Skip Forward/Backword Not Working after Windows 8 Upgrade

orbs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Skip Forward/Backword Not Working after Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by orbs » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:44 am

Hi Everyone,

I took the Win8 plunge on my Media Center (I know, I know... I have a Windows Phone 8 and thousands of songs from Zune Pass which aren't supported on WP8 so I need XBOX Music to sync my giant music library... and yes, this is the only PC I have for this... it's worth it for me...).

Anyway, I have a Logitech Harmony One remote and it seems to be working well in Win8 Media Center for the most part. The only issue I've found is that Skip Forward and Skip Backwards don't seem to do anything anymore when watching recorded content (I can't play Live TV yet due to a tuner issue). The IR software confirms the PC is getting the signal and I confirmed the IR software is configured to treat the signals as Media Center commands.

I have no other software running on the machine so I doubt anything is interfering.

Any ideas how to get my Skip Forward / Skip Backward to work again?

Thanks!
Jared

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:40 pm

I suppose the first question is: if you plug in just a regular keyboard, do the skip commands work? Ctrl-B and Ctrl-F?

If they do work, maybe you can try reassigning the individual buttons to perform the ctrl b and f? I'm not sure why those aren't specifically functioning, but this may be a decent work-around.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

orbs

Post by orbs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks, Mike :)

Ctrl+B and Ctrl+F do work. I don't know if Harmony can map to keyboard combinations though. I tried to do that once and couldn't figure it out. Does anyone have instructions for that?

Thanks,
Jared

STC

Post by STC » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:38 am

Hmm, I just checked mine, and although I do have a device installed called 'SE Keyboard' that has a lot of IR key combos it does not list CTRL-B or CTRL-F.
I was going to suggest trying this device and setting your buttons accordingly but it's a dead-end.

I think the only way to fix this is to find out and rectify why Win8MC does not respond to these buttons.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

orbs

Post by orbs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:11 pm

STC, it turns out the iMon tool has an override per program (executable). So I was able to override what the skip and replay buttons on the harmony do. The iMon tool does let you use keyboard commands so I set skip to be CTRL+F and replay to be CTRL+B for the Windows Media Center executable. Now I can skip forward/back just fine :)

Next (and hopefully final...) project is to figure out how to control the XBOX Music modern app with my Harmony. I can play/pause but I can't skip with either my remote or the media keys on my keyboard. I may be missing the right keyboard drivers or something. I need to look into that :).

Other than a music solution, my Media Center on Win8 is working extremely well!!