First time powering up the Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
MrD!

HTPC Specs: Show details

First time powering up the Echo

Post by MrD! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:26 am

I'm interested about what responses you got from the Echo when first powering it up. My 1st Echo was sent back RMA today. My 2nd one arrived yesterday and it looks like I'm having problems (different ones) with this one. When I powered it up the ceton light is solid and as time went by the red LEDs started lighting up solid from left to right. It got to the 3rd light and stopped there. After about 2 hours I gave up and power cycled it. Now I'm back to having 3 LEDs and holding. I also didn't get anything from the hdmi. Here's what I'd like to know: What did yours do? How long did it take to do it? At what point did you get anything on the hdmi? Is it working now?

FrankAZ

Post by FrankAZ » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 am

Very similar to others including myself reporting here. Mine is presently on its way back to Ceton under RMA.

Most importantly, do not be tempted to use the ctnechorecovery.exe until Ceton give you the go-ahead and you have everything just-so with network connectivity. It seems that you have only one opportunity for that to work and if Ceton are not ready to receive the phone home you are stuck.

Good luck.

Frank.
Last edited by FrankAZ on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
i3-540 | DH57DD | 4GB DDR3-1333 | InfiniTV4 \ 2250 | Intel SSD \ WD 1TB | Silverstone GD05

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:16 am

It looks like for some reason it is having an issue downloading and installing the updated firmware. When it goes into this mode it is going through recovery and should only take about 5 to 10 minutes to finish this entire process.

As for recovery you should be able to do it multiple times with the tool, however we have to approve your echo via the MAC address.

How is the echo configured on your network? Through switches or directly to the router?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

MrD!

Post by MrD! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm

I've got it connected directly to my router in place of a bluray player so I could be sure of a working connection.

When you first connect and power it up and if it fails do we need get our mac reapproved for download or is it only when running ceton recovery?

Thanks

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Only with the recovery tool should you need the MAC address approval, the auto recovery should be just fine. Let me know what it is doing and if it updates, if not I would submit in a ticket so we can do the recovery tool today, reference this thread.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

MrD!

Post by MrD! » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:30 am

It's still the way it was before I went to work. I'm submitting the ticket now. Thanks Motz

MrD!

Post by MrD! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:16 am

Still no luck, I referenced the post and they approved my MAC and I went through the recovery process. We did this twice. When a recovery is done is it also loading current firmware? Reason I ask is it seems to do the recovery (it connects and progresses through all ten steps) but after it reboots, I get the Ceton light lit solid and the red leds light up progressively from left to right but stall on the 3rd one and that's where I'm stuck. This is what it did when I first fired it up new and I assumed it was an update.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:31 am

So after the manual recovery process it puts verion 2012.1203.xxxx on which is the official stable release. After step 10 it should reboot and then ask you to configure your WMC Extender with the key digits on the screen.

The red lights are bad, which means that there is an issue and it is attempting to go into recovery which is where the 3 red lights are at.

It sounds like there might be a hardware issue with it which means we will have to RMA it for you. Please update the ticket with this information.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

MrD!

Post by MrD! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 am

I was afraid of that. I just sent back 1 RMA Wednesday. Do you know what the approximate turnaround is on RMA units? Will they cross ship an exchange with a credit card? I can't believe my luck 2 bad in a row. Thanks for your help Motz.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:58 am

Arg! That is no good, I am so sorry about that. I am pretty sure we can cross ship it via an advanced return. PM me your ticket # and I will talk to the RMA department on monday.
I Write, Code, and Tweet