Anyone installed W8 on a Flash/USB drive?

milli260876

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone installed W8 on a Flash/USB drive?

Post by milli260876 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:24 am

Building a mini itx pc for bedroom, just seen a usb drive for £20 (64gb).
Thought I might try it... Anyone done it???
Lee

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes. Works fine for testing purposes, but much too slow to use every day. Follow the procedure posted elsewhere for the consumer preview. Too lengthy to post here.

trini0

Post by trini0 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

But be careful. It may not "totally" work.

This past weekend, I followed the instructions at TechNet to install Hyper-V Server 2012 to a USB thumb drive.
The process is based on setting up Windows To Go for Windows 8.
The system booted up on it, and seemed to operate correctly.
But for some reason, there were little oddities that didn't make sense. Like powershell refused to run. There were other commands that executed, but gave incorrect output.
At first I thought it was because I installed drivers into the wim file. But trying without custom drivers resulted in the same oddities.

I did some further research and a requirement for Windows To Go, is that the thumb drive has to be a fixed drive to the OS, not a removable drive (normally thumb drives are removable).
There are some brands of thumb drives that can be hacked to make it act as a fixed drive.
Mine unfortunately I could find a solution to hack it, so I went back to hard drives.
I'm not sure if this is why my install wasn't working correctly. But I didn't want to take the chance.

So with that said, I'm not sure how you plan to the OS to a thumb drive, but just be careful