. decided to go with the wireless router attached anyway so i could use the xbox smartglass app on my WP7.

i had the router configured properly and everything worked, and then it just stopped working. the xbox sees that its on the network, and it can stream media from the PC, but for some reason it just won't see WMC.