Windows, NVIDIA, & Ceton Driver/Firmware Updates Today

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows, NVIDIA, & Ceton Driver/Firmware Updates Today

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:37 am

Microsoft Windows has multiple updates today, if you regularly update today has a plethora via Windows Update, Check after the initial updates as I had 2 more updates to the updates released today for .NET Framework.

There is a new NVIDIA driver package out today also 280.26 WHQL release for Windows 7
x64 here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvi ... river.html
And x32 here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvi ... river.html
I don't think NVIDIA has updated the database yet so check under BETA and Other Drivers..NOTE that this IS a WHQL release and not a Beta.

Ceton has a new firmware and driver update out today as well Check your Ceton Diagnostic Utility for the updates.

I spent a good portion of my day after work performing updates today, so far so good.
newfiend~

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

bruce73

Post by bruce73 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 am

@newfiend: thx for the heads up. As this would be my first nVidia driver update for my new GT-430, do you normally just update over the old driver or uninstall it then update? With ATI drivers, I would just update over the old and had no problems. But I know purists frown on that. ;)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:32 pm

Just install the new driver over the old one.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:14 pm

When you install the new NVIDIA drivers, durring install there will be a custom option, and then a check box for a clean install, check that and continue. It will then automatically remove all the old drivers and reboot and install all the latest drivers. It seems to work best for me this way. Keep in mind you will have to go back into NVIDIA control panel and reset any adjustments you previously made back like full screen videos etc.. You will also have to open sound in windows control panel and set up your speakers again and also in WMC as it installs a new HD audio driver also.

Last edited by newfiend on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 pm

LOL...so now we've got one vote for each method. I recommended the overwrite method simply because it retains the custom settings. I've never had a problem installing new drivers on top of old drivers, but that's just me.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Not saying your method is wrong..Just the last two driver updates they released didn't quite install correctly. I was missing features in NVIDIA control panel when I used the overwrite method. The full Screen Videos option was no longer available to me and I had to do the custom install/Clean install method to get the option back. Thats why I made the suggestion to do it that way. Hope that explains why I made that suggestion. ;)
newfiend~

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow...that's a bit strange. I wouldn't think overwriting drivers would have that kind of effect, but I've seen stranger things happen.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:27 pm

[lazy ass mode on]

The Ceton driver update details:
Version 1.2.0.8-20110804
◦Fix blue screen in low memory situations
◦Update expired driver certificates

Anyone know what the FW update addresses?

[/off]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 am

Ya I'm not sure why options were missing but the option to set the card to full screen videos was gone, I thought it was a bit strange and thought it might have been just my system maybe..until mmatheny and I had a few phone calls trying to work out his non muting issue. He mentioned the same thing to me about options missing and after reinstalling getting the options back..weird driver install bug I guess? At any rate that's why I suggested the install I did. Not sure if the latest driver installation has the same bug or not as I did a clean install also and all options were in NVIDIA control panel as they are supposed to be.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Also Hauppauge has released a set of Beta drivers for the HDPVR. I installed them this morning and so far it looks good. New features allow you to force 16:9 aspect ratio on 4:3 content.

Maybe the did it to help with the input resolution changes causing the thing to crash? Not sure.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/s ... hdpvr.html