Dead - Watch UV movies in Media Center

Tracer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Dead - Watch UV movies in Media Center

Post by Tracer » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Cinemanow recently updated their application now all downloads are in FLV instead of WMV. I sent a support ticket asking if they can add the option in the app to download WMV and they said they might look into it for future versions. If anyone else is doing this they might want to put in a support ticket as well. Maybe if they get enough interest they will add WMV back as a download format.
If you don't already know what UV (ultraviolet) is there are a number of sites that can provide additional details. But, basically it is a digital locker system that stores movies you have purchased from sites that are part of the UV family and DVDs and Blurays that include a UV copy. The good thing is no matter where you obtained the UV copy you can watch it on any site that is part of the UV family that you have linked your UV uvvu.com account with. The bad news is for Media Center users is most of these sites only offer web streaming and there is no way to view the movies in Media Center or on extenders. That is until recently when CinemaNow joined the UV family, CinemaNow gives you the ability to also download many of your UV titles (not all some are still have streaming only option).

Here's a how to watch your UV movies in Media Center.

1. You will need a UV account on uvvu.com, if you don't already have one.

2. You will need an account on cinemanow.com, if you don't already have one.

3. You wil need to link your UV account with your CinemaNow account cinemanow.com/myAccount

4. Once you have your accounts linked any of your UV titles should show up in My Library on the CinemaNow website.

5. You should see a download link for any title that is available for download. Once you press the download link it will ask you to install the RoviPlayer http://www.cinemanow.com/#installPlayer this player will download the movie in WMV format which is compatable with Media Center.

6. If you need to need to change ghe default location where the movies are downloaded, under options you can change the download path from the default to the location where you store your Movie downloads in my case I store them on my Windows Home Server.

7. Then you can use your whatever app you currently use to view your movie downloads, like Media Browser or My Movies.

Hope other members will find this useful.
Last edited by Tracer on Fri May 24, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Going to dredge this up as I'm just starting to look into UV. What quality is the WMV you can download, or do you have a choice?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:21 pm

^That's a good question. So far, it seems the only way to get UV titles is from purchasing the disc. Am I wrong?

If I purchased the disc then I really don't need to download a UV copy. I do appreciate the OPs instructions nonetheless, especially if somebody does offer an on-line store which comes back to the question of quality.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 pm

No choice on the quality of the download (WMV) file.

Yes UV copies normally come from the purchase of the DVD or BluRay, the advantage of downloading the WMV is you can watch the WMV files on the Media Center or extenders without having to insert the disc or having to convert the DVD or BluRay to a digital format. Plus if you have already purchased a DVD or BluRay that includes a UV copy the download of the WMV file from Cinemanow is free.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:56 am

So is the quality HD-level if you have an HD digital copy?

Personally my feeling is that if I already have the blu-ray, sure I could make a rip for a local version, but I like the idea of having it done for me- no hassle and it'll be encoded probably better than I could.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:31 am

Embiggens wrote:So is the quality HD-level if you have an HD digital copy?

Personally my feeling is that if I already have the blu-ray, sure I could make a rip for a local version, but I like the idea of having it done for me- no hassle and it'll be encoded probably better than I could.
I just got a router that has USB HDD Cloud functionality along with DLNA, regular network sharing and iTunes library sharing (music only on that part though :/ ); so I'm thinking of making an entire copy of my BR rips in iTunes spec/quality for my Android Devices (and will finally solve extender compatibility).

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

The quality depends on how it was downloaded and the UV source.

Example: If you do a disc to digital option, then you can get either "SD" or "HD" versions of the converted disc. There are several Disc to digital methods such as Online via Vudu, Going into a Walmart, CinemaNow, etc.

Many studios only offer SD versions even for UV downloads that come "free" with Blu-ray discs. For the most part DVDs come with "SD" versions and BluRays come with "HD" versions.

It is now possible to purchase a movie (cinemanow, Vudu, flixter and others) in digital only format; so buying a physical disc is not longer required. I prefer physical media since if anything happens to the ecosystem there would still be ways to digitize the content.

For more details on the video profiles (SD/HD) and other items: http://www.uvdemystified.com/uvfaq.html#3.2.2
Time is on my side.

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for the link, interesting stuff in there.

Given that strange 'only the first year is guaranteed to be free' condition, I will definitely not be purchasing digital-only copies.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 am

I saw nothing of video bitrate in that link; only audio. Did I overlook it?

Embiggens

Post by Embiggens » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Just the video resolution is given, I'm sure they would prefer to leave it in those terms to trick suckers like me. I may try downloading one of my Batman movies and having a look when I have time.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:17 pm

Yeah all my UV movies are only available to stream via VUDU (got a few for some sign up promotion); and they aren't available for download. I'd be interested to see what you find out.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm

staknhalo wrote:Yeah all my UV movies are only available to stream via VUDU (got a few for some sign up promotion); and they aren't available for download. I'd be interested to see what you find out.
Signup for CinemaNow link the CinemaNow account with the same UV account you are using with Vudu and then you should be able to download the movies using CinemaNow.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Tracer wrote:
staknhalo wrote:Yeah all my UV movies are only available to stream via VUDU (got a few for some sign up promotion); and they aren't available for download. I'd be interested to see what you find out.
Signup for CinemaNow link the CinemaNow account with the same UV account you are using with Vudu and then you should be able to download the movies using CinemaNow.
Thanks, doing that now. Gonna download the 2 most recently released movies and see what the avg bitrate is. Or would you happen to know already? We already know VUDU HDX are about 10,000kbps.

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:34 pm

Just downloaded The Dark Crystal in WMV from CinemaNow
720x360 total bitrate 4717

Downloaded The Hobbit the other day
720x266 total bitrate 4715

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah matches with what I saw on The Perfect Storm, The Siege, Valentines Day and Wrong Turn 2 (aside from The Siege - I said these were free; don't judge. The 'other' saw Valentines Day and now I have to watch that :X ).

offroad

Post by offroad » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:10 pm

Okay let me understand this.

1) You are downloading your UV movies via the CinemaNow web site, or application? Downloading the WMV version directly to your computer, and saving it for watching later?

2) Does the WMV version have DRM that will erase the movie, if you drop the UV license on a movie you own? or that is just not applicable?

3) Will these WMV downloaded movies work with third party apps inside WMC like various media center movie browsers?

**** or are we locked out. all movies download are FLV only now? *****

Do we have an FLV player linked into WMC yet? (was reading the dates of the postings and got confused about the comments from OP).

offroad

Post by offroad » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:37 pm

There are actually three applications that will let you download movies from your UV account to your PC.

FLIXSTER DESKTOP
CINEMANOW PLAYER
VUDOTOGO

so it would be good to test all three, and see what downloads. If a FLASH file downloads with DRM then hopefully WMC has some kind of flash player built in. anyone test this yet?

offroad

Post by offroad » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:46 pm

CINEMANOW will let you stream UV and looks like none of the others will let you stream.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 pm

It's a shame CinemaNow killed the WMC web based plugin. I actually used it to rent when we were too lazy to go to Redbox.

offroad

Post by offroad » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:19 pm

Likely killed for lack of security. People could duplicate movies with ease. Now you need to run movies in a window with a capture software for $50 to grab them.