New HTPC build - goodbye TiVo!

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
m2r4miller

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HTPC build - goodbye TiVo!

Post by m2r4miller » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:15 pm

This is my first post to the Green Button Lounge!

Last week I culminated a 2 year build process (buying parts as I could afford them and they went on sale :) )

Anyway, after only a few days my family and I are VERY HAPPY with the WMC 7 system. The PC runs great, the HDHomeRun Prime works flawlessly, and the HD is amazing.

We have been using a Series 2 TiVo since 2001 (bought the lifetime service on the TiVo so we made out like a bandit there :) ), and have been very happy with it, but I wanted HD which that model couldn't do, so I was faced with shelling out several hundred for a new TiVo with a lifetime service or build my own system.

Plus, the TiVo was beginning to "show its age" by requiring a reboot every few weeks, flaking out during recordings, etc. I ended up deciding to build my own HTPC and so far am very glad I did.

In February 2011 I purchased a case and ASUS MB, and have been slowly adding parts since then. At first I was going to buy a Hauppage WinTV, but then realized I wouldn't be able to view copy protected channels, so my build was stalled for about a year. Last summer I discovered the HDHomeRun Prime and started moving forward and purchased the remainder of the parts by mid December.

Once Christmas and New Years passed, I got the system assembled and tested, programmed the remote and introduced the family to the new system. Their collective response was "Wow! This is amazing!"

For anyone considering this, go for it!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:31 pm

Congrats! If you have more than 1 TV, time to add extenders over wired network and have them all share the content. Something TiVO has been promising for years, but have not been able to deliver.

TKEBH964

Post by TKEBH964 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 pm

Your situation sounds similiar to mine. Only I ditched a whole home DVR setup from Direct TV.

We turned off our Direct TV service in August of last year as family cost saving adventure, and were using a HD Homerun and an old Vista laptop as a DVR. I knew the laptop wasn't going to last long so I was buying parts when I could afford them and finally got everything going shortly after new years. You can pick up some good deals if you have time to wait for them.

It is truely a shame that Microsoft didn't market this product better in the beginning. Wife loves WMC and probably knows more about how it works as a DVR than I do at this point. We often find ourselves watching the picture screen saver more than actual TV.

In the past we have had a Dish Network VIP-622, 3 differant Charter Moxi Boxes, and the Direct TV Whole Home solution, all pale in comparison to MC7.

Congratulations on the fruition of your setup.

BiggAW

Post by BiggAW » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:30 am

Good luck I guess. I just built an MCE machine, and after several years of using cable company DVRs, I am figuring out when to buy a Premiere XL4 to replace the brand new MCE box, as I miss a good DVR. Funny part is, at the time with the cable company DVRs didn't seem so bad after an S2 TiVo.