IR USB Extender Recommendations

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pluto30306

HTPC Specs: Show details

IR USB Extender Recommendations

Post by pluto30306 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 pm

Can anyone recommend a IR USB Extender for the Echo? The Website say it can, but lacks any detail on which ones.

JAS

Post by JAS » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:41 am

I had an old Pinnacle unit from my previous setup that seemed to work on the echo. Just make sure you are using either internal echo or external IR and not both at the same time. You won't like the results if you simutaneous remote both. ;)

I think this is the one. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... pNo=474886

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Any official WMC IR receiver should work with Echo
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:12 pm

erkotz wrote:Any official WMC IR receiver should work with Echo
Does the USB port disable the internal IR receiver and can it be split for use of a keyboard RF receiver for using a keyboard when/if browser support comes.

drtdiver

Post by drtdiver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Sammy2 wrote:
Does the USB port disable the internal IR receiver and can it be split for use of a keyboard RF receiver for using a keyboard when/if browser support comes.
Was just gonna ask same question.

JAS

Post by JAS » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 am

drtdiver wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:
In the Dec stable firmware that came with my Echo originally, it did not. It would take the IR input from both and the results weren't pleasant. I reported on this forum at the time to Ceton. I don't now if they were able to do anything in the beta's to detect and disable or if its on their list of things to do. I haven't used the USB IR extender at all since the internal Echo receiver is fantastic with my Logitech universal remote.

drtdiver

Post by drtdiver » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:58 am

JAS wrote:
drtdiver wrote:
Sammy2 wrote: Does the USB port disable the internal IR receiver and can it be split for use of a keyboard RF receiver for using a keyboard when/if browser support comes.
In the Dec stable firmware that came with my Echo originally, it did not. It would take the IR input from both and the results weren't pleasant. I reported on this forum at the time to Ceton. I don't now if they were able to do anything in the beta's to detect and disable or if its on their list of things to do. I haven't used the USB IR extender at all since the internal Echo receiver is fantastic with my Logitech universal remote.
I'm using a harmony one ands its pretty touchy with button presses.

hmmurdock

Post by hmmurdock » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:07 pm

Just go out and buy a $500 dollar remote. That'll fix all your problems.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:30 pm

My wife is getting pretty frustrated. I'm using a Harmony 600 for the kitchen where the Echo is now located. It's hooked up to a Sony TV. When she enters the channel number, sometimes the number doesn't show up, or, if she holds down the number key, she'll get the number twice. If I go to the Comcast set up - Sony TV and the mini Comcast STB, this doesn't happen. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the Echo or the communication back to the HTPC. It doesn't happen on the HTPC using a Harmony One.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:11 am

mldenison wrote:My wife is getting pretty frustrated. I'm using a Harmony 600 for the kitchen where the Echo is now located. It's hooked up to a Sony TV. When she enters the channel number, sometimes the number doesn't show up, or, if she holds down the number key, she'll get the number twice. If I go to the Comcast set up - Sony TV and the mini Comcast STB, this doesn't happen. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the Echo or the communication back to the HTPC. It doesn't happen on the HTPC using a Harmony One.

Um... As I too just found out from another thread... :problem:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=4393 and was also having issues with my Harmony: did you remove the plastic film covering the front of the Echo?
Time is on my side.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:10 am

It's the first thing I did. All the other buttons work fine, just number input.

After checking this afternoon, it's a button press problem. She has small hands and with the buttons at the bottom of the remote, it's hard for her to hold the remote with one hand and also press the buttons. If the buttons were midway on the remote, she'd be in good shape.

pluto30306

Post by pluto30306 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:20 pm

TeddyR wrote:
mldenison wrote:My wife is getting pretty frustrated. I'm using a Harmony 600 for the kitchen where the Echo is now located. It's hooked up to a Sony TV. When she enters the channel number, sometimes the number doesn't show up, or, if she holds down the number key, she'll get the number twice. If I go to the Comcast set up - Sony TV and the mini Comcast STB, this doesn't happen. At this point, I'm not sure if it's the Echo or the communication back to the HTPC. It doesn't happen on the HTPC using a Harmony One.

Um... As I too just found out from another thread... :problem:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=4393 and was also having issues with my Harmony: did you remove the plastic film covering the front of the Echo?
I have the Harmony 300..pretty basic. I programmed the remote to operate as the Xbox Media Center Remote and then just mapped the Green Button to the "Menu" button....all works perfectly...just need to find a USB IR, so I can hind the Echo behind the TV on the wall and just have the USB IR extended doggle show on the front of the TV.

No luck finding an answer or a recommended USB IR extender.