ABC Not Showing Up In Channel Guide Near Chicago

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Davethreshold

HTPC Specs: Show details

ABC Not Showing Up In Channel Guide Near Chicago

Post by Davethreshold » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi All.

I have been using WMC, and have loved it. In the last couple days though, ABC. no longer appears in the channel guide, (where you click a show to record it etc.) ALL the other stations are fine. Even the ABC. sub-stations are fine. This is a first. I live a few miles West of Chicago. Is anybody else having this problem? Moreover, can somebody tell me how to fix it? It might be an ABC problem for all I know. Any advice would be great! :problem:

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:33 pm

It's working fine here. I suspect the listings for your zipcode are goofed up. So first thing I'd try is to re-setup the guide with a different zipcode.

If you notice (well, its too late now for you), but the callsign for 7.1 and the others (7.2, 7.3) are different. 7.1 is WLSSTA and 7.2 & 7.3 are WLS-DT. It could be that zap2it got wise and deleted the WLSSTA, Station Temporary Authority, stuff. WLS runs two stations, one on ch7 and the other on ch44. If changing the zip code doesnt fix things, then manually add WLS on whatever channel you want to receive and then manually associate the guide listing from either of the -DT or STA guide listings under the Edit Channel menu.

You should also notice that for any WLS listing in the guide, if you go into Edit Channel/Edit Sources for WLS, that both the ch7 and ch44 frrequencies are listed. This causes no end of grief for some people who can receive one or the other but not both frequencies (like me!). If you're lucky and can receive both, there's nothing more to do. But if not, you should disable those sources for the frequency you cant receive.

No matter how you slice it, MCE really screws up reception for that station. Or maybe I should say that that station really screws up MCE. The fact you cant get a guide listing is just business as usual in my opinion.

Edit: I just noticed, one of my computers lists 7.3 as WLSSTA and gives no programming info. So it could very well be that zap2it deleted that callsign from the guide. All I did was Edit Channel/Edit Listings and selected the WLS-DT listing and all is well again.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Sounds similar to our (aeblank and my) issue. I wonder if zap 2 it is just cleaning house and screwing everything up.

apalousey

Post by apalousey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 am

I am having the same problem with WLS guide listings. The WMC Guide shows all six channels for WLS, which include WLS 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 plus WLSSTA (Special Temporary Authority) channels of 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3, however the Guide displays "No Data Available" for all WLS channels except 7.2. This problem developed a few days ago. For my ZIP code in Naperville, IL 60565, Zap2It does, in fact, show all the listings for all six channels and sub-channels of WLS with no problem. For some reason, the WMC cannot obtain or display the listings with the exception of 7.2

I have tried re-scanning the channels and requesting WMC to download the latest guide updates all to no avail.

Davethreshold

Post by Davethreshold » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:48 am

dmagerl wrote:It's working fine here. I suspect the listings for your zipcode are goofed up. So first thing I'd try is to re-setup the guide with a different zipcode.

If you notice (well, its too late now for you), but the callsign for 7.1 and the others (7.2, 7.3) are different. 7.1 is WLSSTA and 7.2 & 7.3 are WLS-DT. It could be that zap2it got wise and deleted the WLSSTA, Station Temporary Authority, stuff. WLS runs two stations, one on ch7 and the other on ch44. If changing the zip code doesnt fix things, then manually add WLS on whatever channel you want to receive and then manually associate the guide listing from either of the -DT or STA guide listings under the Edit Channel menu.

You should also notice that for any WLS listing in the guide, if you go into Edit Channel/Edit Sources for WLS, that both the ch7 and ch44 frrequencies are listed. This causes no end of grief for some people who can receive one or the other but not both frequencies (like me!). If you're lucky and can receive both, there's nothing more to do. But if not, you should disable those sources for the frequency you cant receive.

No matter how you slice it, MCE really screws up reception for that station. Or maybe I should say that that station really screws up MCE. The fact you cant get a guide listing is just business as usual in my opinion.

Edit: I just noticed, one of my computers lists 7.3 as WLSSTA and gives no programming info. So it could very well be that zap2it deleted that callsign from the guide. All I did was Edit Channel/Edit Listings and selected the WLS-DT listing and all is well again.
Thank you so much dmagerl! It worked like a charm! :D ;) :o :idea:

Davethreshold

Post by Davethreshold » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:51 am

apalousey wrote:I am having the same problem with WLS guide listings. The WMC Guide shows all six channels for WLS, which include WLS 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 plus WLSSTA (Special Temporary Authority) channels of 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3, however the Guide displays "No Data Available" for all WLS channels except 7.2. This problem developed a few days ago. For my ZIP code in Naperville, IL 60565, Zap2It does, in fact, show all the listings for all six channels and sub-channels of WLS with no problem. For some reason, the WMC cannot obtain or display the listings with the exception of 7.2

I have tried re-scanning the channels and requesting WMC to download the latest guide updates all to no avail.
apalousey, if you do this, it will solve it intantly. This is a quote from dmagerl in my above post:
“All I did was Edit Channel/Edit Listings and selected the WLS-DT listing and all is well again.”
That fixed mine instantly. Then, I re-ran the automatic download options thing: General/ auto download options/ download now (at bottom of that page.) :D

apalousey

Post by apalousey » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:10 am

Davethreshold, Your solution worked perfectly. I now have the correct listings as shown in Zap2It for all three WLS sub-channels. Thanks much! :D

Davethreshold

Post by Davethreshold » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:23 am

apalousey wrote:Davethreshold, Your solution worked perfectly. I now have the correct listings as shown in Zap2It for all three WLS sub-channels. Thanks much! :D
Thank you but we owe our thanks to dmagerl. :D

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:41 am

Thank you everyone for this thread.

A week or two ago I had 7.1 as WLSSTA & 7.2 as WLSSTA2. I think 7.3 was WLSDT3 but am not sure.

Since WLS is suppose to stop VHF 7.x in January 2013 I changed the tuner order in Edit Sources. It was 7.x ahead of 44.x. So I flipped them to 44.x before 7.x. I figured this would also change WLSSTA to WLSDT but at the time it did not.

Luckily I looked today. 7.1 was WLSDT but had no data. 7.2 was still WLSSTA2 but had no data. 7.3 is WLSDT3 and does have data.

When I looked at Edit Listings I noticed the 44.x was all WSNS. So I first changed the tuner line up back to 7.x before 44.x, even though I doubt that will make a difference. Then I changed the listings. Even though the listings stated STA for 7.2 the guide displays WLSDT2. That’s OK with me but it makes me wonder why it previously was WLSSTA2.

Any idea what’s going to happen in January when WLS stops using 7.x? Will channel numbers 7.x be dropped from the Edit Sources listing? Will a channel re-scan be necessary to make sure everyone’s tuner is getting WLS on 44.x? IOW how do I know if I'm getting one or both frequencies?

Davethreshold

Post by Davethreshold » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am

Wow. Now I'm stumped. The only way I can get regular ABC (7.1) to work at all is to use the ch 44.1 setting. :)

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:08 pm

When you say to "get regular ABC", do mean get the signal or get the EPG data?

I have both 7.1 and 44.1 listed under Edit Sources. 7.1 is listed above 44.1. My understanding is that 7.1 will be used if possible. If not then the tuner will use 44.1. Or I can change the order. Mine were both enabled & I kept them that way.