Integrating Media Center parts with Start screen

jhoff80

HTPC Specs: Show details

Integrating Media Center parts with Start screen

Post by jhoff80 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:58 am

So a while ago I started thinking about ways Microsoft could perfect Media Center in Windows 8. My idea was that if they split out the parts of Media Center into individual 'apps' to be pinned on the Start screen, it would be the perfect combination of the best parts of Windows Media Center with new Windows 8 apps that can fill in Media Center's gaps (streaming services, mostly). Clearly, Microsoft didn't listen to me, but I've been stuck on the idea for a while, so it got me thinking about whether this is possible without Microsoft's help. Metro apps don't work that well with a remote anyway, but I do have a small wireless mouse, so that wasn't too much of a concern for me.

Long story short, I discovered that it is entirely possible, and though I've posted about it elsewhere, I thought some people here might be interested in it too.

(current implementation)

Basically, the idea was to make shortcuts using some of Media Center's hidden switches, to access specific parts of the app:

Guide: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /mcesuperbar://guide
Live TV: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /mcesuperbar://tv?live=true

Recorded TV: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /directmedia:tv
Pictures: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /directmedia:pictures
Music: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /directmedia:music

For Media Browser, I wanted to jump directly to the folders I use- one for TV and one for Movies, so I had to use the Entry Points listed in the registry. Those are different for everyone, and are enumerated at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Extensibility\Entry Points . Otherwise, if you just want the main app, it makes the shortcut for you: %windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /entrypoint:{CE32C570-4BEC-4aeb-AD1D-CF47B91DE0B2}\{FC9ABCCC-36CB-47ac-8BAB-03E8EF5F6F22}

The only problem was that some of the shortcuts acted weird when Media Center was already open, so I wanted to have each shortcut kill the ehshell process before opening it again. I started with batch files, and then realized they'd give me command prompts popping up, so I ended up using a program called Hidden Start ( http://www.ntwind.com/software/hstart.html ) that let me give it a few commands in a row without popping up anything.

So, my shortcut for music, as an example, changed to:

C:\hstart64.exe /NOCONSOLE /WAIT "taskkill /F /IM ehshell.exe" "%windir%\ehome\ehshell.exe /nostartupanimation /directmedia:music"

After changing my desktop background to black and auto-hiding the task bar, it makes it feel a whole lot more seamless. I actually had started with only a proof of concept as a second user on my laptop, but I was so pleased with it that I ended up implementing it on my HTPC. (And of course, the Xbox in the other room works perfectly as an extender as it always has). Now, if only we had some more services in the Windows Store (Amazon Instant Video, and HBO GO would be a nice start).

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:50 am

Do you have the neo theme for mediabrowser? That's a good look along the metro style...
There's a couple of threads I started about things like this.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=2132
This one shows how to remap the green button to the start screen... Thought U might find it useful
Lee

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Actually, since I have a Harmony remote, I just mapped the button I had been using for Start to the Ctrl+Esc keyboard shortcut (which is the start command) without having to mess with that on the computer side of things.

As for the theme, I just prefer the way Pearl works. I haven't been able to find a layout in my TV folder for episode listing that I like as much as how Pearl does it, though of course that's a personal thing.

jeepguy04

Post by jeepguy04 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Awesome... the next step is to make the shortcuts look better to blend in better with the rest of the start screen.

I wonder if it would be possible to write a small metro app that all it did was run the hidden start command you have. That way you can make a nice image for each shortcut. Or is there any other way to change what is displayed for desktop app shortcuts?

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm

You know, I hadn't thought about that, but I'll have to give it a try.

I know there's a program on XDA-Developers called OblyTile (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1899865)that lets you create custom tiles to launch shortcuts, so I might end up experimenting with that tonight.

jeepguy04

Post by jeepguy04 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:40 pm

***Edit - looks like you beat me to it and found OblyTile before I did (I never refreshed the thread after searching before I replied). I did create a custom tile with it just to the main media center. Seemed to work well.

After searching a bit I found this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1899865

Its an application that lets you create tiles for desktop applications with your own images. Make those custom entry points look more at home on the start screen.

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:50 am

I've still got a video uploading to Youtube of how it's working, but in the meantime, I've also switched to using OblyTile for the shortcuts:

Edit: Here's the video:
http://youtu.be/N8hFiXIAKZQ

klode784

Post by klode784 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi jhoff80,

This is nice hidden features you discovered! I have been testing Windows 8 for a while as HTPC and noticed the green button doesn't start WMC. But, with the remote the Metro UI works well moving from tile to tile. I might give a try to your finding if you can give more infos on how to proceed for installation.

Thanks,

Claude

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:18 pm

You can just right click properties and change the shortcut image there. I just googled metro .png and found loads.....
Lee

jhoff80

Post by jhoff80 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm

milli260876 wrote:You can just right click properties and change the shortcut image there. I just googled metro .png and found loads.....
If you change the Shortcut image, it shows as a desktop shortcut still. That gives you a box (colored according to the theme colors) with a small icon in the center of it. If you want it to be a full Metro tile, you need something like OblyTile.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:51 pm

man this was really well done indeed. too bad remote support is out. that's a non-starter for our house I'm afraid. but nice video demo!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:27 am

jhoff80 wrote:
milli260876 wrote:You can just right click properties and change the shortcut image there. I just googled metro .png and found loads.....
If you change the Shortcut image, it shows as a desktop shortcut still. That gives you a box (colored according to the theme colors) with a small icon in the center of it. If you want it to be a full Metro tile, you need something like OblyTile.
Ah, nice one. Ssd reinstall soon for me so I might try it!
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:36 am

Another thing mate how did U get headings on your metro??
Lee

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:25 am

milli260876 wrote:Another thing mate how did U get headings on your metro??
On the Start Screen, zoom out to show all the Tiles as miniature thumbnails (click on the "-" icon at the far right of the scroll bar at the bottom).

Then right-click on a Tile group, and you'll get the button to Name the Group...
Geoff Coupe