State of the Echo #3

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
warpster

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by warpster » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:02 pm

dabretty wrote:The discussions are often ridiculous, yes, but I also do not see the purpose of locking it. To save the Internet 20kB a day? To save the mods a few minutes a day? It's an online forum for crying out loud, not an abandoned house next to an elementary school.

Also, I think it's a good thing to have a place for Ceton to see customer frustration. We all know they are reading this, and are probably embarrassed (as they should be). Maybe it's one more motivator for them.
+1

There is no reason to lock it in my opinion, this is the last place left to go to see if anything has changed....bitching aside, people need a place to vent etc. and Ceton needs to be aware of the discontent! What would I do with the 5 minutes a day I spend in it if it were gone?

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Here at TGB it is of course acceptable that there are discontent posts, but in this thread many, many times, posts cross the line and are edited / removed.
If you all kept above the belt, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:16 pm

I'll stop commenting here now, I've said my bit, probably too much :)

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:24 pm

STC wrote:I was looking into that some time ago. We will re-investigate and see if it's possible on pbpBB without gigantic hacks.
Thanks, I figured it might be non-trivial so have been hesitant to ask. I still appreciate your adding the "Mark Read" button to the page. Lots of forums continue to omit it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I have not put in my opinion yet on closing this thread and I really like to put in my opinion even if I get flamed. I say leave it open as nothing has been harmed by it being open.

CBO

Post by CBO » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Will locking this hurt spreading the news if and when the update arrives? If so then I have to change my vote to keeping it open in the spirit of getting the word out to all those who subscribed.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:05 pm

CBO wrote:Will locking this hurt spreading the news if and when the update arrives? If so then I have to change my vote to keeping it open in the spirit of getting the word out to all those who subscribed.
I would assume that Motz would start a new State of the Echo thread for that.

Haba

Post by Haba » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:06 pm

I also agree you should keep the thread open. Since there is no new news on the Echo, while they are waiting there is quite a collection of WMC users with in-depth knowledge that can ask each other off topic general questions about WMC to help out anyone who needs help if so desired. Where it all goes wrong is with the flat out crazy, emotional debates about some meaningless point. I am quite certain a part of this is due to the fact that there are so many frustrated Echo owners who take out their frustrations in these "debates", it's quite understandable. Since the GreenButton has teamed up with Ceton for the forum, perhaps the GreenButton mods could contact Ceton to get them on here to start a dialog of what is truthfully going on.
Last edited by Haba on Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:14 pm

My $0.02:
  • It's Ceton's thread, let them make the decision to keep the thread open or lock it.
  • If the goal is to have a single thread that only contains actual news, Ceton should create a single "News" thread and keep it locked at all times. Post news/updates to that thread. Discussion should take place in a separate thread.
  • People are upset. They want to vent. Let them vent in the discussion thread.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
CBO wrote:Will locking this hurt spreading the news if and when the update arrives? If so then I have to change my vote to keeping it open in the spirit of getting the word out to all those who subscribed.
I would assume that Motz would start a new State of the Echo thread for that.
+1 for that. I never considered this thread for the place to find news about the Echo, just everyone's opinion on why there is no news about the Echo. I am sure there will be a State of the Echo #4 thread or Android for Echo released thread when and if the time comes. Change my vote to"no lock" and I will go back and self-edit all the class-action argument, if that helps.

nfn06010

Post by nfn06010 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:51 pm

How about a State of the Echo #4 and when motz starts it off we will all know something is happening.
2-PCIe CETON 4's

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 pm

nfn06010 wrote:How about a State of the Echo #4 and when motz starts it off we will all know something is happening.
I like your idea here. I also like the idea of just releasing a firmware update. Both ways that Ceton can cause this thread (and a lot of customer frustration contained within) to go away.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm

dabretty wrote:I like your idea here. I also like the idea of just releasing a firmware update. Both ways that Ceton can cause this thread (and a lot of customer frustration contained within) to go away.
maybe even a re-versioning of the 304 to 901? :shock: :lol:

wanabefree

Post by wanabefree » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Well if you have not noticed by now all of our fears have come true. The Echo will never have android and as far as I can tell is all it will ever be. Sucks to me !

SEE Motz latest post

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:54 pm

Well, I may as well lock this and we'll all move on to the post Ceton made today.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=5861

By the way, it needs to be said that any discussions on this thread about closing it recently were completely and purely coincidental.