multiple installs of WMC7, will it work?

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
tcman50

HTPC Specs: Show details

multiple installs of WMC7, will it work?

Post by tcman50 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I currently have a haupaugge hvr-2250 tuner card installed in my computer downstairs next to my 52" tv. I feed it 50 over-air-channels from my townhomes antenna jack at the same location, half the channels are HD and all are in excellent reception.

Upstairs in my loft I have my main computer with windows 8 on it along with the free windows media center download. I want to move my tv tuner upstairs, I all ready have a cable feed that runs upstairs from a previous installation, can i record shows on my upstairs computer, share the tv recordings folder over my wired 1gb network and then watch them on my downstairs setup as mentioned above?

Also will I suffer any DB lose running the antenna feed to the upstairs computer/tv tuner card, the cabling run is about 40' total max.?

thanks
WMC7 recording backend, XBMC12 media display frontend.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:39 pm

yes, sharing the shows will work. But you are right to be concerned about the extra cable run.

Let me ask you: why do you want to move the TV tuner upstairs? Can't you simply continue to record on the downstairs machine, and watch the shows on the upstairs machine?

If you continue to record the shows downstairs, you know you'll continue to get excellent reception and recordings.

tcman50

Post by tcman50 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:05 pm

The upstairs computer only has a 27" monitor, want to watch the recordings on the downstairs 52"tv. Its just that my up stairs computer has my media drives, conversion software, etc, its where i spend most of my time at a computer. Plus its the one computer thats always on in my home, rather not have a second computer on all the time, eats up the elec bill, etc.

The downstairs computer is a just a little box i built to feed media (if you will) to my big screen tv, the computer upstairs is where I download material, archive it on media drives, have conversion programs, etc, etc.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Move the tuner and see what happens. If you don't get good results, replace your cable with a high quality coax cable and connectors. If you can find a cable installer to make you a 50 foot cable, brand new with new connectors properly attached, all the better.

Do you already have ethernet running between the two machines? Don't try to do this over wireless.

tcman50

Post by tcman50 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:28 pm

yes, everything is on a wired 1gb network :)